League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How to Guide on moving up in ELO (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=530937)

Isamaru 02-20-2011 02:46 PM

How to Guide on moving up in ELO

Disclaimer (Read this first please)

This IS a guide to help new and struggling players in League become better as players and move up in ELO.

This IS NOT a strict if you don't play this way or play with X, Y, or Z champ your bad so switch to playing X, Y, or Z champ. All comments in this guide are opinions based on my game knowledge of playing League since it came out and playing other similar games.

Introduction (outline of what i will be covering)

There are a few things you should know before going out into the field of battle. Some of you may not feel you need to read this whole guide. I suggest reading all of it even if you feel you already know it. You might find you will learn something you didn't already know.

1. Champion knowledge
2. Building a solid champion setup for your team / you.
3. Item builds and why they are good / bad for your champion
4. Positioning, zoning and team fighting
5. map awareness / buff distribution
6. Feeding 101
7. Mind games 101
8. Ganking and you

Champion Knowledge

It is important for you to not only read but understand how each champion works in order to exploit each and every champions weakness. Yes I said it EVERY CHAMPION HAS A WEAKNESS.

Example:

I use to get raped by Urgot when he would go mid against me. One day i decided to play him a couple games since he seemed to always kill me. I figured out one way to counter him is to fog of war / run in random patterns from him if he gets his E on you since he needs to put his cursor over your character to auto lock his Q. This may sound small but it has saved my life about 70% of the time against a gank / death. Another counter is to try and bait his E but ill get more into that in my mind games section.

This is just 1 of several reasons why you should learn / play each champion at least once. (if you don't have the time to play each one read a guide on how to play them and figure out what makes them strong and what makes them weak.

Building a solid champion setup for your team / you.

One mistake 99% of all new and even higher skilled players make is setting up a bad team / not having a wide range of champions to pick from that they play well. First you need to understand what a good setup is in order to recognize what a bad setup is.

GOOD SETUP
1 AD carry
1 AP carry
1 Tank
1 Support
1 Jungle

Why is this a good setup? You have both your AP and your AD carry solo for extra XP and also give your tank a good support for bot to make all 3 lanes strong lanes. Your jungle will have free reign to gank any and every lane with strong team members.

BAD SETUP
3 AD carry
2 Support

Why is this a bad setup? No AP carry lets the opponent stack armor to counter your team. No jungle means you have no gankers and will only have 1 solo lane instead of 2. Also not having a tank sets your team up to not be able to initiate or have a meat shield to take some of the focus off your carries. Along with all that having two supports might also mean a lack of pressure / burst And in turn lets them come in and focus fire down your carries.

In order to stop a bad setup from happening you need to take steps to balance out your team when needed to make sure you have the highest chance of winning. It is not all your teams fault for losing if all five of you pick AD carries.

First you need to pick a well rounded champion set to play with so you can fill any and all rolls.

Example:

Tank: Shen, Chogath, Rammus
AP Carry:Vladimir, Kassadin, Annie
AD Carry: Ezreal, Sivir, Pantheon
Support: Janna, Sona, Zilean
Jungle: Shaco, Olaf, Warwick

Find 1-3 champions that fill each of these rolls (Tank, AP / AD Carry, Support, Jungle) and become good at each of them. Understand your champions weaknesses and strengths. Once you do make sure to fill the roll necessary to make your team a strong team. Its not 1v5 its 5v5 for a reason. so play as a team player not as a solo player.

Item builds and why they are good / bad for your champion

Most of the time you will see one person own with an item build and assume that's a great build for X champion. Do your own research and figure out what build works best for you and your play style. some items are what we call core items that almost every good player gets. other items are more optional or situational.

Example:

Vladimir has Two core item almost everyone gets: Haunting Guise and Rylai's Crystal Scepter. Some optional items that are good but are more personal play style / situational are: Deathfire's Grasp, Abyssal Scepter, Mejai's Soulstealer, and Quicksilver sash.

Make sure to always go into a practice game to test out your new item builds against bots. Odds are you will figure out if it flows well or not in that match instead of trying out some test build on real players. No one likes feeders.

Positioning, zoning and team fighting

Before I go into any detail please watch this amazing zoning video. This video I suggest you watch a few times to completely understand all of the mechanics she talks about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxGQ...layer_embedded

Now that you have watch the video a couple key things she talked about make a huge difference in a game.

1. Understanding each champions zone control.
2. Positioning in a team fight.
3. Turret zone
4. Minion zone control
5. Brush control
6. Farm control (stopping the enemy from farming)

Master these Zoning and positioning points will help you get more kills and survive more attempted ganks.

Team fights and you:

First you need to understand what your job is in a team fight first before you enter one.

Example:

Teemo in the video you just watched had great positioning. why? Because he was behind his team at range pumping out damage with no one to stop him until Soraka forced him to back off. Teemo is the teams escape, AD Disabler and pumps out some good steady damage. So in team fights he needs to stand in the back away from the fight but close enough to pick off people that are weaker / stop the AD carry from the other team kill your carries.

In order to figure out what your job is ask yourself what spells your champion has. Do you have a stun or silence? Do you have a snare or slow? Are you range or melee? After you figure that out then ask what you can do to best help your team in a team fight. If you have a stun you probably will be needing to use it on there carry to CC (crowd control) him / her. if you have a slow / silence your job is probably to stop the casters from casting or close the gap on a potential squishy. Learning this is key to becoming a good team fighter.

map awareness / buff distribution

Map awareness is key when playing League and there are several things you should know in order to master this.

1. Watch the mini map. Do not wait for your team to call an mia know where all the enemy champions are at all times in order to avoid ganks. usually i spend 50% of the game watching my mini map. Think of it as if you where driving a car. Every 2 or 3 seconds when driving you look into your mirrors to see who is around you. if you do the same in league it will be harder and harder to setup a gank against you without you knowing.

2. knowing what times in game jungle champions look to gank. Shaco looks to gank mid at 2 min 50 seconds so if your mid against a jungle Shaco make sure to be ready for him to pop out. odds are if your ready you will survive and stop him from snowballing in your lane. Other champions like Ram, Udyr, Warwick, and Nunu take longer to be able to gank so be ready for a gank at around the 4-8 minute mark. Check out your team members health and who they are laning against and ping where you think the gank will go down and tell your team to be ready for a potential gank.

3. Wards, Wards, Wards, Wards. This is something even pro players do not do well. If every player bought 2 wards each time they went back you would never not know where the enemy team is. Some key spots to ward are Dragon river side, bot / top river bush, Baron river side, enemy blue buff / red buff, mid river bushes. When laning instead of going back to buy your first super item at 2k or 1800 go back at 2150 or 1950 for 2 wards. The wards pay for themselves by ensuring you know whats coming before hand instead of getting ganked. Who knows you could even counter gank because of it. Also vision wards are a must when playing against twitch and eve in the laning phase. put the ward where you will usually be farming creeps in order to see the gank coming and get out before its too late. (usually its center of the lane)

4. When should you get blue buff, red buff, dragon, and Baron? Early game if you are the teams AP / AD carry ask your jungle if you can get second red / blue buff. Depending on who your jungle is they may need 2 rounds of buffs before they are ready to give them up. Just remember communication is key. Dragon is something you will need to help your jungle out with on first kill and every kill after because its such a huge objective. Lots of ganks go down at dragon so be ready. Usually you kill dragon when you win a team fight or when you know you wont get ganked doing it. Baron is a late game dragon so make sure you have wards and be ready to defend / steal baron at a moments notice.

Feeding 101 (GREED = FEED)
The first think you need to know is just because you die once early game does not mean your a feeder. If however you continue to go out there and die or play stupid because you feel the game is already over that's when you become a feeder. Because of this there are a few ways even when you die to avoid feeding.

1. Figure out how you died and how you can counter what happened.

2. Let them push to your side of the river so you can get to the turret sooner so you can still farm but not die.

3. Try and avoid as much damage as possible through skill shots.

4. Focus on farming more then harassing / ganking. You know they killed you once so odds are they will be even harder to gank now that you died to them.

5. Don't get upset or say anything in /all chat. just relax and focus on playing better.

6. Remember its just 1 game so try to learn from your mistakes.

Mind games 101

This is where things get interesting and fun. Using mind games could win your lane and get you first blood so make sure you read this section several times.

First and foremost what am I even talking about? How do you play a mind game on someone in your lane? There are several ways you can play mind games on your opponent.

1. Try and bait your enemy into using there skill shots. Run up pretend to go in to get some harassing done on them sidestep their harass and ether hit them with your harass or last hit some creeps.

2. If you are at an advantage against the enemy show them you own the lane by positioning yourself between your creep wave and your enemy. if they try to come in harass them and make them back off. Pushing your minions to their tower stops them from farming and keeping them from getting to the minions earlier stops them from getting some experience.

3. If they harass you make sure you harass them back so they know you can go toe to toe with them and your not afraid to hit them back.

4. /taunt is actually a good way to get them to over extend and over commit.

5. Warding bushes / standing in bushes will make the enemy fear you more and fear a potential gank.

Ganking and you

When should you gank / not gank?

1. First you need to look at what your spell combo / auto attacks damage will be.

2. Next you need to look and see where the enemy team is compared to your target.

3. Also figure out if you will have enough time to take the enemy from current health to 0 with 1 set of burst. Factor in magic resist / armor / true damage.

4. Make sure you know what their summoner spells are and if they are off cooldown or not.

5. Next figure out what spells he / she might have that can stop you from ganking / counter gank you.

6. Can they take you from current health to 0 in 1 spell combo?

If you have answered all these questions with positive responses it sounds like a good time to gank. If one or more of these are negative responses look to see if even with the negative responses you would still have a good shot. (70%+) If you don't have a good shot don't go in. Its better to make them go back then to die and leave them with 12 health. Greed = feed.

Conclusion

I hope this guide helps new and even experienced players learn some helpful tips in order to become better at League. Any questions or concerns feel free to ask me. If you have a request on something I left out in this guide let me know and I will do everything I can to add it in.

Isamaru

olaverty 02-20-2011 03:10 PM

^^

DJKittner 02-20-2011 05:54 PM

Nice guide +1

Dieinpeace1 02-20-2011 06:53 PM

just a comment this guide is really only good for newbie players. knowing this information won't help climb the elo ladder. It's good basic information. but i would change your title as this won't help you climb the elo ladder. I have known this information for months now and i am still stuck in mid elo around 1100.

Now if my teammates would learn these things then it would greatly help me gain elo instead of lose it.

Isamaru 02-20-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kripper (Hozzászólás 6395913)
just a comment this guide is really only good for newbie players. knowing this information won't help climb the elo ladder. It's good basic information. but i would change your title as this won't help you climb the elo ladder. I have known this information for months now and i am still stuck in mid elo around 1100.

Now if my teammates would learn these things then it would greatly help me gain elo instead of lose it.

I understand why you feel this way but by following these steps and leading your team you will climb the ladder.

Some key things to remember are:

Pick champions that you are good at that can carry bad teammates / feeders.

examples:

Shaco: a well played Shaco stops the enemy team from farming and killing your teammates while you yourself become fed from all the kills. He is also an amazing tower pusher.

Rammus: amazing tank / ganker / jungle / tower pusher. even with the nerfs to him he still owns when played well.

Vladimir: one of the best mid to late game gankers AP wise IMO. Getting fed with Vlad can easily carry a team to victory.

Ezreal: Has amazing early game presence and is able to push towers like a beast mid to late game.

Janna: awesome support and great for anti pushing. keeping your team alive stops the enemy team from getting fed and in the end feeds your team instead.

My point is you need to pick some champions you are good with and have the potential to carry a team. Also try duo Q for solo 5v5. Two people working together means two times the chances of winning.

One other thing is you may know everything I have put into this guide but if you where truly using everything here odds are you would be higher in ELO. My suggestion to you would be to look back at each game and figure out why you lost. You may find that there may have been something you could have done better.

Always remember you wont win every game but you wont lose every game ether. Most of the time you end up winning about 60-70% of your games making you climb the ladder. Don't give up and make sure to look at each game win or lose and figure out what you could have done better.

Doriantv 02-20-2011 07:46 PM

"Never prioritize your farm over your life"
-Dyrus

Those words helped my go from 1100 to 1500. Now I'm down around 1400, but the point still stands.

Deikan 02-20-2011 07:47 PM

I don't think this should be a guide for ranked games, more like a guide just for regular gameplay.
Honestly if you don't know all these things by level 30 you shouldn't be playing ranked games.

Doriantv 02-20-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deikan (Hozzászólás 6397542)
I don't think this should be a guide for ranked games, more like a guide just for regular gameplay.
Honestly if you don't know all these things by level 30 you shouldn't be playing ranked games.

The average LoL player is below 1200. 1200 is the theoretical average of active ranked players. Many people don't even play ranked. Many formerly ranked players are inactive now because they fed and gave up.

The end result is that being 1200 puts you in the top 30% of LoL players.

Basically, the average LoL player is a total moron. You'd be surprised.

Isamaru 02-20-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketball (Hozzászólás 6397806)
The average LoL player is below 1200. 1200 is the theoretical average of active ranked players. Many people don't even play ranked. Many formerly ranked players are inactive now because they fed and gave up.

The end result is that being 1200 puts you in the top 30% of LoL players.

Basically, the average LoL player is a total moron. You'd be surprised.

This is true to some extent. I know for a fact with practice if you use this guide as a general guideline even new players who just hit 30 can go up the ELO Ladder. You would be surprised at how many 1300 and 1400 ELO players still don't do some of the things I listed here. To some its obvious League 101 but to most they never learned League 101 so they need to be told what it is.

Carados 02-20-2011 08:31 PM

Just throwing this out there, that isn't either how team composition or champion's roles work.