League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] TANKPLANK - The scourge of teamfights! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=68664)

xahhfink6 03-02-2010 08:25 AM

[Guide] TANKPLANK - The scourge of teamfights!

VERSION 2 - 6/30/2010, All additions are marked with a bold ***edit***
Main changes are in items, skills, and runes. Thanks to bobahz for necro'ing this, I had been meaning to write up the changes i made and his bump made me go out and do it

You are probably thinking the same thing that my teammates do every time they I tell them what i am building... but I want to go ahead and describe a character...

This character has 4 skills, one of them is an aura boost to allies, one of them is a powerful heal, one of them is an AoE support ability, and the last one is a great farming tool, and his passive is powerful and does not need any scaling. Sounds like a good tank, right? Now realize that this tank is gangplank.

I'll start with my item build:

Items
Starting: Cloth Armor + 2hp pots + 2 Mp Pots
(I find that this gives you the best laning at the begining... it lets you stay in the lane until level 6, at the very least almost all of the time)

->Heart of Gold
-Health, Armor, and gold/5... everything our gangplank could want at the beginning.

Spirit Visage
-This gives you some hp regen, but more importantly it gives you cooldown, MR, and will make your remove scurvy even more powerful. The cooldown reduction is crucial to get your ult as often as possible, but also so that your remove scurvy can be used as a heal rather than just saving it to cleanse.

Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi
-Whichever is going to be more useful, if they have at least 2 spellcasters/nukers it is better to get the mercury treads as you will be getting more armor than MR from other items.

Leviathan
-A rarely used item that I have had shine on gangplank, because while most tanks are only able to get kills/assists by running headlong into teamfights (and often dying in the process) GP can build this throughout the game by getting kills/assists every 90 seconds or so by dropping an ult to help a teammate. By late game when you DO run headlong into teamfights, you won't have to worry about dying.

Aegis
-A great item, gives your whole team defensive benefits and attack damage... another way to make your presense known in a teamfight.

Frozen Heart
-Max cooldown reduction, ridiculous armor, great debuff aura, OH MAN this item is good. With this you can remove scurvy (healing like 550) every 10 seconds and Ult every 72 seconds. The thing that makes gangplank so good as a tank is that he can actually get this many items during a game... I usually finish my Frozen heart during an average game (~36 minutes) and by 45+ minutes I can usually get my guardian angel too... and this is all while being the primary buyer of wards and elixers.

**EDIT**
Randuin's Omen
Instead of getting frozen heart, I have found randuin's omen to be a great item on tankplank... the health regen between this and spirit visage is huge. It gives a little less CDR than frozen heart but has an activatable slow, HP, and is a little bit cheaper. Getting the warden's mail after boots gives you huge early game defenses. This also gives a use for your HoG

OTHER OPTIONS:

Guardian Angel
-More MR, Armor, and immunity to death (although to be honest, most of them times when i buy this I never even have to be revived.

Atma's Impaler
-Now that base crit has been removed I find this to be the best last item for tankplank, with 3-4000 hp it is giving him almost as much damage as an infinity edge would while still increasing his defense. Grabbing at least the cloak of agility from this will give you a huge boost in damage off parrrley crits.

Banshee's Veil/Force of Nature
Obvious buy if enemies are nukers, Banshee's is usually better, although with FoN you will have INSANE health regen... FoN can also be bought late game by selling your spirit visage.

Frozen Mallet
I really only get this if there is someone else who bought aegis and the team needs more damage, once you have atma's and this, you can permaslow just with parrrleys for huge damage.

***/EDIT***

Skills/Skill Strategy

Q: Parrrrley - Even without stacking attack damage and crit chance, this ability does good damage, is good for harassing, and is an AMAZING farming ability. Unlike most tanks, the fact that gangplank can farm so well is something that makes him shine.

W: Remove Scurvy - Heal + Cleanse = Wow. Early game, it has too high of a cooldown and too much mana cost to heal you much in the laning phase, but it works as a great cleanse, and by the time you've maxed it the heal is very powerful, healing 20% every 10 seconds or so.

E: Raise Morale: Increased speed + Attack speed are decent to help you Kite around during teamfights and take towers, and the active lets you double it for yourself while giving it to your teammates... this is a big (36%) boost to AS when in a team fight (comparable to sivir) or is great for taking towers... the active is also good to give you or a teammate enough speed to escape.

***Edit***
Raise morale was buffed!!! Hurrah! With the change from attack speed to attack damage, it means even more than before that tankplank can dish out huge damage without damage items, and this buff to teammates is even more effective at destroying towers (or enemy champs) It is now worth leveling raise morale as well as your other two skills depending on what you are doing the most. If you are farming/harassing, get parrley, if you are teamfighting or in a standoff, get remove scurvy, if you are pushing/jungling, get raise morale.
***/Edit***

R: Cannon Barrage!!!! Yay death from above!!! It wins team fights, protects turrets, and takes turrets, without needing to stack any AP or MPen... Its just like the version that DPS gangplank uses... except that tankplank can use it 40% more often. Your enemies will hate you. One great use of the ability is that, even more than regular gangplank, you can use this to take towers that are "defended." Enemy heroes way often feel "safe" while under one of their turrets... What you do is you drop cannons right on top of that turret and run up and start hitting people... Because of your proximity to the tower and the fact that your cannons are constantly hitting enemies, the turret will ONLY attack you, doing negligable damage... meanwhile what just went from a "safe zone" is now a slaughter as your team can nuke them right under the turret with nothing to fear. The other good thing about his ult... during the middle game it is probably the best thing that you bring to team fights... except you don't have to actually BE there to bring it. This means that you can make your presense known at every fight, all while holding/pushing/farming another lane.

Passive: Grog-Soaked Blade - Now here is something really nasty about tankplank, unlike normal GP he is able to take advantage of his OP passive. By 16th level, his passive is adding 150 TRUE DAMAGE to his attack, in the form of 15 dps over 10 seconds, all while reducing healing + regen... Normally gangplank is too squishy to run up and rub his groggy goodness all over his enemies, but with tankplank you run right in and hit every one of them at least once (effectively more than doubling your attack power) and you can follow and healers/regenerators around hitting them repeatedly so they can heal up... this is great against trynd or mundo or Mordkaiser (150 damage that he cant shield + 50% reduced regen destroys this otherwise-tank)

Runes/Masteries/Summoner Spells
This part is still a work in progress, because I do not have a runebook made for tankplank yet, so I'm using pieces of what I have from other characters rune books... currently I have MPen, Dodge yellows + Quints, and AP/Level... what I think would be best would be Crit chance, Mp/5/level, and Flat mana, with either crit chance or Mpregen quints.

***Edit***
^^My previous rune choices were not great, what I now run is Crit chance marks, MR/level glyphs, HP quints, and either dodge or mp/5 seals. (yes, armor pen will probably increase my average damage more than crit chance will in marks, but the ability to have the burst of a crit parrley is worth it) If I use the mp/5 seals I am able to start with a ruby crystal instead of the cloth armor... with the HP quints and health masteries tankplank will hit 914 hp at level because for some reason he has the third highest starting health of any champ. Trust me, it is intimidating to your opponent when you have more than twice their hp.
***/Edit***

Masteries I go 9/21/0, getting the 15% Mpen for cannon barrage as well as the crit chance, and then the nimbleness dodge mastery (because of my runes), the armor/MR, the base HP, ect... I can see 0/21/9 or 0/9/21 working as well... and 9/0/21 is always good, but I like being able to get the 4% DR and other resistances, as well as the fortify mastery.

For spells, I always go Ghost/Fortify.

Ghost lets me escape early game before I am able to tank an entire team, or lets me kite/run from a 5-man late game (if I get focused down enough). It can also be used to chase for a kill, as by mid game he can run right past towers with little worry for his health.

Fortify is the seal on the lock... if that metaphor makes any sense... between improved foritfy + constant pirate ults, gangtank is the best Anti-push ever... he is able to sit in one lane, and defend both of the others even if his team is not worrying about turrets. With these two abilities, you can make the enemies struggle for every single turret they earn (if they even can)

***Edit***
The only other summoner spell I would suggest would be teleport instead of either of these. Replacing ghost will make you more gankable but make it impossible for them EVER to take a tower, replacing fortify means you may have to use your ult to stop pushes rather than using it for teamfights, but you will have great mobility, movement, and laning.
***/Edit***

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

I don't know if I left anything out... but as a final word, all I can say is that he is the most fun character I've ever played, and my win/loss with tankplank is something like 19/6 (Edit: 67/44)... So go ahead and try it!

SyeBlaze 03-02-2010 08:35 AM

sounds like a pretty good guide. Dunno what it would do at my elo, but I've a friend that loves pirate. I might convince him to try this some time.

The Fat Battler 03-02-2010 08:49 AM

Needs more Atma's Impaler.

Really, with all that HP stacking you are doing, Atma's would almost be a no-brainer on Plank. Not only does it give you good armor but it also gives him more attack damage and crit.

wildfire393 03-02-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebattler (Hozzászólás 760296)
Needs more Atma's Impaler.

Really, with all that HP stacking you are doing, Atma's would almost be a no-brainer on Plank. Not only does it give you good armor but it also gives him more attack damage and crit.

He's not stacking all that much HP, pretty much just Leviathan and Aegis. Atma's would seem more necessary if he was going a Warmogg's Build (something like Warmogg's, Leviathan, Atma's, Force of Nature, Aegis, boots). He's mostly tanky from high armor/MR and heal spamming.

I can attest that this build does work though, I've played alongside Xahh in several games with this build.

Also, Xahh, one reason you frequently get to 6 items in a game is that you're buying mostly mid-tier items. Everything you buy until Frozen Heart is <2000 Gold.

The Fat Battler 03-02-2010 09:13 AM

I'm not doubting that it works, but Atma is maybe the most useful item for a Tankish Gangplank build.

And yeah, you're right, "stacking HP" was not the right phrase to use.

xahhfink6 03-02-2010 09:19 AM

I have tried Atma's before, although it is a slightly different build... Its total defenses aren't that great, and it has no MR, but it is usually the item that I will grab if I know that another teammate will be buying Aegis.

My hp usually sits at 2500-3000 Hp, depending on my leviathan stacks, so 50-60 attack damage isn't bad for as cheap of an item it is... Like wild said, stacking Hp + atmas is another viable build (frozen mallet, warmogs, atmas, IE), but this is support/tank not a damage tank build

Brogi 03-02-2010 09:31 AM

Tankplank is a bad idea. Gangplank has nothing going for him as a tank/initiator. His most disruptive ability, barrage, he doesn't even need to be present to use. His buff is good, but can be used before a fight or from a distance.

All of gangplanks abilities make him a great chaser, he's good at ganking, can solo a side lane to support a jungler, and though he's not a great physical carry, he can farm well enough that you can build him as one without taking kills away from your main carry. However, not a single one of his abilities is the sort of thing a tank can have. Remove scurvy is like poppy's passive, it adds an element of survivability to a character so you can focus on offense at the expense of defense. It makes it so you never HAVE to tank.

Frozen heart sometimes makes sense on gangplank, but it's really situational. Mostly he should be pure crit dmg/chance and armor penetration, and as much move speed as you can give him.

xahhfink6 03-02-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brogi (Hozzászólás 760468)
Tankplank is a bad idea. Gangplank has nothing going for him as a tank/initiator. His most disruptive ability, barrage, he doesn't even need to be present to use. His buff is good, but can be used before a fight or from a distance.

All of gangplanks abilities make him a great chaser, he's good at ganking, can solo a side lane to support a jungler, and though he's not a great physical carry, he can farm well enough that you can build him as one without taking kills away from your main carry. However, not a single one of his abilities is the sort of thing a tank can have. Remove scurvy is like poppy's passive, it adds an element of survivability to a character so you can focus on offense at the expense of defense. It makes it so you never HAVE to tank.

Frozen heart sometimes makes sense on gangplank, but it's really situational. Mostly he should be pure crit dmg/chance and armor penetration, and as much move speed as you can give him.

Hrm... actually I wrote a guide full of reasons that his abilities make him a good tank, and the other factors about his character that making tanking on him viable, and for certain effects better than critdamage GP... you should read it

https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...217#post760217

gunsharp 03-02-2010 10:46 AM

If you wanted to tank, why not use a real tank with the skills to back it up? With this build, Gangplank would have a 1 time heal/cleanse, a weak Parrrley, and a weak ultimate, while at the same time not being that great of a tank anyways. Honest question.

Flapjacks 03-02-2010 10:49 AM

You forgot the most important part which is typing "Yar har har I'm a tankplank" in all chat constantly