League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Renekton - The DPS Beefcake (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=541704)

InFaMoUs X 02-25-2011 07:27 AM

[Guide] Renekton - The DPS Beefcake

Story:

On a faraway world, Renekton was born a member of a race of bestial guardians created to serve as the rulers and protectors of their people. Alongside his brother Nasus, Renekton oversaw the upkeep of the Great Library, which served as both a vault of ancient knowledge and the repository of the teachings of the Cycle of Life and Death. While the enlightened Nasus taught those scholars who came to study, Renekton served as the Great Library's gatekeeper. He could sense the true natures of those who sought Nasus' teachings, and he sent away those with dark ambitions. Over time, however, his repeated exposure to this evil infected his mind. He grew furious with the malevolence in the hearts of men, and as he descended deeper into madness, he discovered he could quell the fury by cutting the evil from the men who possessed it. Unfortunately, the relief was as short-lived as the subjects, and the ''butcher's rage'', as it came to be known, would resurge even stronger.

Consumed by his anger, Renekton turned on the one being who could defeat him -- his own brother. Nasus pleaded with Renekton to see reason. Realizing that he was beyond redemption, the despondent Nasus valiantly struck down his wayward sibling. Defenseless, Renekton waited eagerly for death's release. It never came. He was spared when summoners from the League of Legends claimed his brother. Caught in the wake of this powerful spell, Renekton tumbled for what seemed like ages between realities. When he finally emerged, he fell deep into the sewers of Zaun. Insane with fury, Renekton languished in his newfound home, driven senseless by his rage. That is until, by happenstance, he caught a familiar scent on the air. Believing that the familiar scent would guide him to the solace which was fading from his memory, he traced his brother to the Institute of War.

''My brother has become hollow. Full of rage, but empty.'' -- Nasus, the Curator of the Sands.

Abilities:

Reign of Anger (Passive):

Renekton generates fury upon attacking enemies. If Renekton is below half-health then fury generation is doubled.

Cull the Meek (Q):

Renekton swings bis blade, dealing moderate physical damage to all targets around him and heals for a small portion of the damage dealt. If he has over 50 fury, his damage and heal are increased.

Deals 60/90/120/150/80 physical damage and gains 7.5% of the damage dealt as health, up to a maximum of 50/75/100/125/150. Each enemy hit grants 5 Fury, up to 25. Enemy champions hit grant up to 300% additional health recovery.

50 Fury Bonus: Damage increased to 90/135/180/225/270 (+). Heal percent increased to 15%, up to 150/225/300/375/450.

No cost or 50 Fury

Ruthless Predator (W):

Renekton slashes his target twice dealing moderate physical damage and stuns them for 0.75 seconds. If Renekton has over 50 Fury, he slashes his target three times dealing high physical damage and stuns them for 1.5 seconds.
Renekton's next attack strikes twice dealing physical damage (10/30/50/70/90 + 150/150/150/150/150% of his Attack Damage) and stuns for 0.75 seconds. Each hit applies on-hit effects.

50 Fury Bonus: Instead, Renekton attacks three times dealing physical damage (15/45/75/105/135 + 225/225/225/225/225% of his Attack Damage) and stuns his target for 1.5 seconds.

No cost or 50 Fury

Slice and Dice (Q):

Renekton dashes, dealing damage to units along the way. Empowered, Renekton deals bonus damage and reduces the armor of units hit.
Slice: Renekton dashes, dealing 45/75/105/135/165 (+) physical damage. Hitting an enemy grants the ability to use Dice for 4 seconds.

Dice: Renekton dashes dealing 45/75/105/135/165 (+) physical damage.

Dice - 50 Fury Bonus: Damage increased to 67.5/112.5/157.5/202.5/247.5 (+). Enemies hit have 15/17.5/20/22.5/25% reduced Armor for 4 seconds.

No cost or 50 Fury

Dominus (R):

Renekton transforms into the Tyrant form gaining bonus Health and dealing damage to enemies around him. While in this form, Renekton gains Fury periodically.
Renekton surrounds himself with dark energies for 15 seconds, gaining 300/450/600 Health. While active, he deals 50/75/100 (+0.1) magic damage to nearby enemies and gains 5 Fury per second.

No cost

Runes:

Marks: Armour Penetration
Seals: Health per level
Glyphs: Cooldown Reduction
Quintessences: Flat Health

Masteries:

21/0/9

Offense:

3/3 Deadliness
1/1 Cripple (If you are taking Exhaust otherwise 1/3 Archmage's Savvy)
4/4 Sorcery
4/4 Alacrity
3/3 Sunder
2/2 Offensive Mastery
3/3 Brute Force
1/1 Havoc

Utility:

3/3 Good Hands
1/1 Haste
4/4 Awareness
1/2 Utility Mastery

Summoner Spells:

For your first summoner spell I highly recommend Ghost as Renekton may have good survivability but his ability to escape a gank is limited. Slice and Dice can get you out of the thick of battle but the distance tavelled by this spell is usually not enough to give you a good chance of escaping. Combining this ability with ghost however will give you a clean getaway in most situations. Flash may have its uses however Renekton is fairly slow early game.

For your second summoner spell i recommend exhaust, this is very useful for keeping those bloodrazor users from demolishing you and also is very good for getting consistent kills early on in the game. I find that enemies rarely get away from Renekton at low health but if you wish to be sure then Ignite is also a very viable option.

The Guide:

Renekton is a very powerful champion in the right hands however, like most champions, if you play him wrong then you are likely to drag the rest of the team down with you. The first time I played this champion I found him very difficult to use and ended up not playing him again for a few weeks. Once I decided to try him again I began pick up the numerous little tricks that make this champion so powerful and after awhile became a force to be reckoned with.

Items:

Ruby Crystal > Kindlegem > Spirit Visage
Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Phage > Frozen Mallet
Zeal > Phantom Dancer
Vampiric Scepter > Bloodthirster

The final item is completely circumstantial. If you find yourself needing more DPS then i would recommend Madred's Bloodrazors. Banshee's Veil is extremely useful if you find yourself copping a lot of CC or burst damage from nukers. Guardian Angel if you need more general survivability or a Thornmail if you need armor.

Start off with your Ruby Crystal and then when you come back to the shop take either the Ionian Boots of Lucidity if you are successfully harassing or Spirit Visage to boost Cull the Meek if you are taking a lot of damage. After acquiring both of those items simply build items in the order seen above. If you feel like you don't have enough survivability at any point purchase the Vampiric Scepter earlier on.

Skill Order:

1: Cull the Meek
2: Slice and Dice
3: Cull the Meek
4: Ruthless Predator
5: Cull the Meek
6: Dominus
7: Cull the Meek
8: Ruthless Predator
9: Cull the Meek
10: Ruthless Predator
11: Dominus
12: Ruthless Predator
13: Ruthless Predator
14: Slice and Dice
15: Slice and Dice
16: Dominus
17: Slice and Dice
18: Slice and Dice

Maxing Cull the Meek first allows for extreme early game damage to champions while being a great farming tool and source of health.

The reason you should take Slice and Dice at level 2 and then max it last is because this is the ability you are going to be using it to farm, gank, chase and escape. This ability should be rarely used for the purposes of doing damage unless you are using it's 50 Fury bonus on a tank.

Ruthless Predator is how Renekton gets his rape on so maxing it second is crucial.

Dominus is great for team fights and tower diving. The bonus health is great and most enemies will underestimate the AoE damage. Standing in the middle of a team fight combining Dominus and spamming Cull the Meek will keep you alive and do some serious damage to the enemy team.

Protips:

Ok before i get into the stages or gameplay here are the little subtleties I was talking about earlier that most players miss or just never get the hang of which are crucial to successfully playing as Renekton.

1. Slice and Dice: Only the Dice part of Slice and Dice will use up 50 Fury therefore using Slice to get in the middle of the creeps and then using your 50 Fury bonus on Cull the Meek to farm or get back a big chunk of health before using Dice to get back to safety is EXTREMELY effective. Most of the time you will be able to get in, rape some minions and get out again before your opposing laners have time to hit you with anything.

Alternatively, use this ability to set up your 50 Fury bonus on Ruthless Predator. Activate Ruthless Predator, Slice through your target, stun him, Cull the Meek, and then either kill him if you can or Dice back to safety.

2. Cull the Meek: Don't forget that Cull the Meek also generates fury. If you Slice into some enemy minions within range of an enemy champion you can use the 50 Fury on Cull the Meek and if you hit enough minions you should be able to land a 50 Fury bonus Ruthless Predator on him. This allows time for Cull the Meek to come off cooldown so you can use it again.

Also, the range on Cull the Meek is more than it might seem. It is very useful for killing those fleeing champions that are at low health and just out of reach of your melee.

3. Dominus: Dominus rapidly generates additional Fury for it's duration so utilize this as much as possible.

4. Timing: When using Slice and Dice to get in drop Cull the Meek and gtfo it is important to remember that there is a short delay between using Slice and being able to use Cull the Meek. Practice getting this timing right so that you can maximize this combination's effectiveness. Think of it like getting the hang of Twisted Fate's Pick a Card ability.

Early Game:Renekton is at his best when in a lane with another stun champion. This allows for awesome harassing and usually a quick firstblood. If this isn't possible however play defensively by using the minion farming combo discussed above until level 6. Once you reach 6 you should probably have your first completed item and depending on how the game is going begin to think about ganking mid or initiating a lane fight.

On a side note, if the enemy team has a jungler who is likely to start their jungle at the blue buff then you and your lane partner should head for the 1:50minute gank on him. Renekton is especially good at this level 1 gank because he can maximize the effectiveness of Cull the Meek by attacking the jungler from a position where the blue golem and its defenders are in range of Cull the Meek. This way he can attack the jungler and maximize his heal on the creeps if he needs to.\

Mid-Late Game:

By now the team fights should have started and your team will be pushing towers. Your job in team fights is to be the first in after the tank. Let the tank do his job but remain in the middle where your Dominus and Cull the Meek have the most effect. Concentrate on stunning the other team's high damage dealer's and killing them quickly to protect your own squishy champions. Also, remember to always run interference. A quick Slice and Ruthless Predator combo will often save the lives of your team mates.

Late game your job remains the same however your item build should now have you hitting like a truck with your auto-attack so use your abilities in conjunction with this. Often times Renekton will be ignored along with the tank in favor of squishier targets. Use this to your advantage by piling on the damage while the enemy is distracted.

I hope you find my guide useful, please leave your comments and criticism so I can improve this guide if need be.

Redenbacher 02-25-2011 07:46 AM

Good guide, I just have two questions:

Why Phantom Dancer? I feel as though the 30% Crit is wasted, since you've built not a single point of attack damage, save for the paltry AD on Frozen Mallet. The move speed and AS are nice, agreed - but wouldn't you see greater returns on Ghostblade? The AD + Armor penetration will boost the damage of all of your abilities (which means more healing from Q), with the only exception being your ultimate. The active will allow you to stick to that carry like glue while you tear them apart. I feel even Atma's Impaler would give you a greater return on damage, plus survivability.

The skill order is different from what I'm used to, but the logic is sound - I'll have to give that a try. Having your only entry/escape on a long cooldown may cause problems, and the ability is fantastic for farming. From what I understand, though I haven't done the math, the damage gain on W pales in comparison. Do you have any more insight on this?

Dr Fuzzy Gloves 04-09-2011 02:15 PM

I've just recently started using Renekton, and already he is one of my favorite champions. There are just a few things i can think of that you could change to improve this:
1. building a spirit visage is effective but it delays you from getting to your damaging items and I've found i do much better in games when i choose to pass on it. Instead try starting with a Doran's Shield or even still with the Ruby Crystal which can be turned into Phage anyway. Ruby is a more economic choice where as Doran's can allow for more early game dominance.
2. I've also discovered that a Black Cleaver will reap way more benefits than a Blood Thirster will.
3. I also prefer a Trinity Force over a Phantom Dancer, a bit more costly but the bonus damage cause by Trinity is well worth the extra gold (although there have been many games I've built a Phantom after completing Trinity)
4. The only other small tip i could think to add is the choice of Quintessences, I've found that the move speed Quintessences are vital to early game success. Taking his movement from 320 to 334 may not seem worth loosing 78 health over but it is. being able to stay with your prey after catching them is the only way to ensure a kill.

Good guide though. Will definately help new Renekton players get on their feet.

Llian 06-06-2011 02:16 AM

Just had a nice game. Tried most of the above, but with ghostblade (a must I find for rene) I didnt need the spirit visage as it was extra. So, dropping that for a situational defensive item is a good move imo

Primanocte 06-06-2011 11:33 AM

Personally, I build him either 9/21/0 or 8/21/1 and pick up the ghost talent. Ren doesn't need to into the attack masteries to do good damage. Ghost/Exhaust are the way to go for summoner spells.

I use Armor Pen red runes and quints, armor yellow runes (nice for early harassment) and CDR blues.

Starting off I find I can harass a lot more aggressively if i buy a cloth armor + 5 health pots. The cloth armor builds into a Wriggle's Lantern which is an amazing early game item for Ren. Its got AD, Armor, Lifesteal, its passive helps farming minions/creeps and its active is a free ward which is great for preventing ganks. Best bang for your buck early on.

Ren's core items are Ionian Boots, Brutalizer and Spirit Visage to max CDR. After that you can build him tanky or for dps. I'd recommend Black Cleaver (or even Infinity Edge) over Bloodthirster. Phantom Dancer is wasted on Ren. Ren doesn't need attack speed, crit is kinda meh, and the movement speed is kinda wasted because he has such great mobility with slice and dice. Either Frozen Mallet, which is a much better item because it gives Ren damage, health and a snare, or Sunfire Cloak which gives health, armor and an aoe that synergizes with his ult extremely well, are both better choices.

I also max abilities in this order: R>Q>E>W starting off Q>E>W>Q. Lowering that CD on Slice and Dice is essential for chasing down runners and escaping team fights gone bad. It also allows you to harass in the lane more frequently.