League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Heimerdinger 2011 (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=658459)

Pyroxite 04-13-2011 09:12 AM

[Guide] Heimerdinger 2011

Heimerdinger Guide

Hey guys. I looked through the guides and didn't see many that were up to date, so I thought I'd throw one out there for Heimer enthusiasts. This guide assumes you can read the ability descriptions and have played Heimer at least a couple times; the main purpose is to give you specific ideas for strategies and some tricks I've picked up. For reference, I've got about a hundred games logged as Heimer, and a 75% win/loss ratio in ranked.

Lots of people discuss the various merits of rockets versus turrets Heimer builds. This guide leans more towards the turret build, but in my opinion Heimer needs to make good use of all his skills if you want to melt people properly. Thanks to Elyk Draw for pointing me towards more efficient item builds.

Also, you can find the build on mobafire if you like.
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...ger-2011-72646

Items

Meki Pendant
Sorceror's Boots
Upgrade Meki Pendant to Tear
Needlessly Large Rod

At this point it becomes situational. If you're doing well and things are under control, you can go straight for Rabadon's Deathcap. If the enemy team is CC-heavy and/or you're not having an easy time of it, you can opt for Banshee's Veil or Zhonya's Hourglass.

In the end, you'll probably want something like

Sorceror's Boots
Zhonya's Hourglass
Banshee's Veil
Rabadon's Deathcap
Archangel's Staff
Abyssal Scepter

Runes

Marks: Magic Pen
Seals: Heath Per Level
Glyphs: AP Per level
Quints: Flat AP

I tested it in a custom game to confirm, Magic Pen does not help your turrets. That's why I have all the AP runes. I do still take the Sorcerors Boots, and later on the Abyssal Scepter (the aura does help your turrets). That should be enough Magic Pen for your rockets and boots.

Summoner Spells

Ghost
Flash

Those spells are highly highly recommended, for reasons I'll explain later in the gameplay section.

Masteries

9/0/21

Pretty standard stuff. The Offense masteries are pretty self-explanatory, you want to get the 15% Magic Pen. In Utility, take Perservance, Haste, Awareness, Meditation, Utility Mastery, Quickness, Blink of An Eye, Intelligence, and Presence of the Master.

I don't take Expanded Mind because even at end game it's only about 100 extra mana and 3 extra AP from Archangel's. I do take Utility Mastery because around mid game, and sooner if you've got no jungler for whatever reason, you'll be snatching up the blue buff every time it's up. Quickness is also pretty handy, without it you've got 370 movement speed and with it you've got 381 (both numbers are with boots).

Abilities

The priority order goes
Upgrade!!! > Turret > Rockets > Grenade

The only exception being that I take the first point in grenades at level two. You'll want that stun, which by the way doesn't increase in duration as much as the blind portion does. That's why you stick with one point for awhile.

Gameplay

Okay, now to the fun stuff!

Levels 1-4:

At this point, you've got less than 500 hp and your turrets are pretty wimpy looking. Nonetheless, you can start setting yourself up for kills. Turrets tend to auto-target the closest enemy when you drop them, so if you can do so safely you generally want to drop it on top of the enemy champion. It'll auto target them and continue to do so until they get out of range. Most champs will back off to reset the turret aggro, just nail them with your wrench while they do so. You probably won't get kills like this, unless you've got yourself a good laning partner, but you can take people down to 50, 60 percent.

Your passive is at its best early on. Conserve your health pots if you can, and remember that trading equal amounts of hp favors you in the early game, thanks to your passive.

Considering moving turrets that are pushing your lane farther up than you want it. From level 3 onward you should be mindful that ganks could be incoming, so mindless lane pushing when you can't actually get much damage on the tower will get you killed for little gain.

Levels 5-9:

This is a pretty good time for Heimer. At 5 you can drop two turrets, this is also when you can start taking down blue buff, although at 5 you'll have to drop a third turret before it goes down and at 6 you'll have to ult to get it done faster.

People will start trying for kills on you. Heimer is at his best when on the defense, because it allows you to drag them through your turrets. Your basic 1v1/1v2/2v2 skill sequence goes, Turret One, Grenade, Turret Two, Ult, then start kiting around your turrets while spamming rockets and nade whenever they're up. Hitting the nade stun is very, very key. Try to wait until they're almost on top of you, if you can safely do so.

Offensively, you can do a similar setup, but you lead with the grenade and only drop turrets if you nail the stun. If the opponent is likely to run, sometimes you must ult after the first turret and before the second, because the global cooldowns are lengthy enough to allow the enemy outside your range too quickly otherwise. If they are more scrappy and will try to go head to head with you, drop both turrets before ulting and then begin kiting.

Levels 10-18:

Your rockets max out at level 13, around levels 10-12 you should notice them doing a lot more damage. Your mana at this point (and blue buff if you can get it) should allow for more poking and spamming of your abilities. The absolute last thing you want to be doing as Heimer is running around without much mana.

Team fighting as Heimer is all about positioning (no ****, you say). You have to take some level of risk when placing your turrets, but of course you can easily be stomped on while you place them. There are a few tricks to help ease this difficulty, but in the end it's just part of the game.

As Heimer you should constantly be moving around the map, taking advantage of your turrets. Go to an empty lane, drop a turret where the creeps are fighting each other, and then go elsewhere. In this manner you can push multiple lanes and continue farming (you get exp and gold if your turrets last hit, even when you're not in the area) with almost no risk. Just be sure to keep one turret on deck ready to be dropped.

Turret Positioning Guidelines

-Turrets fire through walls, if you can get next to a thin wall just place them there for team fights.
-You can also Flash after placing your turrets in the thick of the action. Once it's on cooldown, though, you have to be even more careful about getting too close.
-You can nade first, and then move in to place the turrets if you get the stun on the nade off
-You can toss nades and rockets until you get a sense of whether the fight is staying in place or your team is on the run. Turrets are essentially worthless in a chasing fight, but they're amazing for running battles because the enemy often doesn't want to stop to kill them, but your ult is slowing them and the turrets are softening them up as they chase you while you harass with rockets and grenades the whole time.
-Try to place them slightly off center from the team fight, so they don't get wasted too quickly by aoe.
-Once you place both turrets, you've essentially blown your load. Rockets and the Grenade are good, don't get me wrong, but without those turrets your sustained dps is quite small. With that in mind, place them carefully and don't be afraid to just place one if you think the fight might move. Try to always have 2 turrets ready to be dropped in the mid/late game.

Additional Comments

-Keep an eye on turrets you have down even when you're shopping or in other lanes. Your teammates may (should) try to get fights to happen near turrets you've left behind, if they do help them out with an ult.
-Ghost and Flash are, in my opinion, essential summoner spells because Heimer is slow and squishy, but he has to accept some risk when placing his turrets for team fights. Flash is also nice offensively, for turret placement and better rocket control.
-Enemy towers do not automatically target you if your turrets hit the enemy player, nor do they automatically target your turrets. Although towers seem to like killing your turrets before creeps, you can still set up tower dives in which your turrets do most of the work and you just nade+missile while moving away from the tower, taking only 1-2 hits.

That's basically it, I'll add things as I think of them or in response to helpful comments. Heimer is very fun and has a unique playstyle. As with any champ, a lot of the decision making is situational, but once you get the hang of it he's a very solid champ that is consistently underestimated.

The Next Level (Updated 5/28/11)

Alright, this section is my updated thoughts on Heimer after another month+ of ranked play and experience. If you've tried out the build, and you kinda dig it but something still isn't quite right, maybe this will help.

When playing Heimer in ranked above 1400 or so, I find it necessary in almost every game to start out with 2 faerie charms and build quickly into 2 philo stones. I also start out with 1 point in turrets, then prioritize ult>rockets>turrets>grenade.

-The philo stones combined with the extra points in rockets (you get the third point in rockets at level 5 this way) allows you to harass much much more effectively than turrets do. Rockets do sick damage in early-mid game and you will have the enemy backing constantly. The hp regen from the stones stacks nicely with your passive and allows you to exert much more pressure than you could without them.

-I place the turret in river side bush and use it as a ward. After your first trip back you can then place a ward in the jungle-side bush (depending what side of the lane you're on) and be completely covered between the ward and turret. Used in this manner, you always have a turret queue'd up in case of a fight, but the rest of the time it's serving you as an armed ward.

-It's also useful to use rockets as necessary to guarantee last hits when several creeps are dropping hp simultaneously and similar situations, because Heimer's low white hits and slow animation makes last hitting kind of annoying sometimes.

-When the enemy team has a strong (or overly fed) melee champ, you can choose to prioritize your grenade over turrets, putting turrets in dead last on the list. This is a situational choice, but it'll have your blind duration long for mid game when the team fights start. I rarely do this, but it's an option.

-Keep in mind that your turrets only grow significantly stronger at the 3rd (and maybe 5th) levels of the skill. So a rank one turret does nearly the exact same damage as a rank two turret, and 2 rank four turrets do the same damage as 2 rank three turrets.

Seelyon 04-13-2011 09:18 AM

Actually this Heimerdinger Guide is up-to-date. But yours would definitely be a nice inclusion to the complete guide list.

+1

swampfox357 04-13-2011 09:46 AM

That is pretty much the same way I build Heimer. +1

Elyk Draw 04-13-2011 11:47 AM

Good guide, and I like where Heimer has finally come to (it's been a long road). I do have one suggestion in build order that has been working for me. I start with the same meki+2 pots and then build into tear. Once I have that, though, I seem to be able to farm 2000+ gold before thinking about pilling. I usually pick up the Needlessly Large Rod at that point. Tear is still building, and AA isn't all that impressive at this point. So basically, I've been working with:

Tear
NLR
AA
Rabadon's.

It really helps the late laning/early mid-game phase. Give it a try.

Pyroxite 04-13-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elyk Draw (Hozzászólás 7877221)
Good guide, and I like where Heimer has finally come to (it's been a long road). I do have one suggestion in build order that has been working for me. I start with the same meki+2 pots and then build into tear. Once I have that, though, I seem to be able to farm 2000+ gold before thinking about pilling. I usually pick up the Needlessly Large Rod at that point. Tear is still building, and AA isn't all that impressive at this point. So basically, I've been working with:

Tear
NLR
AA
Rabadon's.

It really helps the late laning/early mid-game phase. Give it a try.

Do you get boots before or after NLR when you do that?

Pyroxite 04-16-2011 05:46 PM

Edited the guide a bit, fixed some spelling errors and things.

TheMethuselah 04-18-2011 09:06 AM

I also start meki/pots with Heim, but rarely finish the AA much before mid/late game. I prefer to b when I have enough for boots/tear, then go straight for rylai's (early health is wonderful). Usually I grab rabadons and/or Will of the Ancients next before I get around to finishing Tear.

One thing to note: the +mana passive on Tear is better for Heimer than the one on AA ("twice in a span of 6 seconds" as opposed to "once every 3 seconds") since you're usually dropping two spells together (either turret/turret, or grenade/rockets, etc).

Pyroxite 04-18-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMethuselah (Hozzászólás 8038588)
I also start meki/pots with Heim, but rarely finish the AA much before mid/late game. I prefer to b when I have enough for boots/tear, then go straight for rylai's (early health is wonderful). Usually I grab rabadons and/or Will of the Ancients next before I get around to finishing Tear.

One thing to note: the +mana passive on Tear is better for Heimer than the one on AA ("twice in a span of 6 seconds" as opposed to "once every 3 seconds") since you're usually dropping two spells together (either turret/turret, or grenade/rockets, etc).

Yeah I've started sticking with just the tear until much later in the game, upgrading to AA doesn't seem to help that much. Does upgrading to AA reset your max mana charges from the tear?

Lately I've been building tear, Needlessly Large Rod, and then from there either Hourglass/Rabadon's or BVeil depending on how the game is going. Games rarely last long enough for me to get all three of those and then think about upgrading the tear to AA.

TheMethuselah 04-18-2011 11:47 AM

Though I don't know with absolute certainty, I am almost positive AA does not reset max mana charges, mainly because it's a Unique Passive (otherwise blitz with manamune and AA would be VERY sadface...)
Also, it would take 500 spell casts to raise 2k mana.....I often finish games well before I reach the 1k mana cap anyway.

I do have trouble deciding whether to go for the hilarious hourglass active or the staying power of rabadons first. Obviously enemy burst becomes more of an issue mid-late game, so grabbing zhonya's 4th or 5th seems wisest (prior to abyssal IMO)

DjJEsus 05-16-2011 05:15 AM

when i play heimer i usually rush a rabandon's. as for summoner spells i take ghost and teleport. the reason i don't take flash because if you are getting jumped on or gank attempt a well placed nade stun can give you plenty of opportunity to either run or drop your turrets and melt them down with your ult while you run in circles lol'in. the reason i take teleport is because once you get the rabadons and level 5 turrets if you catch a lane with a minion creep pushed up to their tower alone the AP from the item gives your turrets enough damage to be able to TP in drop your turrets and run out before the opposing team is able to turn up to you also destroying the turret.