League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 12

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Udyr's Guide to Mordekaiser (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=68757)

Udyr 03-02-2010 01:00 PM

Udyr's Guide to Mordekaiser

I see a lot of of posts saying that Mordekaiser is underpowered and he isn't viable because he doesn't have a slow, stun or any form of crowd control. I figured I would share my tips since I personally believe that he is extremely powerful when used properly. Below you will find a general guideline to how to play, build, and win with Mordekaiser.

Spells: Ignite and your choice of anything other than Clarity for obvious reasons.

Masteries: Defensive with a little Offensive to get the improved Ignite. Just make sure you get the top level defensive mastery.

Runes: I usually go defensive, Health Regen/5/lvl and Armor.

Phase 1: Initial Laning

Grab a Doran's Shield to start and a Health pot. Either call solo mid if you want, or head to a lane with a bursty caster or someone with a stun. Ryze is your friend.

Grab E at Level 1, and strategically position yourself to hit as many targets as possible with it, prioritizing Champions over minions.

Alternate Q and E and grab one rank of W so at Level 6 your spells are 2/1/2/1.

General laning strategy is to force the other Champions out of the lane and to zone control so that they don't get gold or exp. Max your shield as often as possible and don't be afraid to fight 2v1 at low levels against the right Champions, but be careful.

You will want to save up enough gold for Merc Treads and after buying, head back to the lane.

If you are solo mid, focus more on pushing the other Champion back, even using your ult when you know you won't get a kill just to force them away. If you are with Ryze, wait for a good opportunity to unload everything on them, drop your Ult and Ignite, and you probably have your first kill.

At this point, there are two choices in what I will refer to the Hammer build or the Anchor build.

The Hammer build would focus mostly on kills, grabbing a Rylais, a Bloodthirster, a Frozen Mallet, etc and moving around the map to gank. Use your Ult to get kills and abuse the Lizard rune as much as possible. This build is most effective against non-bursty, more dps based teams (Teemo, Tristana, Pantheon, etc). Your general survivability and constant slow will keep enemies snared enough for kills, and you won't really have to worry about being bursted down. Usual scores are around 9-3.

The Anchor build focuses on supporting your team, which is arguably the more powerful one. After the Merc Treads, going for Aegis, Starks, GA, Abysmall Scepter, or Sunfire Cape would be good choices, with Aegis and Starks being a must. You want to basically be in the middle of the fight with your W aura up, acting as the "Anchor" of the team and engaging the fight. You will be able to take a lot of damage due to your shield and high levels or Amor and MR, while providing good damage buffs to your teammates. Throw your ult on the carry and have your team focus them down to get the pet. You now have a 6v4 with the pet gaining the aura benefits, which will let you push towers over like paper. Your score will probably be about even, until a pivotal moment where you can wipe an entire lane from the first tower to the inhibitor.

Thats about it. There are a few other builds if people are interested.

Trickyhobo 03-02-2010 01:10 PM

Nice i will try this out :D

Exitwounds 03-02-2010 01:11 PM

People calling Mord underpowered is kind of comical. If you play him right, you pretty much dominate from level 1 until the end of the match. You get a stupid amount of kills even as a tank build.

Rokudan 03-02-2010 01:11 PM

Oh snap, Riot guide! I'll actually have to try him out now.

Sylph 03-02-2010 01:21 PM

Cool! Thanks for sharing this information! :)

GreenWolf 03-02-2010 01:25 PM

Thanks now make a guide on how to play grangas :D!

Konphujun 03-02-2010 01:26 PM

Excellent guide. Although, I dont see the purpose of putting a point into Creeping Death. I generally max E and Q first, with obligatory points in his Ult as they become available. I've found that Siphon + MoS can fill a shield even on few minions. Plus, the range on the AoE part of MoS should not be underestimated. Stolen alot of kills because I whacked a minion only to have one of the 3 'ghost maces' smack a fleeing champ in the back. All in all, Mord is a beast if played well. Just always, ALWAYS get Frozen Mallet. No matter what. Every time.

Udyr 03-02-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konphujun (Hozzászólás 761772)
Although, I dont see the purpose of putting a point into Creeping Death. .

It provides an Armor/MR buff while its active and the visual impact makes enemies believe that it may be more powerful that it actually is. Also, since you can place it on friendlies, you can grab a couple extra last hits by placing it correctly.

Morzas 03-02-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udyr (Hozzászólás 761632)
I see a lot of of posts saying that Mordekaiser is underpowered and he isn't viable because he doesn't have a slow, stun or any form of crowd control.

The Hammer build would focus mostly on kills, grabbing a Rylais, a Bloodthirster, a Frozen Mallet, etc and moving around the map to gank. Use your Ult to get kills and abuse the Lizard rune as much as possible.

Thats about it. There are a few other builds if people are interested.

So, why didn't you just give him one built-in if he's reliant on a snare to kill people?

Hydroniums 03-02-2010 01:48 PM

While I don't feel Mordekaiser is underpowered per se, I don't really feel he can contribute AS MUCH to a teamfight as other champions. I still see him as more powerful than Dr. Mundo, but I think at leas thalf of his effectiveness comes from being scary as piss. I dont' just mean scary looking, I mean he's unharassable, throws out aoes everywhere, has a shield made of metal shards, and has an ult that turns you into his undead slave.

However, his ability to initiate rests entirely on just running out and start hitting people, and it feels like he doesn't have quite enough survivability to withstand a hardfocus early, so it's difficult to play him like a true tank. His damage is also marginal when compared to a Jax or Pantheon.

I do think the main reason people think he's underpowered is because of poor play though. It's somewhat difficult to balance being a tank and a dps, and so when people are confronted with that choice they often are either too aggresive and play like a real tank or underaggressive and play like a real dps, when he needs to be in the front, but not by much.