League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 19

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Discussion] AP vs AD Ezreal (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=76390)

Kikhan 03-17-2010 11:30 AM

[Discussion] AP vs AD Ezreal

As Ezreal is new everyone is deciding what fits their play styles or needs. Just looking to throw something on the board for people to throw the debate into.

In general as I see it at the moment. You need to decide what would help your team more when you play him and build him to fill that role. As a carry dps build or more as a support buff and ranged burst dmg build. I am not really going to focus on items as they are going to be discussed in people's builds for that particular type of build.

AD build: For the most part you are totally building around the Q attack as it's effectiveness is based off your damage. So your priorities will be on damage and attack speed items. Also of course you will want some lifesteal. I'd advise getting at least one item with some AP on it at least though so that your other 3 abillities are not totally gimped. Your playstyle will likely be something similar to Katarina.

Pro's good attack damage and a hard hitting long range bolt that comes off cd pretty quickly. Strong early game tends to weaken toward's end game, less mana dependant.

Con's depends more on standing and auto attacking, weaker towards end game.

AP build: You will assuredly be stacking AP with decent ratio's for 3 of his abillities with his ulti being 1:1 ratio I believe. This build adds nice support with firing the w abillity into a group fight healing/increasing attk speed teammates and damaging/slowing attk speed of enemies. The E abillity teleport also gains a nice kick for chasing/last hitting or kiting and bleeding someone out. With the nice ration on your ulti the AP makes it able to cause significant damage when nearing the end game and makes the weakening of it as it passes through units less noticeable. I would pick up one good AD item though for the Q abillity and auto attack damage or just rely on Lichbane.

Pro's the support abillities are considerably more effective. Strong end game effectiveness with abillities.

Con's much more mana dependant so requires some conserving early to mid game. Weaker starting game till you get your farm on.

My preferences so far is if the team makes me solo mid to carry I go for the AD build as this allows me to get last hits more often and harass the opposing Champ better. Unfortunately I have not been able to really gimp opposing Champs nearly as much as I can when using say Sivir, Ashe, or Teemo.
If I am able to get a side lane then I can do the AP build which in general I think fits his game design better.

Just looking for thoughts or if people have been adjusting their game play or any constructive comments on Ezreal the new Champion among us.

Page 6 has some theory crafting and hard numbers for comparisons for those not wanting to read through pages of stuff looking for such things. Thnx Godsend23

Just for ****s an giggles did a tally on this forum on people's votes that I could kind of discern their preferences. (fairly even spread)

AP 16
Hybrid/Flexbuilding 8
AD 12

Azing 03-17-2010 11:55 AM

The biggest problem with AP Ezreal is the fact he burns through mana so fast. AP Ezreal just is way to costly skill wise to be effective. Making it worst is the fact that as AP Ezreal you only have 1 skill that can be effectively used all the time. His E ability is difficult to hit the right target in many situations and in order to hit it can mean putting him in a position that could get him killed, not to mention the mana it uses can drain his pool so quickly.

Right now AD Ezreal is most effect right now primarily due to mana issues. His damage is also less bursty and he can take benefit from his passive. Still even as AD I do believe investing in some AP is beneficial such as items like Rageblade or TF.

Kikhan 03-17-2010 12:01 PM

Well all builds incorporate a mana regen item even the AD ones. Now the AD one you can do fine with something that just gives MP5 w/ likely adding survivabillity. While AP if you dont want to worry about the mana then get the chalice its cheap and when your low you regen plenty fast to use w/e u need.

haaaaaaaalp 03-17-2010 12:06 PM

I play him as AD but I don't really like soloing mid with him. He strikes me as more of a secondary carry who can support the main carry with w and still do a good deal of damage. He doesn't really have the range or disables to make him a primary carry.

EchoRex 03-17-2010 12:08 PM

Definitely AP, it is much, much more of an impact type build.

http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/E...7a1b6a24c4967e

Sell the Chalice late game, take a Haunting Guise.

Azing 03-17-2010 12:10 PM

From what I play its just mana will ALWAYS be a problem from him. He burns it so fast that it makes it difficult. Chalice isn't as much of a 'god sent' has people believe. It can help but by far it doesn't regen as greatly as many people think.

Still the fact remains as AP Ezeal goes damage will be busty and in many cases limited. His E just can't be used very well against smart players who will know to keep near creeps during the laning phase. His w ability is his only real weapon to use and the damage output from that will be less. At the same AP still does give great potential with its heal for any allies with you.

Mana will just be his killing point if your focusing on his abilities. Golem buff is pretty much a need for an AP Ezreal and even with mana solved it still doesn't make up for the fact he essencially only has 1 ability to use against enemies during the laning phase unless a chance opens up for his teleport to be useful without getting him badly hurt more then the damage he does to the opponent.

gun fu panda 03-17-2010 12:10 PM

AP has problems farming gold for the items it needs to carry.

Azing 03-17-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo7 (Hozzászólás 849259)
Definitely AP, it is much, much more of an impact type build.

http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/E...7a1b6a24c4967e

Sell the Chalice late game, take a Haunting Guise.

1 good CC on that and he is toast. Looking at your item and rune choice, sorry to say but I really see that as a horrible build. 1 Banshee's veil can make up for all that MR you spam in runes and provide so much more beneficial effect. Magic Penetration Quints are also a bad investment. Lack of Magic Pen item like void staff (even if you put in haunting guise) will just let smart teams laugh when they put on banshee and counter your penetration as they rip you a new hole.

Zaouron 03-17-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azing (Hozzászólás 849158)
The biggest problem with AP Ezreal is the fact he burns through mana so fast. AP Ezreal just is way to costly skill wise to be effective. Making it worst is the fact that as AP Ezreal you only have 1 skill that can be effectively used all the time. His E ability is difficult to hit the right target in many situations and in order to hit it can mean putting him in a position that could get him killed, not to mention the mana it uses can drain his pool so quickly.

Right now AD Ezreal is most effect right now primarily due to mana issues. His damage is also less bursty and he can take benefit from his passive. Still even as AD I do believe investing in some AP is beneficial such as items like Rageblade or TF.

I agree with the mana issues when going an AP build, but this can be countered if planned for. Using a utility mastery build, using mana regen runes, selecting clarity as a summoner spell, and getting a mana regen item for a starter all help in alleviating early mana issues.

He also must be played differently when AP. You'll be sitting back in the back lines for the first half of team battles using 'W' to heal/buff/debuff and tossing a 'Q' in there when you can (pretty much non-stop). Also, you only start with 1 pt in 'Q'. It's extremely spammable early game and is best used for last hitting minions as well as harassing (Up to about level 5 or 6, then the damage falls off until you can start putting points into it).

You're definitely more support though. I'd compare Ez to Niddy when it comes to AP/AD. You can be a good carry with an AD build, or more bursty/support role with AP. You'll be an excellent chaser as either build as long as you get a Frost mallet/Rylai's.

Madawc 03-17-2010 12:18 PM

chalice/I.E/boots3/last whisper/Bloodthirster/Pdancer

reason for Pdancer over black cleaver, black cleaver works against last whisper. and your already hitting like a truck.

AP ezreal has good burst but cant follow up for the kill, while AD ezreal can kill fast with only auto attacks