League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Vayne's Mind Shield (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=733636)

OberonDark 05-10-2011 01:48 PM

Vayne's Mind Shield

How can she shield her mind from summoners as a human where other, infinitely powerful more beings could not, and were reduced to near tears from their ordeal?

The whole badass thing isn't really going with me well.

Dracorya 05-10-2011 02:04 PM

Some people just have better discipline/willpower then others. Just because a person LOOKS more powerful on the outside doesn't mean their mental fortitude is the same.

And she was hardly the first, Swain and Leblanc both told the Summoners flat out that they would never allow their minds to be freely probed. The Summoners only saw what they wanted them to see.

Sylph 05-10-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dracorya (Hozzászólás 8716562)
Some people just have better discipline/willpower then others. Just because a person LOOKS more powerful on the outside doesn't mean their mental fortitude is the same.

And she was hardly the first, Swain and Leblanc both told the Summoners flat out that they would never allow their minds to be freely probed. The Summoners only saw what they wanted them to see.

(( Nice to see you back in action Dracorya! ))

Dracorya 05-10-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylph (Hozzászólás 8717233)
(( Nice to see you back in action Dracorya! ))

:3 Finals are stealing my soul, but I try.

CARDBOARDWARRIOR 05-10-2011 02:38 PM

Quite a few champions have screwed with the summoners before. Lee Sin, Swain and Leblanc off the top of my head.

Vayne can only do it because she is a Mary Sue, though.

belthazor3457 05-10-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dracorya (Hozzászólás 8716562)

This is kinda the point, though. There's only three champions I know of to have officially manipulated the summoners in their league judgements, those champions are Lee Sin, Swain, and LeBlanc. Champions who may have the ability to shield their minds are generally limited to champions who have a gigantic ammount of mental discipline or a gigantic ammount of magical knowledge.

Lee Sin was the blind monk who had the mental discipline to keep himself on-fire for a lengthy time, obviously a legendary feat of mental willpower.

Swain clearly had a large understanding of summoner magic and mental fortitute with which to use it.

LeBlanc decieved a summoner and then revealed her deception, as she always does.

Vayne... was essentially "given" summoner immunity. Her league judgement is the -only- league judgement I have ever considered down-rating apart from the miss fortune league judgement, and Brand's league judgement.

Vayne's lore is essentially a Van Helsing rip. That's not a bad thing, drawing ideas from somewhere else does not automatically mean lower quality. But in this case, it was a bit ridiculous. No one will like or believe the lore of a character who god-modes without substantial mental and magical power to back it up.

You have Vayne, who looks like she's in her early twenties in terms of age, (approximate) whom is suddenly being put above the level of LeBlanc, Swain, and Lee Sin, whom are much older, much more experienced, and according to Vayne's lore, much more intelligent.

I say that because, having read Vayne's league judgement observation, she is essentially a wayward vigilante who goes around killing people she thinks to be evil, without any form of trial or defense given. There is a reason that's not lawful, because you end up murdering innocent people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time, or whom study an enemy's weaknesses, rather than mindlessly charging them.

Vayne's league judgement was even more poorly written than Brand and Miss Fortune's (so far, this brings the total of ones I have disliked up to three). Creating a character and giving it god-mode with no solid background or reasoning tied into it is ridiculous, and the "badass hot chick with a crossbow" doesn't fly as an excuse.

As for Vayne intimidating the summoners and forcing their cooperation, that was incredibly ridiculous. I'd let the mental bits go if it were not for the threats and intimidation that forced the summoners to cooperate with her.

NO ORGANIZATION that is dedicated to keeping peace and preventing wars on a global scale will EVER bow to intimidation, especially by one single individual who has no non-personal resources at their disposal. I found that part of her lore insulting. I also found it rather insulting that one of the summoners would say "I'm sorry for your loss." ...no other champions get that luxury. Why should she? Does she suddenly get special handling because she's still a reasonably young girl in comparison to the other champions? That's ridiculous!

She even openly stated her intention was to, if possible, murder other league champions off the fields of justice - completely oblivious to the fact that this could destabilize all the league has worked for, and the league just lets her in because she intimidated a couple summoners? Ridiculous!

There's too many flaws in her lore and in her character to actually cut it as a league champion, the "badass chick with a crossbow" excuse doesn't fly for me. Not when there's so much wrong with her anyway. I think I'm going to go post the above as a response to her league judgement thread..

ReLaTiviT 05-10-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belthazor3457 (Hozzászólás 8719822)
This is kinda the point, though. There's only three champions I know of to have officially manipulated the summoners in their league judgements, those champions are Lee Sin, Swain, and LeBlanc. Champions who may have the ability to shield their minds are generally limited to champions who have a gigantic ammount of mental discipline or a gigantic ammount of magical knowledge.

Lee Sin was the blind monk who had the mental discipline to keep himself on-fire for a lengthy time, obviously a legendary feat of mental willpower.

Swain clearly had a large understanding of summoner magic and mental fortitute with which to use it.

LeBlanc decieved a summoner and then revealed her deception, as she always does.

Vayne... was essentially "given" summoner immunity. Her league judgement is the -only- league judgement I have ever considered down-rating apart from the miss fortune league judgement, and Brand's league judgement.

Vayne's lore is essentially a Van Helsing rip. That's not a bad thing, drawing ideas from somewhere else does not automatically mean lower quality. But in this case, it was a bit ridiculous. No one will like or believe the lore of a character who god-modes without substantial mental and magical power to back it up.

You have Vayne, who looks like she's in her early twenties in terms of age, (approximate) whom is suddenly being put above the level of LeBlanc, Swain, and Lee Sin, whom are much older, much more experienced, and according to Vayne's lore, much more intelligent.

I say that because, having read Vayne's league judgement observation, she is essentially a wayward vigilante who goes around killing people she thinks to be evil, without any form of trial or defense given. There is a reason that's not lawful, because you end up murdering innocent people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time, or whom study an enemy's weaknesses, rather than mindlessly charging them.

Vayne's league judgement was even more poorly written than Brand and Miss Fortune's (so far, this brings the total of ones I have disliked up to three). Creating a character and giving it god-mode with no solid background or reasoning tied into it is ridiculous, and the "badass hot chick with a crossbow" doesn't fly as an excuse.

As for Vayne intimidating the summoners and forcing their cooperation, that was incredibly ridiculous. I'd let the mental bits go if it were not for the threats and intimidation that forced the summoners to cooperate with her.

NO ORGANIZATION that is dedicated to keeping peace and preventing wars on a global scale will EVER bow to intimidation, especially by one single individual who has no non-personal resources at their disposal. I found that part of her lore insulting. I also found it rather insulting that one of the summoners would say "I'm sorry for your loss." ...no other champions get that luxury. Why should she? Does she suddenly get special handling because she's still a reasonably young girl in comparison to the other champions? That's ridiculous!

She even openly stated her intention was to, if possible, murder other league champions off the fields of justice - completely oblivious to the fact that this could destabilize all the league has worked for, and the league just lets her in because she intimidated a couple summoners? Ridiculous!

There's too many flaws in her lore and in her character to actually cut it as a league champion, the "badass chick with a crossbow" excuse doesn't fly for me. Not when there's so much wrong with her anyway. I think I'm going to go post the above as a response to her league judgement thread..

QUANTUM FIELD THEORY!

Seriously though, everyone upvote this, I agree that Vayne's lore is one of the most insulting ever written, Urgot needs to see the writer.

LordHippoman 05-10-2011 06:39 PM

Vayne's lore was pretty good, but I think it was almost Mary Sue'ish. Seriously, point out one problem. She handled her judgement perfectly, snuck into the most secure building in Runeterra, and now she's gonna break League rules to KILL THEIR CHAMPIONS???

Dracorya 05-10-2011 07:10 PM

I think you're assuming too much. A person under duress can achieve the same amount of training that person who has had more time can do as well. Its not that unbelievable that Vayne's drive to prevent the same evil that befell her family to happen to other people. Determination is a powerful motivator.

If you really want to go by that thread, you can accuse basically every other vigilante based character of the same faults.

And how do you know that the League is ONLY dedicated to peace and stability? And she "intimidated" them? You didn't read the judgement carefully enough if you came to that conclusion. There is something brewing right now within the League (at least with the leadership) and they want to have the ability to keep a close eye on Vayne. After all, "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." The conversation that the Summoners had at the end was proof that.

SethCypher 05-10-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dracorya (Hozzászólás 8736726)
I think you're assuming too much. A person under duress can achieve the same amount of training that person who has had more time can do as well. Its not that unbelievable that Vayne's drive to prevent the same evil that befell her family to happen to other people. Determination is a powerful motivator.

There should be a point where you draw the line for excuses for a character. I am dead serious when I say Xin Zhao probably had more determination than 200 people, and he still practically dropped dead. This isn't assuming so much as letting Riot do whatever the hell they want with a character with little to no development. We are simply told Vayne tragically lost her rich life and suddenly she becomes badass chick who can fend off mind**** magic? Sure determination is a powerful motivator but...tell that to other 72 champions that have gone through the same **** and seem to have just as much determination, if not a better goal.