League of Legends Community
12345 ... 6

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   (Guide) Pantheon, Artisan of War (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=55468)

Stormshield 02-04-2010 02:00 AM

(Guide) Pantheon, Artisan of War

This is my first attempt at a guide for this game...

Any new info that I add to this guide will me marked by an (*)

Pantheon, Artisan of War

Far above the clouds on Mount Gargantuan resides a stalwart tribe of people known as the Stanpar, who still revere combat and war as penultimate art forms. They remember the Runewars of Runeterra and know that the League of Legends can only repress the rising tides of violence for so long. Each member of the tribe is bred to be a disciplined and vicious warrior, preferring to battle soldiers of either the Noxian or Demacian armies only when outnumbered at least ten to one. Stanpar warriors are trained not only to be as lethal with their bare hands as the most capable martial artists, but also to fiercely wield the many relic-weapons of the tribe. Such treasures have been handed down from generation to generation, and have harnessed the mystical nature of Runeterra in their very cores. These relic-weapons are among the most dangerous in existence -- and it comes as no surprise that they have found their way to the League of Legends in the hands of Pantheon. This stone-faced warrior is a paragon of his people, his very existence an anthem of exultation to the art of combat. Pantheon found it insulting that the people of Valoran would install an organization to replace war, complete with so-called champions, without including the Stanpar. Gathering the blessings of his tribe and armed with the relics of his ancestors, he has descended on the League to show the world a true warrior. He cares not who he fights, and cares nothing for the pageantry or prestige of a League champion, but lives only for the austere glory of battle. As long as Pantheon breathes, he thirsts for another foe to vanquish.

''I was hoping they had more reinforcements.''
- Pantheon, standing amidst the pieces of a brutalized Noxian battalion.

Abilities:

[Passive] Aegis Protection: After attacking or casting 4 spells, Pantheon will block the next normal attack that deals more than 40 damage to him. (This can even block a single shot from a tower)

[Q] Spear Shot: Pantheon hurls his spear at an opponent. [Deals flat damage + % of attack damage]

A useful spell to begin and end with, can be used while moving, so best used while closing the gap between enemies and yourself. Most often your opponent will get away with a sliver of life early game.. even late game on occasion, thus making them prime target for yet another Spear Shot.

[W] Aegis of Zeonia: Pantheon leaps at an enemy and bashes the enemy with his shield, stunning them. After finishing the attack, Pantheon readies himself to block the next attack.

[Deals flat damage + by your AP 1:1 ratio]

A Phenomenal follow up to your first Spear Shot. This ability does cause a short stun upon landing, so be ready to use Heartseeker Strike as soon as you hit them with this ability.

[E] Heartseeker Strike: Pantheon focuses and unleashes 5 swift strikes to the area infront of him, dealing double damage to champions. Pantheon also becomes more aware of his enemy's vital spots, allowing him to always crit enemies below 15% health. [Each of the 5 strikes hit for flat damage + % of attack damage]

[R] Grand Sky fall: Pantheon composes himself then leaps into the air to a target, striking all enemy units in an area. Enemies closer to the impact point take more damage. (Can use this anywhere on the map)
[Deals heavy damage + AP 1:1 ratio]

This is ability has a HUGE AoE effect however it is very difficult to actually catch an enemy in, let alone nail them in the center without Exhaust... If you can hit them at all it will do decent damage even if you catch them on the edge. If you can't it can be used as a free teleport that can be used go target anywhere on the map. This is also great for taking out large groups of creeps in one fell swoop.

*New Info here: Exhaust can be used on yout target AFTER the target circle appears before you land, making it near impossible for your target to totally avoid the damage. The fact that this can be done makes Exhaust a MUST HAVE as one of your 2 summoner spells.

Pre-game Set up

Masteries
I am currently using a 21/0/9 For DPS

==Tier 1==
3/3 Deadliness
1/1 Cripple <--- Improves Exhaust
3/3 Perseverance (Utility Tree)
1/1 Spatial Accuracy (Utility Tree)
==Tier 2==
3/4 Sorcery
4/4 Alacrity
4/4 Awareness (Utility Tree)
==Tier 3==
3/3 Sunder
1/1 Greed (Utility Tree)
==Tier 4==
3/3 Brute Force
==Tier 5==
3/3 Lethality
==Tier 6==
1/1 Havoc

Mastery Build for a Tank Build, yes I said tank build

I use a 0/24/6 build for tanking b/c Pan can utilize all of the non summoner talents

===Tier 1===
Resistance 3/3
Hardiness 3/3
Perseverance 3/3 (Utility Tree)
===Tier 2===
Evasion 4/4
Awareness 2/4 (Utility Tree)
===Tier 3===
Defensive Mastery 2/2
Nimbleness 1/1
Hardened Skin 3/3
===Tier 4===
Veteran Scars 4/4
===Tier 5===
Ardor 3/3
===Tier 6===
Tenacity 1/1

Summoner Spells
-Recommended

Exhaust AND Flash

*Both Exhaust and Flash can be used to make Grand Skyfall much more accurate, making them the absolute best choices in my opinion. So for any dps build I feel these are both required.
(This will be explained later)

If you are going Tank Pan, then I like Teleport/Flash

-Ok to have

any Combination of Teleport, Flash, Ghost, Ignite, Heal, Cleanse (this one is very situational, almost worthy of DNT category), and Clairvoyance (this can be used to better pin point a fleeing enemy who wanders into you Fog of War)

-Do not take

Smite, Revive, and Clarity

Runes

For those who want to stack like crazy, I suggest Armor Pen, Attack Damage, Attack Speed, Crit Damage, and Cool Down Reduction.

*I now use Armor Pen for all reds + Quints, and throw everything else into Attack Damage.

*Tank Build All Yellows and Quits DODGE, and everything else HP

===Crit builds DO work, but your items provide a lot of crit as it as, as well as your passive allowing you to AUTO crit anything and everything 15% hp or lower, which will usually result in a 1 shot from that point. I find even without a full crit build I am doing more dps, I may not crit ALL of the time but usually every other hit is in fact a crit. and since I am stacking more damage my crits hit MUCH harder.

Abilities

1. Spear Shot or Heartseeker Strike (your option)
2. Aegis of Zeonia
3. Spear Shot or Heartseeker Strike (get whatever you DID NOT take at level 1)
4. Heartseeker Strike
5. Heartseeker Strike
6. Grand Skyfall
7. Heartseeker Strike
8. Spear Shot
9. Heartseeker Strike (Max Out)
10. Spear Shot
11. Grand Skyfall
12. Spear Shot
13. Spear Shot (Max Out)
14. Aegis of Zeonia
15. Aegis of Zeonia
16. Grand Skyfall (Max Out)
17. Aegis of Zeonia
18. Aegis of Zeonia (Max Out)

Reason for this Build:
Heartseeker and Spear Shot are your gank abilities, and Pantheon is amazing at this. Aegis of Zeonia's stun never goes above a 1 second duration and it's damage is modified by AP not Attack power. As for maxing out Grand Sky fall as soon as possible, it may be tough to land but it's worth it when you do. 1000 base damage hurts.

Items

===Revisions here===

AS with all player/character combinations, overall items are your choice for how you want to play.

REMEMBER: You don't need to wait for full amount of gold for each item, buy them in pieces if need be. I usually go back as soon as I can afford another B.F. Sword or Zeal

Purchases (in Order) Standard Build
1. Initial buy: Boots of Speed + 3 Healing Potions
2. B.F. Sword
3. Berserker Greaves
4. The Blood Thirster
5. Infinity Edge
6. Phantom Dancer
7. The Bloodthirster (2nd)
8. The Black Cleaver
9. If the game is going long (and I mean 50+ mins and you have the gold) I suggest selling the Berserker Greaves for a Trinity Force for that extra kick.

Total gold required for my item build is 17860g. IF you decide to add Trinity Force into this mix The total comes out to 21930g... have fun with that ;) I only ever did it once, and it was a bot match.

This Build promotes a little more survivability that my typical dps builds, modest Life Steal and good damage to make you a good Carry/DPS

A Second Item Build

1. Long Sword + 1 Healing Potion OR Sapphire Crystal + 2 Healing Potions
2. (Build) Sword of the Occult as soon as you have the gold to maximize your kill count OR Catalyst the Protector if you went with the Sapphire Crystal.
3. Berserker Greaves
4. The Bloodthirster
5. Infinity Edge
6. Phantom Dancer
7. (Filler of your choice) I usually go with a second Infinity Edge or Trinity Force, or even Banshee's Veil.
8. Again if the game is going long (and I mean 50+ mins and you have the gold) I suggest selling the Berserker Greaves for a Trinity Force or 2nd Infinity Edge for that extra kick.

This build abuses the intense attack power of Pantheon. He will hit hard and fast, being able to take a tower with the help of a single group of creeps, often in one wave. This build causes a LOT of damage quickly, more than the first build, however you do not have as much survivability

A Third Item Build, provided by another Pantheon Player: (I have yet to try this out)

1. Initial Buys: Sapphire Crystal + 2 Healing Potions
2. Berserker Greaves
3. (Build) Catalyst the Protector (This slot was previously sheen, since Pan's abilities are not spammable, this will benefit you more, plus it gives some much needed health)
4. Malady
5. Infinity Edge
6. Black Cleaver
7. Phantom Dancer/Frozen Mallet

This build addresses the mana issue that Pantheon has through out the game, Grand Sky fall will take almost 1/2 of your mana to use without and mana items.

Support Build
(I use this in 5 man pre-mades once in a while, since I am always in the mix of things)

1. Boots of Speed + 3 Health Potions
2. (Build) Berserker Greaves, Boots of Swiftness, Mercury Treads or Boots of Mobility
3. Starks Fervor (usually bought as Emblem or Valour upgraded to Startks)
4. The Bloodthirster
5. Soul Shroud
6. Aegis of the Legion
7. Innervating Locket (This Item works very well with Spear Shot due to low CD of the ability and the internal CD of the item's Proc effect.

This build is meant for teams who work together well, have 4 different aura's all of which buff your team, while still providing you will some decent damage deal capability.

===I use my standard rune page and mastery build for this, but a Utility heavy build might benefit from this at the expense of some damage.

Tank Build

1. Boots of Speed + 3 Health Potions
2. Leviathan (Or start a Warmog's)
3. (Build) Ninja Tabi
4. Frozen Mallet OR Atma's Impaler (one or the other)
*IF you tank the mallet you can actually break 5k hp but you sacrifice a lot of damage
5. Warmog's Armor (2nd if you bought one instead of Leviathan)
6. Phantom Dancer
7. Force of Nature

If you go with the Frozen Mallet, and can keep 20 stacks on Leviathan or go with 2 Warmog's Armor's you will break 5k hp, however you will sacrifice the ability to deal damage. So if you want to be able to deal decent solo damage take Atma's Impaler instead of Frozen Mallet.

No Builds I use, utilize The Brutalizer, b/c I really don't feel it's necessary. The Damage and Armor Pen are nice touches, especially for such a low price, but I don't think Pantheon's cool down's are too terrible, so I tend to avoid this item.

*I've been noticing a lot of Pantheon players buying Elixirs of Fortitude and Agility early on in games, which does indeed help your performance, but I have always melted their face by holding off of them until the end game for that last little push I may or may not need.

Game play:

Lane Mates: The Best lane mates for Pantheon are all. He exceeds with allys who stun, fear, or launch enemies.

Early Game 1-6:

Most of the time you will be able to push, and push hard... push back enemy minions and only let them hit the tower, unless you are 100% positive you can get some shots in without getting taken out. Just play tug of war with them, don't get cocky or greedy. Unless you are planning for a fb gank with one or more team mates, I suggest taking Spear Shot first. It will let your opponents know you can tag them and keep pressure on them. Watch for Low Hit Point Champions, you will have the ability to take them out when you have even half of you mana remaining. Be wary though, if you abilities are on cool down you are an easy target and can be taken out quite fast.

*Tank: Play style for the first 6 levels is pretty much the same, as your abilities still hurt quite a bit.

===BE MINDFUL OF YOUR MANA=== You will use it very quickly, conserve it to stay in the lane and stay useful.

Mid Game 7-12:

Most Games you will be playing the role of carry, helping out with dps where needed. With your mobility you are very good at this. If you're using Sword of the Occult, stay with at least one ally as much as possible to avoid a gank.
Grand Sky fall is useful if you see an ally in a fight to help him kill the enemy, this is also useful to force your enemies to scatter or take some hefty damage. I like to call it the "Tower Dive." Use Grand Sky fall to dive on enemy towers if they try to hide there when low hp to keep leeching xp, or when enemies are pushing your towers, as this increases the chance of actually hitting an enemy with it. Do not forget to save your Flash and or Exhaust spell for this as well. After you initiate the ability wait for for the "landing zone" circle to come up. Once this happens, you can use any abilities, including your summoner spells. Flash does indeed adjust the landing zone if you are quick enough with both spells, you can Exhaust them to slow them down and use Flash to place the center of the landing zone right on their head. This spell also casts faster than your enemy can recall, if you see them running away and hide behind a turret to initiate a recall, use Grand Skyfall as quickly as possible, you will not only catch them off guard, but if it doesn't kill them and you used Exhaust they will not be able to get away. The only exceptions to this have been Yi, Sivir and Rammus. fun stuff huh?
*Every time you go back to buy an item or heal up, check the map for anywhere that needs help or just a free kill. You can spend your 250 mana (Rank 3) and instantly get it back for when you land since you initiate the ability in the respawn point.

*Tank: You will notice a very large difference in your dps from here on out if you normally play dps Pan. However you will be extremely hard to kill. Between you Dodging and your Passive preventing 1 attack every few seconds, you can kill turrets on your own while taking 25% damage at most (esp if you have 20 stacks of leviathan).

===AGAIN BE MINDFUL OF YOUR MANA===

Late Game 13-18:

At this point you are a force to be feared, able to drop out of the sky almost unexpectedly and cause mayhem anywhere on the map. Be it to kill large groups of lane creeps, Open on Baron, or scatter an enemy rush. However you are not invincible, you are actually quite fragile due to your ability to pump out damage. You might be the chief damage dealer on your team, depending on the makeup of your group, let the tank initiate, and go in after he's being targeted. You are a heavy hitter, but it is front end damage, most of the time you will be focus fired, if you are keeping up your pressure on the enemies and especially if you have you Sword of the Occult stacks up.

*Tank: By this time you will be around 3.5-5k health depending on how much you were fed and how long the game has gone. It will take at least 2 heroes to kill you if not 3. If you opponents are dumb, it may take their whole team. Pantheon is a monster as a tank. But again despite my trials he is NOT invincible although he may seem to be at times. You can still die to a swarm of super minions, or even a half decent gank squad. You will have little to no offensive power, as you are a veritable wall unto yourself. Be wary of the stunners/fears/silences these all can bring you to a quick demise.

===Mana can still be an issue even now, but you will be auto-attacking a lot as well===

To Sum this up, Pantheon is an amazing champion. yes he is possibly the hardest hitting melee character as well as one of the most resilient tank character in the game, however he is balanced by his low hp and armor as melee and low damage as a tank. You can't go into a group of 3 or more enemies even at half health and come out alive. Sometimes 2 enemies will kill you from full before you can blink. But 1v1, late game I have never lost as long as I had no feeder on my team.
Speaking of feeders, everyone is a feeder for Pantheon as long as you play him smart, utilize your abilities, including your passive block. If an enemy is low enough for a Spear Shot kill and is running to a tower, pursue them and take that shot if you have your shield block up, it will in fact totally block the damage from the first turret attack that hits you. Just don't get too cocky.
Using Grand Skyfall is more of an art form rather than just a "point and shoot" ability. It rarely hits for full damage (most of the time will be edge damage which is 33% of the base.) But once you get the hang of it and get adept at projecting where a fleeing enemy will end up as well as being quick on the draw with your summoner spells, you will be the most feared member of your team.

I hope this helps my fellow LoL'ers out with their own Pantheon builds

discomatt 02-04-2010 01:27 PM

No mention of catalyst? Amazing starting item.

Builds into veil, which is another amazing item on him. Allows you to blocks spells and auto attacks.

Bohicayou 02-04-2010 02:22 PM

banshees veil is nice, id probably make it around lev 16. I tried the sheen spec not enough damage for me in the low's to mids and resulted in me being very player dependent.

Had good results with the first item build, but went with BF sword after i bought greaves (harvesting the jungle) up until this. then went to bloodthirster.

Do you ever have issues with health on any of these item builds? i know this isn't a one on one sorta guy but id like to be able to take more than 2-3 hits when everyone (if it takes this long) is 18.

Tried the exhaust thing and its awesome!! you can also cast any of his abilities upon falling, like you said, as soon as the circle pops up. Did a skyfall, exhaust, and then heart seeker then followed him up with a spear shot. Exhaust went off immediately, heartseeker went off as soon as he hit the ground and just got him a little...im going to try a skyfall, exhaust, aegis combo then go to heart seeker then spear shot....

Also i went with clarity and exhaust ( only lev 7 ) i was going to use teleport but i normally only recall after my skyfall is up ( once or twice in early games ) and treat that like my teleport back into combat thing. Also a good gold farmer.

Thanks for the builds and the info!

Stormshield 02-04-2010 05:39 PM

Never looked into Banshee's Veil, I will give it a look see and figure things out.

As for health... yes it can be an issue... I usually build him to be a glass cannon. I am working on a few more builds and testing them before I post them.

Thanks for the suggestions!

RageQuit 02-04-2010 07:54 PM

For red runes, I'd definitely get armor pen. Works with Q and E. Other than that a decent build!

Dendael 02-04-2010 08:06 PM

Depending on what I meet the item giving lifesteal might change, but here's the common build I use..

1st: Mana Crystal, 2 hp pots.

2nd: Berserker Greaves, buy another part of sheen if possible, or all of it and just buy the 350 boots.

3rd: Depending on how the game goes; Another part for Tri-Force or Start lifesteal items(Executioner / Starks).

4th: Complete Triforce, start on Last Whisper.

5th: Complete Last Whisper, Go for something to boost the damage as much as possible within a reasonable amount of time.

6th: Depending on how it goes; Either more raw damage or Bloodthirster.

It's very situation-based how I build it but that's the rough scratch of it anyways.

Also tried starting out with Doran's Shield for abit, worked rather nicely as you weren't even half as squishy as the Pantheon on the other side trying to kill you within the first 20 seconds of the game.

Nonamenized 02-04-2010 11:27 PM

Can my full critical damage runepage work with Pantheon?

Perhaps a critical chance item build with, spectral dancer, inifity edge or some avarice's like pirate ?

FagelBagel 02-05-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonamenized (Hozzászólás 621050)
Can my full critical damage runepage work with Pantheon?

Perhaps a critical chance item build with, spectral dancer, inifity edge or some avarice's like pirate ?

I play plank and just bought Pantheon, was wondering if my crit plank build would work with pantheon. Pantheon seems like a melee version of plank, so I built my plank build on him last game. Worked like a charm.

My build was :

Boots (Didnt know how to play pantheon, first game :P)
Build into zerks
Pick Axe
BF Sword
Cloak
Build into INF Edge
Executioners Calling
Avarice Blade
Zeal
Build into Phantom
*If the game went on longer, Giants belt --> Frozen Mallet.*
Gave me around 97% Crit chance.

This build let me gank like a monster, with the speed from zerk you can fly out of the forest hauling ass.

Health was somewhat of an issue, but with a decent tank you should be fine. Mana was only an issue very early game, other than that it was good. I wonder if sheen works with the spear the same way it works with parley. Would be awesome...

Like I said, first game as pantheon and it went very nicely. Build was out of order because I didn't know how to build him, the idea came to me around level 7.

SheriffLobo 02-05-2010 07:25 AM

Frankly...I find that all of panth's health issues can be solved by getting a phage early...usually your 1st or second item. You can rush the heavy hitters after, i.e. IE, PD etc. and finally...in the late game phase when everyone has ~2k health, upgrade the phage to a mallet.

The good thing about phage is that it gives you a method to slow other than the exhaust (which is a must obviously).

My two cents.

dankclimes 02-05-2010 04:21 PM

Yeah so health issues = get frozen mallet. Frozen mallet makes him a chasing beast and allows him to survive enemy ganks. ie annie/ryze stuns/combos you and you survive with 30-40% life then turn around and kill them with your combo and chase with frozen mallet.

Also, all summoner abilities can be used while circle appears on ult so.... flash is essential. Once ring appears flash at your target, you will appear where you flashed and damage will be centered around you, however the ring does not move. FLASH IS ESSENTIAL NOT EXAUST.

Finally, i like ignite with mastery a lot for the extra 10 ap = 10 dmg to stun and ult.