League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Questions of Malphite (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=693303)

Aceist 04-26-2011 12:42 AM

Questions of Malphite

Ok, so talking to a few Malphite players, they told me to stack up armor, and of course MR, so that I can deal major damage with my slam. Is this a really good idea? Because i've been thinking of following this build, http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...estroyer-47755

But, I need feedback before I make a build, my official build for that champion.

kwjnfkjsdg 04-26-2011 03:14 AM

dude don't be another one of those crappy malphites who stacks armor just so they can have a stronger ability with a 0.5 ratio.

and really? 3 armor items before you even get a drop of mr? i'd rather you rush a warmog's first item. generally, sunfire and bveil are your best bets for your first two tank items. very cost efficient, and give you all the mitigation and hp (that malph naturally lacks) you need. from there, build according to enemy team comp. plus, your slam is used more for its attack speed debuff and not the damage. dont make a **** build revolving around a single, mediocrely ratio'd spell

and why boots 3? merc treads are the standard. even ninja tabi are better. you don't even need that much speed you already have a speed booster. plus, you are a tank first, ganker/chaser second. in a fight you should be making sure enemies stay off your squishies, not off trying to chase down a stray lux with 500 movement speed.

Warrrrax 04-26-2011 04:53 AM

People are dumb. His 1 spell does 50% of your armor value in damage. That means you can deal a whopping +50 damage with a 100 armor item. This is nice to have but not exactly super strong.

His AP ratio is similarly bad so you definitely do not want to take AP items.

With malphite, my priorities are:

* spell penetration since he deals 100% magical damage.
* Toughness so I can tank.
* Be able to spam my abilities especially during laning and jungling which means fix my MANA issues and get more cooldown reduction.

So my build is:

Meki Pendant +2pots - Helps use shard to harass early on.
upgrade to Chalice. This solves mana issues and toughens him up. Allows shard spam.
boots
Giant's Belt
upgrade to Sunfire Cape - This is really strong for helping malph farm much much faster.
upgrade to SORC shoes - magic pen adds a lot of extra damage.
Negatron Cloak - more antimagic
anti-magic cloak - more antimagic.
Upgrade to Aegis of Legion - great overall toughness boost and helps allies.
Glacial Shroud - boosts Cooldown reduction which is the main appeal. A great +armor item eventually.
Upgrade to Banshees - more health, spellblock.
upgrade to frozen heart - more cooldown reduction, lots of armor, anti-carry aura.

The meki lets me use my Shard quite a bit and Chalice ensures I can spam Shard at will, even to help last hit.
After boots and giants belt I am quite tough. From here I just keep piling on the armor, magic resist and health, with Sorc Shoes and Shroud as my only necessary offensive items.

M4nTiCoR3 04-26-2011 05:02 AM

That is not a horrible build, but it certainly isn't optimal. There are a number of flavors you can build Malphite into effectively...and which one you choose is usually dependent on the in game circumstances.

A few things your guide misses out on that i will highlight.

#1: How to deal with MR

Malphite now has scaling natural MR that buffs up to around 50 at lvl18. If you go with MR/Lvl glyphs you can make that closer to 70. Grab the MR in the defensive tree and any MR item in the game and your at 100 MR which is solid against none mage heavy teams, and requires minimum investment in gold to achieve.

#2 How to really increase your burst damage

Malphites scaling has for AR has recently been nerfed. Its not gudawful, but its not as efficient to just stack huge amounts of AR anymore. He use to get 0.7 scaling with the equivalent of 1.0 scaling while his BS was active. Now its more like 0.5 scaling with the equivalent of 0.7 with the active.

However, he still has very high base damage for all his spells and all his spells, save the steroid, deal magic damage. Because of this investing in Magic Pen can be very rewarding, especially against your prime targets in fights since they tend to neglect MR.

#3:Item selection

There are a lot of items that work well on Malphite, but just grabing anything wont be as good as really thinking about your picks. For example..I really like Sunfire Cape on him against certain team comps. If they are balanced or have a dangerous nuker, i almost always go for a negatron mid game and build it into Abysal Sceptar, NOT Force of Nature. Why? Two reasons. Malphites HP are one of the lowest naturally sclaing stats int he game. He makes up for this with his passive sheild, but they dont count towrds your Hp5 regen bonus on FoN. Second, Malphite has 2 skills that scale decently with AP, he needs MR, and both he and his team really benefit from the MR debuff aura the item possesses. Imagine your Malphite with Mpen Marks (my personal preference btw), Scorc Shoes, and AbS for about 50 Mpen total. Now that 40 AoE Magic damage from your cape is starting to burn a little more, and your burst damage is much more impressive.

#3 Be a bro, grab some Auras

Malphite is a great champ to stack certain aura on. Items with Auras like Sunfire and Abysal are great. Aegis of Legion has a place in any Malphite build imo. Frozen Heart and Randuins together with your GS debuff to AS make auto attackers cry when they cant get one attack off before they die. I have even seen a really neat trick in coordinated teams where he pops Shurelya Revelrie on his team before ulting to make sure they get in quick to take advanatge. Keeping an eye on how the match is going, and what aura might best serve your team can go a long way to being a bro. Good luck, and...

Stay Rock Solid,

-gap81

SPL22 04-26-2011 08:14 AM

My build I go with this

Doran's ring - need the extra health and mana regen
Boots
Giant Belt - need the health boost
Chain vest or negatron cloak - I base this off what I am taking the most damage from at the moment in lane.
Sunfire cape or Force of nature
Finish Boots - 99% of the time it is merc treads because of all the snares/CC

So I finish my core build with Merc Treads, Sunfire Cape, Force of Nature

After those 3 items it is all about what the other team has for their main damage. Items that I consider based off how the game is progressing and what I need. If they are magic, I get Ban Veil. If they are more heavy physical I get Frozen heart. If I am being focused first in fights, I get Warmogs. If they have champs that we need extra cc on, I get Randuin's Omen.

The more I use Randuin's Omen the more I have been putting it in my core build after force of nature. I will go in and ult 3-4 of the other team, pop Randiun's Omen when they land and slow them. My ranged dps is then able to go to town on them for a few extra seconds.

Draghinaazzo 04-26-2011 09:43 AM

I troll unranked games with AD malphite. With brutal strikes and his ult, he carries really hard.

Aceist 04-26-2011 12:13 PM

Ok, i'm about to go in a game atm, and i'm going to try to use Warrrrax item build.

Aceist 04-26-2011 12:51 PM

And I just got 18-3-10 :D

Seelyon 04-26-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwjnfkjsdg (Hozzászólás 8263510)
dude don't be another one of those crappy malphites who stacks armor just so they can have a stronger ability with a 0.5 ratio.

and really? 3 armor items before you even get a drop of mr? i'd rather you rush a warmog's first item. generally, sunfire and bveil are your best bets for your first two tank items. very cost efficient, and give you all the mitigation and hp (that malph naturally lacks) you need. from there, build according to enemy team comp. plus, your slam is used more for its attack speed debuff and not the damage. dont make a **** build revolving around a single, mediocrely ratio'd spell

Seriously this. Two best first items for a tank are Sunfire and Banshee's. Both provide utility (aoe damage for easier farm + spell block), they both provide a resistance and they both provide health to boost your overall effective health. Aegis is a strong choice aswell if nobody else builds one..

Try this Malphite Guide

Shaidyn 04-26-2011 07:29 PM

I've never seen a champion with a wider variety of builds than Malphite. More than any other champion, I think, you have to respond to the other team. Lots of CC? Mercury treads. Lots of physical attackers? Get them Ninja Tabi. There are no 'must have' items on Malphite. It all depends on the other team.

What I did, and what's worked for me so far, was come up with three builds: Magic heavy, Physical Heavy, and Balanced. At the start of the match, I pick which build I'll be using, and go towards it. I then polish the builds after the match (Get this item first, build this way, etc).