League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Malphite: "Huuuuurrrt!" (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=58744)

Klazzix 02-10-2010 03:58 PM

Malphite: "Huuuuurrrt!"

A guide that has been bringing much paaaiiiiin.

WARNING: This is all about inflicting damage through voluntary manslaughters, homicides and glorious kamikazes.

SUMMONER SPELLS

Flash & Ghost

MASTERIES (9/0/21)

Offensive Tree
Deadliness 1/3
Archmage's Savvy 3/3
Sorcery 4/4
Archaic Knowledge 1/1

Utility Tree
Perseverance 3/3
Haste 1/1
Awareness 4/4
Greed 1/1
Meditation 3/3
Utility Mastery 1/2
Quickness 3/3
Blink of an Eye 1/1
Intelligence 3/3
Presence of the Master 1/1

RUNES (14,145 Influence Points)

Magic Penetration (19~)
Cooldowns (2~%)

Quintessences: Greater Quintessence of Insight (Magic Penetration)
Marks: Greater Mark of Insight (Magic Penetration)
Glyphs: Greater Glyph of Insight (Magic Penetration)
Seals: Greater Seal of Focus (Cooldowns)

ITEMS (10,202 cash total '5,092 cash for Core')

(Slot 1) 1. Red Crystal -> 3. Haunting Guise
(Slot 2) 2. Boots of Speed -> 5. Mercury's Treads
(Slot 3) 4. Giant's Belt -> 6. Sunfire Cape
(Slot 4) 7. Sunfire Cape
(Slot 5) 8. Guardian Angel
(Slot 6) 10. Wards & Elixirs

http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Malph...2912bfe4f62815

STRATEGY

Let's start with the skill order,

Seismic Shard (Q) > Ground Slam (E) > Brutal Strikes (W).

Unstoppable Force (R) when it's up.

Play Style

You have your starter item, Red Crystal, all you gotta do is maintain your cash flow, last hit creeps and recharge your passive shield as it wears out. Start to harass at Lv3+ when you got 2 or more points into Seismic Shard. By Lv6 you'll have your initiating blow, Unstoppable Force, make sure you have enough energy (mana) for a kill. Send out Shards until target has about 500 health left (5 boxes) and unload 'em Unstoppable Force > Ground Slam > Seismic Shard > Bare Fists. Easy.

Hitting w/ Ground Slam

The move's got a very small range, normally attacking then slamming a fleeing enemy will often whiff. One trick here is to keep your opponent slowed with your shard. When facing multiple enemies, pop one of your summoner spells, Flash and Ghost, they help big time. Just keep in mind to always over extend, attack and stick close to them, they're not getting away from the smash.

Surprise: I Kill You

Gather up around 1500 and you'll have your Haunting Guise and Boots of Speed. Your penetration is sick at this point, start roaming, ganking, doing drive-by's. With just the mask, you deal a lot of huuuuurrrt with your Shards. Much more when you ruin them completely with the rotation.

As the game goes on, get more beefy and snag a Giant's Belt and those Mercury's Treads. This time around it's all about who stands last, health benefits you more than any resistance you'd rather have to survive.

Pushing & Farming

First, you really shouldn't be farming on creeps much early game. Farm on champs. Malphite's early game potential is outstanding and simply one of the best when going this route. Anyhow, later in the game you'll have your Sunfires, clean up waves of creeps with it in conjunction with Ground Slam and Brutal Strikes. Turn on those burning fists when hitting towers for some extra damage too.

Group Fights

Your role is to initiate a fight, aim for the carry and kill. But that's not all, make sure you also protect yours. How? Getting a Guardian Angel ensures you last long enough throughout the fight.

Style here is to keep hitting Q & E to their carries. Once 2 or 3 people (bless 5) group up, roll on them with your R. Can't stress enough the importance of staying in melee range, your attacks and spells hurt while your cape procs do AOE damage.

-End.

SmecssRaege 02-10-2010 05:16 PM

I'm intrigued

I love malphite, played him a lot in betas and not much since launch tho

I play him full tank and still do amazing (my malphites K/D ratio is about 5 kills per death in FULL tank items)

If you were doing a build like this....picking up Leviathan/Mejai's after good be interesting, 2k gold for 2 snowball items, and since malph is so hard to kill, you could really hammer out the big effects on them :3

I might try both yours and with snowball items just to see how it works (although i only have 5 magic pen atm via runes c_C)

Thinking:

Sapphire crystal + 2 pots to start
Catalyst
Boots 1
Mejais
Leviathan
Sorc Boots
Negatron Cloak
Frozen Heart (Or just glacial shroud, and invest the 1200g into abyssal and finish frozen after)
Abyssal
Banshee's Veil

should give you a nice supply of HP/AP and decent defensive stats

(+110 armor, +100ish MR, + A LOT of hp from BV/Levi, and if you 20 stack levi/mejais, maxed cooldowns...orgasm possible)

Grovel 02-10-2010 06:35 PM

How do you manage without mana regen? I always go Meki > Chalice + BoS as soon as I bank 900g(?) and never look back. Chalice is so useful on Malphite, especially when it gives you MR.

I find Chalice + Merc boots more than enough MR to allow me to concentrate on Armor for most of the mid/late game and pick up Banshee's as item number 5 or 6.

Ground slam is basically your bread and butter because it's usually the only ability that will come off CD in a team fight- and it's modified by armor/not AP.

EDIT: Tried your build, although I can't live without Chalice. The mana regen gives me so much more harassing power to help get a kill as soon as I hit level 6 and later on I can farm neutrals/lanes and jump into a team fight never having to worry about mana. Any build I try without chalice I end up porting for mana too often.

I also can't pass up Merc boots. Maybe if there were no stuns and heavy melee, but in that case I'd just rock thornmail and ninja tabi regardless.

I feel like this build gives moderate damage increase early/mid at the cost of significant mana regen and MR. Your damage is pretty irrelevant late game, so I'd rather have survival and take one for the team when I blow my ult. Hopefully Malphite being free this week I can see how other players stand up to the anti-carry build.

SmecssRaege 02-10-2010 07:11 PM

Having some difficulty's pulling off my build atm, cuz i'm too reckless as im used to playing pure tank malphite

and as for mr. mana regen... i use 28 mp5 @ 18 runes ;3 no mana regen necessary...also malphite can pick up blue runes as early as like lvl 5-7

2nd game tho.... was just against a mean team

Annie
Pantheon
Blitzcrank / Morgana (who i laned against...freaking weak!)
Karthus

couldn't withstand the massive nuking but i still ended on 12-10-12 (with about 35 kills total on team)

Klazzix 02-10-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grovel (Hozzászólás 652168)
How do you manage without mana regen?

Ground slam is basically your bread and butter because it's usually the only ability that will come off CD in a team fight- and it's modified by armor/not AP.

Mana won't be a problem once you get a Catalyst, and since you're not gonna be upgrading it to a Banshee's anytime soon it'll keep your mana up. That's also one reason why rushing a Glacial Shroud / Frozen heart is there, grants additional 500 mana and gives Ground Slam an instant +70 damage boost.

Quote:

I might try both yours and with snowball items just to see how it works
Snowball items go both ways, either you snowball or get snowballed. Lol... but one problem I see there in your build mayne would be cooldown reduction, Mejai's would give 15% but only when it's full stacks so yeah. CDR is very important for Malphite.

mabinay 02-10-2010 09:41 PM

well, i think it might work for newbies.... but not for experienced players.... that strategy might work once but that always and ur not considering the skills of ur enemies like invi, stun, blink, and so on......

i usually eat him alive
- urs truely.... amumu

Klazzix 02-10-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mabinay (Hozzászólás 653090)
well, i think it might work for newbies.... but not for experienced players.... that strategy might work once but that always and ur not considering the skills of ur enemies like invi, stun, blink, and so on......

i usually eat him alive
- urs truely.... amumu

Won't deny I'm a newbie, less experienced maybe. But I guarantee this strategy can and will work in most games.

And Amumu's too small to eat Malphite. What Amumu can do though is suck on Malphite.

mabinay 02-10-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klazzix (Hozzászólás 653172)
Won't deny I'm a newbie, less experienced maybe. But I guarantee this strategy can and will work in most games.

And Amumu's too small to eat Malphite. What Amumu can do though is suck on Malphite.

i see.... u havent seen a good amumu player......

SmecssRaege 02-11-2010 12:43 AM

maeh, after trying it like 5 times, the only idea out of this build i like is sorc boots...picking these up early makes your seismic shard harassing A LOT MORE BRUTAL!

I like that idea about it, altho i still like mercury treads for the early MR, but yeah :D

Klazzix 02-11-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmecssRaege (Hozzászólás 653650)
maeh, after trying it like 5 times, the only idea out of this build i like is sorc boots...picking these up early makes your seismic shard harassing A LOT MORE BRUTAL!

I like that idea about it, altho i still like mercury treads for the early MR, but yeah :D

With more Magic Pen. runes you'll really feel or should I say see the big difference in damage. :)

What's important here are the core items which are:
-Catalyst
-Sorc. Shoes
-Frozen Heart
-Haunting Guise

I know most people will get Mercs and that'll give an extra 30 MR? Add that to base MR that's 60 if my math is right. With this build you have a total of 59 Magic Pen. so yeah, you'd still be dropping them to 1 MR and that's still a huge chunk of damage increase, like 20-30% more if I remember correctly.