League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thread voting system (thumbs up or down) (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=52439)

Karrot 01-27-2010 12:21 PM

Thread voting system (thumbs up or down)

I was still on vacation when this was implemented - can someone tell me what the system is supposed to be used for?

I've noticed people using downvoting to close threads that break the rules (name-dropping) or are repeats of the same exact thread (twitch is OP, thread number 4008). I've heard of people using downvoting to close threads that they just don't like. More recently, I've noticed a handful of people using the voting system to thumbs up every post that shares their opinion, and thumbs down every post that disagrees. And I have no idea if this is an incorrect usage of the system or not. If there are rules governing the voting process, then I may very well have broken them a few times.

Anyone care to give me a brief overview?

Sedon 01-27-2010 12:26 PM

afaik, the system is meant to be intertwined with a rep system in game in the far out future. You basically hit all the reasons people use it. I would suggest that the community not downvote a thread just because you disagree unless the person is just completely off course or going about it the wrong way. I'm not sure if this is the way others see it or not. Not really an overview, but my thoughts anyways.

gutter 01-27-2010 12:41 PM

At the moment, enough down votes close a thread or hide a post in a thread, and allegedly enough up posts put a little star symbol next to the thread title on the thread list. It takes a whole lot of thumbs up votes for that to happen, though.

Obviously people can (and do) abuse it, but I don't think it's a huge deal at the moment. The nature of a community-oriented moderation system is that general opinion will prevail over the idiots out there.

As Sedon said, there have been hints that in the future it will tie in to the actual game somehow with small bonuses. No actual word on when, if, or how that's coming, though.

Vancouver Amumu 01-27-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutter (Hozzászólás 582369)
The nature of a community-oriented moderation system is that general opinion will prevail over the idiots out there.

That's assuming the community doesn't contain a majority of idiots, which is debatable.

I think downvoting should be reserved for posts that break a forum rule; not to express an opinion. But you can't control what people vote for.

gutter 01-27-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sywin (Hozzászólás 582408)
That's assuming the community doesn't contain a majority of idiots, which is debatable.

I think downvoting should be reserved for posts that break a forum rule; not to express an opinion. But you can't control what people vote for.

In theory, if the majority of the community is (in your opinion) idiots, and you participate in that community and hold an opinion contrary to the "idiot" opinion, then technically they're the norm and you are the deviant, making you, in the context of the community, the idiot.

Vancouver Amumu 01-27-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutter (Hozzászólás 582421)
In theory, if the majority of the community is (in your opinion) idiots, and you participate in that community and hold an opinion contrary to the "idiot" opinion, then technically they're the norm and you are the deviant, making you, in the context of the community, the idiot.

Then we're all idiots! :)

And of course, we're all someone else's idiot. Which brings us back to the OP : the rating system is somewhat flawed.

gutter 01-27-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sywin (Hozzászólás 582427)
Then we're all idiots! :)

And of course, we're all someone else's idiot. Which brings us back to the OP : the rating system is somewhat flawed.

The rating system is only flawed if the goal of it is to pinpoint universal truths or something ridiculous like that. If the purpose of the rating system is for the aggregate will of the community to be represented, then it's pretty good.

That said, given that somehow my first post in this thread got rated down to great ironic effect, I'm starting to suspect that you might have a point...

Vancouver Amumu 01-27-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutter (Hozzászólás 582435)
The rating system is only flawed if the goal of it is to pinpoint universal truths or something ridiculous like that. If the purpose of the rating system is for the aggregate will of the community to be represented, then it's pretty good.

I agree. But I thought the forums were meant to encourage discussion. The rating system kind of discourages it, unfortunately. (Again, depending on how it's used.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutter (Hozzászólás 582435)
That said, given that somehow my first post in this thread got rated down to great ironic effect, I'm starting to suspect that you might have a point...

Haha, and it wasn't even me. :)

Uh... I've been rated down too. :(

Beklynn 01-27-2010 01:34 PM

I'm hoping that the balancing act of decent people will take care of spiteful downgraders.

SlyGoat 01-27-2010 01:35 PM

+1 to OP for being so cute