League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide]- AP Tristana : "Look Poppy!I can do this **** too!" (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=707427)

Felix67 04-30-2011 08:51 PM

[Guide]- AP Tristana : "Look Poppy!I can do this **** too!"

Hello there.I have recently decided to do this guide about AP tristana because i kick ass and have over 10000 kills and 2000 elo...Kiddin,now,if you want some sort of reason to stick to the guide,i have nothing else than the promise that its about to get fun in here.Why?Because i have links to nude pics of Jessica Alba and Kate Moss at the end!...Again,kidding...but u never know!

Anyway,im a regular player,and i dont wanna start this guide with stuff like "I did 50/0/11 and im a pro so u gotta read this".But im also one of the few players who saw that change to tristanas E and said "Wow,this girl has burst potential now!".And not Blitz burst potential.I mean 1-shot-wtf burst potential.

Now imma see some fire bellow in the form of "Waste of Q and pasive noob!" and guess what...you are right! It is indeed waste of a very nice ranged DPS...But what if i promise u will unlock 1 of the best nukers?All in all,b4 the hate begins,DPS trist rocks,i just found out that she can walk a different path since the patch that changed her E and im sharing it.

So,you have reached to the part of the guide that u actually read...Why u wanna pick/not pick our little blue beauty as AP:

Pros
-1 of the best single target nuke potential
-Outstanding AP ratios
-Capable of dominating against the majority of mid champs
-Noone expects you to go AP and surprise gives you the upper hand

Cons
-If you havent pilled up some kills early,prepare for a difficult late game
-Once your ult is used you havent much in the terms of reliable damage
-Really squishy,especially since my build doesnt include you much in terms of defence
-You may end up 30/2/15 and still lose the game...

Abilities

Q: Really good steroids which we r gonna take...last,cuz rly it isnt good for this AP chick

W: Damage,slow and escape tool.Reminds me of corkis valkyrie.Remember,u must keep the agressive part of this skill only for early game.Later you are gonna need it for positioning near the squishiest champ and escaping the most.As you proceed to learning AP trist,you will be using it for some pretty good dmge.And remember,it refreshes at each champion kill.Nice AP ratio,nice leap range,nice skill in all,can spell doom if misused though.

E: They turned this thing to 1 of the best harassing dots early game.This is the skill that made me turn back to AP trist and its really good.It also has a nice 1:1 AP ratio to make it hurt during late game too.Whats better?You cut the healing received so not even soraka can survive your burst.Oh,it has a passive too?Deals dmge on killshot?Yeah...Good for farming...yup...but seriously,the active is sick.

R: Baby,baby,baby oh...Justin Bieber dies when u fire this...i have dropped a Teemo from 60% to 0% infront of his base once with this.We are talking about 1200 potential dmge late game.Really good nuke,low cooldown,sick AP ratio,can hurt with minimum AP.Just be carefull not to "Save" someone with the knockback.Use it at about 35% of life on any squishy early game,and hear the sound of victory 2 secs after as they died by your dots...Orgasm...

Passive: Gives auto attack range...but we depend on spell range so...naaaah

You want to harrass so you can soften em up b4 the big boom...So E gets priotity against W,and ofcourse R every time it pops.I guess you can take 1 point at Q but...who gives a **** when u kill so fast you havent even the chance to autoattack?

R->E->W->Q

Summoner Spells

Flash + Ignite : the classic combo for every AP carry works rly good on trist. Ignite+E leaves insane dots on the enemy and is irreplacable, while flash gives extra escape and surprise butsecks potential!

Runes

Reconsidering the runes to better fit the higher lvl players and the current meta, i strongly advise the following setup:
Magic Pen Marks : Classic,no need to esplain
Flast Health Seals : Early survival.Might save you from an ignite tick or two when you need it (which has occured to me rly often).You can consider AP/lvl if you find health too expensive but i dont advise anything else.
AP/lvl Glyphs : Classic.
Movement Speed Quints : The reason i switched to movement speed from AP quints with almost every AP carry i play is the juke potential they give me against skillshot mids. Anivias Q, Brands W, i used to barely escape them, now i can avoid them with slight prediction. Also, i found myself needing another autohit to finish my fleeing opponents. Those quints allow me to do so. They also give me the bonus i miss from going in the defense tree instead of utility.

Masteries

I strongly advise towards 21/9/0 build .Get all the AP oriented masteries at the offense tree and be sure to take the health bonus of defense tree. AP trist is combo based champ, you wont miss the extra mana from utility tree,nor the extra speed as mentioned above. Health on the other way complement ur runes and allow you to survive duels at mid lane.

Items

-[B]Boots + 3 health pots (stack with the quints to give early mobility for the reasons mentioned)
-boots->sorcerers
-Rabadons (unleash hellfire)
-Lichbane (to complete the combo and for sustainable damage)
-Banshees (i usually dont get it but i wouldnt be a good guide writer if i didnt mention it...)
-Void Staff (because we hate magic resist)
-Deathfire grasp (to drop from 100% to 0% anyone that thinks is safe now that he got his BV)

You can avoid DFG if you are not a fun of clicking items (im not too) but it really takes her burst to the next level.Feel free to add more defensive items according to the situation.
Wether you take your boots or rabadons first is up to the gold u got till your first recall.I usually recall first time with 1 kill at my back and im able to get the +40 AP rod and maybe the basic boots OR pots and ward.I find it more convinient to at least buy the basic boots before rabadons,but to tell you the truth,if i return to my base with the adequate gold,i will almost ALWAYS prefer to get the items for rabadons first.I just <3 1-shotting,am i a bad person? xD
Now on to the strategy.

1-5

You want mid.Also,you wanna play it the harass way.Spam your E whenever u get the chance but dont get too careless.You still havent what it takes to win many of the common mids.So the best way to ensure a good harass is to E then W back.If u find that your opponent isnt a threat (like Ashe) then do it vice versa for more dmge.Also,let them push!You can harras them more safely with you turret to back you up,and they will get the impression your are helpless against them...muhahaha....

6-11

"Omg! I have my R! Im gonna use it now! Maybe on that minion to watch some blood and numbers!".Thats it,time to faceroll the HARASSED and unsuspecting opponent who stands there at the caster creeps,farming his heart out...When suddenly...BOOM!You use your W,then E,then Ignite,then R for the kill.Seriously,if you start this combo at about 70% of their health,almost any common mid will say goodbye,including: Ashe,Kat,Vlad,Kog,Lux,TF,Hanna montana,cait,ryze,ryzes father and many more.Extra ATTENTION though on chars who can outburst you first like ANNIE...just care about the stun shes building and try to annihilate her first.

11-whatever

You are the shutdown button of any squishy char.Your combo now should look like that: W(or not,depends on your position)--->DFG--->E--->lichbane--->Ignite--->R--->W out(if u didnt use it).Thanks to Lizto for the reminder!Wait for the battle to unfold,choose a nice cosy spot,and ruin the most squishy and yet threatening guy of their team.After uve unleashed ur combo,just harass with E and lichbane procs untill a W opportunity arrives.

Watch Out!
Ive made an assumption the last days,tristana hates champions with access to aoe pool-like spells.But our girl can shake that thing and do somethin about those bullies!You will see what i mean from the threatlist below.
Malzahar:Wanted dead or alive.Hes probably your nemesis early game.If u attempt to shut him,he will probably
have you ultied while he eats popcorn w8ing for the first blood.There are some solutions.Solution number 1:QQS for his ult (thanks again to Lizto!).You can also pick Heal as summoner spell,to use after his combo to live and try to outburst him after.He will probably pack ignite though,so i dont reccomend it.Try to avoid his harassment,and when u fight him,jump out of his pool.Later in the game,just try to catch him on his cooldowns and ull be fine.An earlier banshees also helps.
Brand:Another major threat that jumped outta nowhere.U cant harass him without losing 1/2 of ur life.Outprediction is the key here.Predict that Pillar of major **** he casts at the ground and jump outta it.If u can avoid that kamehameha-fire also,the win is yours.Just walk around all times.
Anivia:Pretty much like brand,but more easy to deal with.Avoid her iceball,and jump outta her ult.Or else,prepare for a world of pain.Be aware of her egg too early game.Might be wise to not attempt to kill it after uve win her,since u aint got the dps needed after uve cast ur combo.Try to put it on cooldown though.
Annie:No pool-spells here.But if this sister here has a stun on,she will outburst you.Try to engage her after shes wasted her Q.
Ryze:Had the wrong idea about this guy,credits to Lizto for correcting again.I swear dude,if i'll have to thank you 1 more time,imma put your name to the guide title lol!Anyways,i still believe he cant outburst you first,but it would be wise to not go toe to toe to him early on.Just w8 for him to waste his ult on something i guess,works similar to annie on anything else.
Veigar:You unload ur combo first?You win.You get caught in his stun?He wins.Just as simple.Veigars LOVE AP trists,but u got no reason to not love veigar too.Be unpredictable,dont let him stun you,and for christ sake,buy a god **** BV on this guy,if he misses 1 spell he cant 1shot ya xD...excpet u fed him...u filthy ignorrant player...
Ahri: DANCE!Its juke time here!When u land with ur W for ur combo,MOVE RIGHT OR LEFT FIRST.If you get hit by that pink heart,gg.Avoid it,and its as easy as a TF who started with a vampire scepter...

So this is all i hope.Id add katarina and kennen to the list,but ur ult works as an anti-ult for theirs.Another cheap method to avoid being outburst but also keep on with ur build,is to buy a couple more dorans rings early on.These will give you the hp u need to survive (and its not like the other stats are wasted) for less money and more offense than say...catalyst.Last,like malzahar,Heal can help deceive any of the above bursters,but u cant guarantee they wont pack ignite,so meh...As you noticed,i didnt mention AD mids at all...you slaughter em...

The art of positioning
Mini guide for positioning!
Positioning is something every player must exercise and aim to improve with every game he makes.This is more important for players whose only purpose in life is to eliminate 1 single target like AP poppy,veigar...and of course AP trist!With bad positioning,they will focus you,you wont get the kill,and GZ!you just gave your team a 4v5 match!Better just call it and disconnect,go read this guide AGAIN and reconnect hoping you can still save the day!I shall skip the part about team placement and proper initiation because not everyone has a ranked team or 4 buddies to play with,so this is a bit random.I will mention a few tips that affect your positioning alone:
1.Never initiate!...no explanations...even soraka is better initiator than you...
2.Dont jump in the heat of battle!Let them blow all their god **** cooldowns!Try to get a player with his pants down,you know what i mean?
3.Exploit the bushes!A jump in the face is predictable,avoidable,stunable,flashable...all the ABLES!!!A jump from a bush straight to their teams back lines?...priceless...
4.Be stealthy!Trist isnt some kind of dinosaur like Ali...dino...star!Its a small blue midget for crying out loud! Imag
ine that malzahar player talking to the phone,while maniacly pressing his combo against an akali...Do you think he will ever notice you coming from behind ready to blow his brains on ur freaking turret?NO! He will nerdrage and blame it on his girl cuz she distracted him by calling him while he was playing!
Moral lesson:Backdoor kills ruin relationships...
5.Never get cocky!OK...you are 30/0/10...you are the star of the team...you called your parents to tell them your score...this is NOTHING if you let your guard down and lose a teamfight,cuz late game,1 team fight sometimes all it takes to turn the tables.All in all,no matter how fed you are,STICK TO THE RULES!

When you master the art of positioning,you will notice that you wont need any defense items at all.You will become more leathal because you will have more damage and you will be able to almost always perform your duty:eliminate the carry.

Update: Better response on W cast and more range on E since the last patch make AP trist even more deadly! So if you havent tried her yet or you wanna whipe the dust, go out there and melt some more faces!

Conclusion

AP tristana is a great way to punish squishy foes who are not aware of the danger they are in cuz they think they got Heal or they can react fast to your combo...well they DONT! I hope you can return in this topic with some good scores with my build but most importanly,say it was hella fun,like i find it.

Also special thanks to Ambi who posted the only other AP tristana guide i know which u can find at the guide directoy.He inspired me to try her at the first place,and now with the changes,i believe he would be most pleased to play her...if he still plays this game that is xD.Peace and comments!

Degnared 04-30-2011 09:24 PM

In before the flames, I hope. You're gunna get burned for this, but I appreciate it any time someone tries to play a champion outside of the "right" way.

Felix67 04-30-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Degnared (Hozzászólás 8417542)
In before the flames, I hope. You're gunna get burned for this, but I appreciate it any time someone tries to play a champion outside of the "right" way.

I know fella ;) ill take my chances,maybe someone out there will get surprised...

Lizto 04-30-2011 09:37 PM

Just a few critics.

1) You dont need to click on items such as DFG to use it, just hit the number corresponding to its item slot 1,2,3,4,5,6.
2) I can only see her dealing similar damage to some nice anti carries with DFG, its not optional, during a teamfight, W->Ignite->E->R will not kill people from full health, and even if you do, itll be the DoT. By then you may as well be dead. You also say you dont get the chance to autoattack. Meanwhile DFG with a ton of AP will be dealing 40%of the target's hp and a lichsbane proc will be dealing good damage too. The combo should be W->DFG in mid air(pretty sure you can)->ignite(to secure)->lichsbane proc->R->W out. You can use E too, but that takes a bit of time and its better to get the kill 1 second earlier when youre a squishy anti carry.

Of course that requires quick fingers but its the best way.

kwjnfkjsdg 05-01-2011 02:15 AM

i play trist primarily as AP myself, mostly because i pretty much just suck at any right click champ.

For AP trist you want to get rabadon's asap. no excuses. early-mid game is tristana's domain. having an early rabadon will let you 1-shot squishies. having a deathfire grasp and a sheen won't. plus, why even have a DFG in the first place? half your damage output is from your rocket jump, and enemies will already be too low for DFG to do any significant damage.

rabadons>lichbane>voidstaff/banshees veil. lets her scale wel into late game as well, since lich bane allows her to have some kind of dps even without her ult.

still, even as an AP trist player i must admit that this build is kind of gimmicky. leblanc overshadows ap trist in literally every. single. way.

Felix67 05-01-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizto (Hozzászólás 8417847)
Just a few critics.

1) You dont need to click on items such as DFG to use it, just hit the number corresponding to its item slot 1,2,3,4,5,6.
2) I can only see her dealing similar damage to some nice anti carries with DFG, its not optional, during a teamfight, W->Ignite->E->R will not kill people from full health, and even if you do, itll be the DoT. By then you may as well be dead. You also say you dont get the chance to autoattack. Meanwhile DFG with a ton of AP will be dealing 40%of the target's hp and a lichsbane proc will be dealing good damage too. The combo should be W->DFG in mid air(pretty sure you can)->ignite(to secure)->lichsbane proc->R->W out. You can use E too, but that takes a bit of time and its better to get the kill 1 second earlier when youre a squishy anti carry.

Of course that requires quick fingers but its the best way.

Thanks for taking the time to read the guide and for the constructfull feedback,let me clarify some things though:

1)Didnt mean the "item click" that way.Of course its with the numbers and im doing it that way,i just point out that some people dont think of moving the finger out of QWER in the heat of battle,and thats something i do many times.
2)The combo in the guide refers to u before having DFG,and it referes to opponents with less than 70% health.Of course they will die from dot,as i mentioned in guide too.Your combo is the optimal for after u get DFG and when healths go up,lichbane proc ofc manages to take a hit.What i meant with the Autoattack is that you dont have the time to attack more than one times to make taking Q worth it.

Thanks for mentioning it though,ill be adding the combo to the guide ass soon as i can :)

Felix67 05-01-2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwjnfkjsdg (Hozzászólás 8423485)
i play trist primarily as AP myself, mostly because i pretty much just suck at any right click champ.

For AP trist you want to get rabadon's asap. no excuses. early-mid game is tristana's domain. having an early rabadon will let you 1-shot squishies. having a deathfire grasp and a sheen won't. plus, why even have a DFG in the first place? half your damage output is from your rocket jump, and enemies will already be too low for DFG to do any significant damage.

rabadons>lichbane>voidstaff/banshees veil. lets her scale wel into late game as well, since lich bane allows her to have some kind of dps even without her ult.

still, even as an AP trist player i must admit that this build is kind of gimmicky. leblanc overshadows ap trist in literally every. single. way.

I understand your worries.First of all,i agree that leblanc AND poppy overshadow tristana a bit,but its not that AP tristana cant get the job done so...why not?
Also,leblanks combo requires her to land 1 or even 2 skillshots.With Tristana,i can get the job done most times with just E+R+ingite,which are target spells,so i can see some real advantage here.Secondly,i really disagree with the rocket jump damage thing you say.Rocket jump is too risky to use for damage when all 5 are alive.Its mostly for that killing blow on running guys AFTER the fight and positioning,but ur role is to shut down their carry quickly.So although it does rly good damage,you will hardly use it as such.
Last,we are talking about a 40% (or something with AP counted) nuke,which gets em in killing range of your shots.Also,the CDR makes your ult come faster therefore,gank more.There were times i had it twice in the fight.I dont think RDG is a must-rush cuz her AP ratios are really high,and DFG adds more damage to the combo.Just think for AP poppys build for a minute.

If you still have doubts,why dont you try it in game,see for yourself and then reply your thoughts? Ive tried pure AP items,but never changed from DFG since i got it.Thank you for your reply :)

Edit:Started to use Rabadons lately as first item,although i still get DFG after.Found it more optimal for early game,so thank u on that.I still strongly recommend DFG for mid-late game.

cptAnastos 05-07-2011 01:34 AM

very nice guide! helps a lot! everyone should try it! thanks m8! keep up the good work! =D
p.s. u have to know the champ to get a result with this built

Bloodaristod 05-07-2011 07:52 AM

hmmmm nc i see a trist AP once and it was just crazy!!! ulty and i was like wtf am i now?dead:(

wraios file euxaristoume!

Ripster 05-07-2011 10:50 AM

I hear there's a guide section now...