League of Legends Community
12345 ... 7

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [Guide] Tactics: It’s What Separates the Good and the Bad, by SciencePrime (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=539712)

SciencePrime 02-24-2011 09:38 AM

[Guide] Tactics: It’s What Separates the Good and the Bad, by SciencePrime

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been playing League of Legends for about a year now and have 700+ games under my belt and a fairly average 1300s Elo. I usually play with two friends who are much better than me and that was the standard in which I learned to play. However, I recently started playing with two less experienced players and wow. What a difference.

The funny thing is, the differences weren’t really in raw skill. The laning phase was more or less similar to what I’m used to. Players were generally conservative, knew how to generally last hit, knew how and when to use their champion’s skill set, ward, call MIAs, knew when to go for dragon… the usuals. Sure, every so often some guy would make a really bad call and I’d think, noob. But in general there was very little early game difference. I was honestly surprised and impressed.

However, the extreme noobness of this lower skill bracket did not rear its ugly head until late game. It was during the late game phase were I found otherwise decent players making HUGE tactical mistakes.

I have compiled a list of very basic tactical mistakes made late game by less experienced players that ends up losing them games. Learn from these mistakes and you will be a much better player. The tips start from the very obvious and get more subtle as you go on. Mostly everyone knows tip 1, but tips 2-5 are not as obvious. I know I haven’t covered everything, but what I have is a start.

Tip 1: Always ignore the tanks and always target the squishies first in team fights. Yes, I know the Malphite just ulted and it makes a super scary noise and stuff, but don’t flip out and use your skill rotation on him. He has done what he can do in the team fight and now it’s your job to make sure Ashe/Tristana/Soraka/Annie doesn’t sit comfortably in the back wrecking havoc. Even if you can’t kill them and get them low, you have still performed your role of forcing away the high damage / support enemy from the team fight. Conversely, it is important for your tanks to protect your own carry.

EDIT: Tip 1 is a generalization. Check out MrRJ's comments on page 3 for a good breakdown.

Tip 2: Travel together as a group unless you know the enemy team is in a location that can allow you to safely farm or get jungle buffs on your own. The risk you run of not traveling in a team is getting caught alone by an enemy team of 5. A death such as this automatically makes the situation 4v5 and in late game your death timer will be 45+ seconds.

If you are wandering the jungle and you are a squishy, do not facecheck a brush. I was a Shen and we were smart... moving through the jungle as a group. But Ryze was walking in front of me. Why Ryze!? So he decides to enter a brush…. And he explodes. Now it’s a 4v5 team fight. The right move is to disengage and cut our losses, but we are all so flustered that the enemy is here that we have the team fight anyway. And we lose. Always move as a group. Nothing frustrates me more than having two laggards so that when we meet the enemy 5 we get destroyed. Then one of us says “We are losing team fights.” And I respond “No, we lost a ‘5v3, followed by a 5v2 two seconds later’ team fight because two of our guys were out of position.” Which leads me to….

Tip 3: Know when to force a team fight. It all has to do with map positioning. There are many situations where the right thing to do is force a team fight. If you catch a squishy enemy by himself and kill him, you now have a 5v4 situation. Force the team fight. You catch a glimpse of 3 enemies up top and 2 at bottom farming. Force the 5v3 team fight. Get them to engage you away from the tower when you have the advantage. Make no mistake, unless there is a huge skill differential or the disadvantaged team has godly AoE/has been fed, a 4v5 team fight will always turn out well for the 5. Now, if a disadvantaged team is smart, they will use the tower as leverage when they’re down an ally or are losing team fights. See note below:

How to manage tower fights: Ok so you did well and won a short skirmish. You are now up 5v3. The enemy is not stupid and does not try to engage in a 3v5 team fight. They are at the tower. This is where your ranged DPS shines. Ranged DPS is perfect for hitting towers and acts as a natural bait for stupid opponents. The ranged DPS draws the enemy to move to the periphery of their turret range. If this happens, the ranged DPS must immediately draw back and the rest of the team engages in a 5v3 fight in the tower’s periphery. The key to having the team fight in the tower periphery is that your casters, supports, and ranged DPS can do their stuff out of turret range. Further, you can move away from the tower after the fight ends by only taking one extra tower hit (as opposed to the 3 if you fought at the tower’s base). I’ve seen 5v3s where the 5 get decimated because they straight up dove at the tower’s base. And I’ve also seen a ranged DPS bait the 3 enemies away from the tower enough to make that same fight a win for the 5 because it took place in the tower periphery. Conversely, a ranged DPS also makes for a great tower defender (obviously a taunting tank is great too) in the sense that they can pick off the opposing ranged DPS who is trying to take the tower down.

Tip 4: Know when to avoid a team fight. If you are down a few players or have been losing past team fights, do not engage in a team fight away from your tower. Here are the common key mistakes: 1) engaging in a team fight away from the tower. I see this all the time. The enemy team has killed 2 of our guys and has made it a 5v3 situation. Our mid base tower is down but our mid inhibitor is up. The 5 come strolling up to the inhibitor, and we try to save it. All 3 of us. They force the team fight and ace us, maybe losing 1 guy. They kill the inhib, they take out the 2 nexus towers and win. The right move is to let the opponents take the inhibitor (lest they force a team fight) and only engage them under the protection of towers. Same goes for a 5v5 when the enemy has Baron. You will lose. Force the fight under tower protection and don’t let them bait you out.

If you’ve done all the right things and you are an organized group that plays smart but has still lost the last 2 team fights, do NOT engage in a team fight. If they try to engage in a team fight, force the action to take place under your tower. Otherwise, have your team safely farm until you even the odds. And by “even the odds” I mean buying mitigating items. “We are losing team fights because Karthus is fed and has 20 stacks.” Focus Karthus in the next team fight. Also, everyone buy MR, even if you’re a carry/caster. A banshee’s veil on any caster/carry (that uses mana) is a better item against a fed enemy Karthus than another damage item. Trust me.

Tip 5: Learn when to Baron and learn what Baron really means. This ties in the tips 1-4. Getting Baron, on the surface, means getting a buff that basically acts as a personal Sona/Soraka. But what Baron really means is that you are trying to force a team fight that the enemy is not prepared to have. I’ll give you two examples:

Example 1: One enemy is dead. Your team starts to Baron. This now forces the enemy to either let you have the buff or try to deter you from getting the buff and engage you 4v5. The 4 enemies: “They are doing Baron! The 4 of us will now try to deter them.” The 5: “The 4 are near. Disengage Baron and force a 4v5 team fight, then do Baron after we pwn them.”

Example 2: 1 enemy is mid, 1 enemy is bot, 3 enemies are top (read: they are out of position). You are an organized group in the jungle near Baron. Do it. DO IT. This now forces 3 enemies up top to try to deter you, a separated enemy at mid to try to somehow meet up with his top 3 allies, and 1 enemy at bot that will not be able to reach Baron in time. The decision tree is the same. Start Baron. Zone out the 1 mid enemy away from the top 3. If they try to deter you and get within range, initiate a 1 and 3 v 5 team fight and get Baron after you’ve destroyed them.

Conclusion:

Hope these tips help you improve your game. Like I said, the biggest difference I see between people worse than me and people better than me is tactics. Use what I’ve learned to help improve your game.

Please leave comments to help me improve my guide! Bumps appreciated!

SciencePrime

EDIT: Also keep in mind that AoE heavy teams favor huddled battles in the narrow jungle corridors. If you have a lovely Sona and Ms. Fortune on your team with their crazy AoE ults (AHHH HAHAHHA! and DRRRRING!), try to narrow your enemy into a jungle passage. On the flip side of the coin, avoid jungle team fights if the AoE has been destroying you. A nice, more spread out lane team fight will mitigate AoE.

EDIT: Fatwa brought up some good points regarding team comp, lane assignments, and jungling concepts. I think I would be biting off more than I could chew if I tried to cover early/mid game mechanics in this post. This guide covers broad late game tactics.

Items not covered in this guide that are worthy of late game consideration:

backdooring, backdoor defense, warding, baiting, late game team comps, appropriate late game builds.

SciencePrime 02-24-2011 10:04 AM

Not gonna let this one die yet. Someone plus 1'ed me but didn't bump. Come on, show some love.

Ormula 02-24-2011 10:09 AM

Interesting guide. Well worth the read. +1.

The King Bee 02-24-2011 10:16 AM

Great stuff. At first I thought you were some 600 win scrub but it seems like you really know your stuff. I might have even learned a thing or too. Thumbs up from me fella.

Levnik Moore 02-24-2011 10:27 AM

Bump.

Adding in some tips for dragon would be good too (Although I guess you could just take him as a mini/early Baron)

XvSonic 02-24-2011 10:31 AM

Bump

Fatwa 02-24-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SciencePrime (Hozzászólás 6493732)
Hello Everyone,

I’ve been playing League of Legends for about a year now and have 600+ games under my belt and a fairly average 1300s Elo. I usually play with two friends who are much better than me and that was the standard in which I learned to play. However, I recently started playing with two less experienced players and wow. What a difference.

The funny thing is, the differences weren’t really in raw skill. The laning phase was more or less similar to what I’m used to. Players were generally conservative, knew how to generally last hit, knew how and when to use their champion’s skill set, ward, call MIAs, knew when to go for dragon… the usuals. Sure, every so often some guy would make a really bad call and I’d think, noob. But in general there was very little early game difference. I was honestly surprised and impressed.

However, the extreme noobness of this lower skill bracket did not rear its ugly head until late game. It was during the late game phase were I found otherwise decent players making HUGE tactical mistakes.

I have compiled a list of very basic tactical mistakes made late game by less experienced players that ends up losing them games. Learn from these mistakes and you will be a much better player. The tips start from the very obvious and get more subtle as you go on. Mostly everyone knows tip 1, but tips 2-5 are not as obvious. I know I haven’t covered everything, but what I have is a start.

Tip 1: Always ignore the tanks and always target the squishies first in team fights. Yes, I know the Malphite just ulted and it makes a super scary noise and stuff, but don’t flip out and use your skill rotation on him. He has done what he can do in the team fight and now it’s your job to make sure Ashe/Tristana/Soraka/Annie doesn’t sit comfortably in the back wrecking havoc. Even if you can’t kill them and get them low, you have still performed your role of forcing away the high damage / support enemy from the team fight. Conversely, it is important for your tanks to protect your own carry.

Tip 2: Travel together as a group unless you know the enemy team is in a location that can allow you to safely farm or get jungle buffs on your own. The risk you run of not traveling in a team is getting caught alone by an enemy team of 5. A death such as this automatically makes the situation 4v5 and in late game your death timer will be 45+ min.

If you are wandering the jungle and you are a squishy, do not facecheck a brush. I was a Shen and we were smart... moving through the jungle as a group. But Ryze was walking in front of me. Why Ryze? So he decides to enter a brush…. And he explodes. Now it’s a 4v5 team fight. The right move is to disengage and cut our losses, but we are all flustered that the enemy is here that we have the team fight anyway. And we lose. Always move as a group. Nothing frustrates me more than having two laggards so that when we meet the enemy 5 we get destroyed. Then one of us says “We are losing team fights.” And I respond “No, we lost a ‘5v3, followed by a 5v2 two seconds later’ team fight because two of our guys were out of position.” Which leads me to….

Tip 3: Know when to force a team fight. It all has to do with map positioning. There are many situations where the right thing to do is force a team fight. If you catch a squishy enemy by himself and kill him, you now have a 5v4 situation. Force the team fight. You catch a glimpse of 3 enemies up top and 2 at bottom farming. Force the 5v3 team fight. Get them to engage you away from the tower when you have the advantage. Make no mistake, unless there is a huge skill differential or the disadvantaged team has godly AoE/has been fed, a 4v5 team fight will always turn out well for the 5. Now, if a disadvantaged team is smart, they will use the tower as leverage when they’re down an ally or are losing team fights. See note below:

How to manage tower fights: Ok so you did well and won a short skirmish. You are now up 5v3. The enemy iss not stupid and does not try to engage in a 3v5 team fight. They are at the tower. This is where your ranged DPS shines. Ranged DPS is perfect for hitting towers and acts as a natural bait for stupid opponents. The ranged DPS draws the enemy to move to the periphery of their turret range. If this happens, the ranged DPS must immediately draw back and the rest of the team engages in a 5v3 fight in the tower’s periphery. The key to having the team fight in the tower periphery is that your casters, supports, and ranged DPS can do their stuff out of turret range. Further, you can move away from the tower after the fight ends by only taking one extra tower hit (as opposed to the 3 if you fought at the tower’s base). I’ve seen 5v3s where the 5 get decimated because they straight up dove at the tower’s base. And I’ve also seen a ranged DPS bait the 3 enemies away from the tower enough to make that same fight a win for the 5 because it took place in the tower periphery. Conversely, a ranged DPS also makes for a great tower defender (obviously a taunting tank is great too) in the sense that they can pick off the opposing ranged DPS who is trying to take the tower down.

Tip 4: Know when to avoid a team fight. If you are down a few players or have been losing past team fights, do not engage in a team fight away from your tower. Here are the common key mistakes: 1) engaging in a team fight away from the tower. I see this all the time. The enemy team has killed 2 of our guys and has made it a 5v3 situation. Our mid base tower is down but our mid inhibitor is up. The 5 come strolling up to the inhibitor, and we try to save it. All 3 of us. They force the team fight and ace us, maybe losing 1 guy. They kill the inhib, they take out the 2 nexus towers and win. The right move is to let the opponents take the inhibitor (lest they force a team fight) and only engage them under the protection of towers. Same goes for a 5v5 when the enemy has Baron. You will lose. Force the fight under tower protection and don’t let them bait you out.

If you’ve done all the right things and you are an organized group that plays smart but has still lost the last 2 team fights, do NOT engage in a team fight. If they try to engage in a team fight, force the action to take place under your tower. Otherwise, have your team safely farm until you even the odds. And by “even the odds” I mean buying mitigating items. “We are losing team fights because Karthus is fed and has 20 stacks.” Focus Karthus in the next team fight. Also, everyone buy MR, even if you’re a carry/caster. A banshee’s veil on any caster/carry (that uses mana) is a better item against a fed enemy Karthus than another damage item. Trust me.

Tip 5: Learn when to Baron and learn what Baron really means. This ties in the tips 1-4. Getting Baron, on the surface, means getting a buff that basically acts as a personal Sona/Soraka. But what Baron really means is that you are trying to force a team fight that the enemy is not prepared to have. I’ll give you two examples:

Example 1: One enemy is dead. Your team starts to Baron. This now forces the enemy to either let you have the buff or try to deter you from getting the buff and engage you 4v5. The 4 enemies: “They are doing Baron! The 4 of us will now try to deter them.” The 5: “The 4 are near. Disengage Baron and force a 4v5 team fight, then do Baron after we pwn them.”

Example 2: 1 enemy is mid, 1 enemy is bot, 3 enemies are top (read: they are out of position). You are an organized group in the jungle near Baron. Do it. DO IT. This now forces 3 enemies up top to try to deter you, a separated enemy at mid to try to somehow meet up with his top 3 allies, and 1 enemy at bot that will not be able to reach Baron in time. The decision tree is the same. Start Baron. Zone out the 1 mid enemy away from the top 3. If they try to deter you and get within range, initiate a 1 and 3 v 5 team fight and get Baron after you’ve destroyed them.

Conclusion:

Hope these tips help you improve your game. Like I said, the biggest difference I see between people worse than me and people better than me is tactics. Use what I’ve learned to help improve your game.

Please leave comments to help me improve my guide! Bumps appreciated!

SciencePrime

There is also the early game mistake that carries over into late game, poor champion choices declaring their desire for bottom lane. Bottom lane should be champions that can either effectively defend/ward/kill Dragon if you do not have a Jungler. In the event that your team has a jungle, you should be looking to actively defend or assist them in Dragon so the enemy Jungler or mid/bot lane does not kill them and steal Dragon.

Squishies, given their inability to soak damage, do not make a good bottom unless their partner can soak. Double squishies have no business being bottom. Jungle-capable champions who are not jungling, are a strong bottom. As the job of bottom is to attack/defend/ward Dragon, it should never be a solo lane.

VoidofSouls 02-24-2011 10:34 AM

btw, most of the people this could help arent on forums. so.

TheAngryMunchkin 02-24-2011 10:50 AM

Even as a 1550 player there are little things in here I know in the back of my head, but feel like I learned something from this.

Another large one I commonly see is over aggression with an advantage. If your team is killing them in lane and going 5-2 or something. Do not group and push unless they attempt to first, take dragons, abuse map control, ward their jungle, steal their buffs, take forward towers if vulnerable, zone them out, kill their weak links. Just don't turn it into a 5v5 stalemate trying to take mid tower, every second this endures they are catching up.

If they do push, engage with 5 from their side or back. The turret may take damage, but you will ace them or better and get farther ahead.

SciencePrime 02-24-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loss of Wood (Hozzászólás 6494591)
Great stuff. At first I thought you were some 600 win scrub but it seems like you really know your stuff. I might have even learned a thing or too. Thumbs up from me fella.

Haha. I am a 600 game scrub! But I play with 1400-1600 Elo level players that are way better than me. I took my knowledge for granted until I started playing with new people that were ~level 20 and just saw some staggering late game mistakes.