League of Legends Community
12345 ... 8

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sniperness' Caitlyn - L2Wanted (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=486438)

AIM7Sparrow 02-01-2011 02:49 AM

[Guide] Sniperness' Caitlyn - L2Wanted

1 Attachment(s)
Introduction: First things first, L2Wanted? Yeah someone told me that once when I commented on them blocking my ult that was going to kill an enemy with their big cow ass. He replied L2Wanted and it stuck with me ever since. I will be teaching you how to be the star character of: Wanted 2 - Hookers with Snipers.

Caitlyn, as countless people will tell you because they've heard everyone else say it, "doesn't scale well."Well, that's wrong. She scales just fine. True, most DPS carries generally have some sort of damage boosting skill, i.e. Rapid Fire, Highlander, Bloodlust, while Caitlyn does not, as her two abilities that scale off of damage prevent you from auto attacking. However, she has other great advantages over other carries that make up for this. Think about it this way. Why do people play Ashe? She doesn't have any damage boosting skills either. Does she "not scale well" too and thus deserve to be thrown in with the "bad carries?" The answer is, well, people play Ashe because she's useful even without "scaling well" and having those damage increasing skills. Caitlyn is no different as we will find out.

Anyways, this guide won't be covering anything basic, i.e. skill mechanics, base stats, or skill descriptions. Read up on that yourself if you need to.

Table of Contents:
  • Mission Statement
  • Pre-Game
  • Skill Order
  • Item Build
  • Gameplay
  • Advanced Techniques
  • Countering Other Solomids
  • Conclusion

1. Mission Statement
I. General: Our mission is to be the team's ranged AD carry, providing high, consistent damage with our auto-attack, while finishing off any stragglers that are escaping with our ultimate.

II. Laning: Our laning mission is to absolutely dominate the mid lane in one of two ways. The first and foremost way is attaining a heavy creep score advantage over the opposing solo. The second is trying to secure a kill against the enemy solo. We will not be focusing on ganking allied lanes as heavily as other solo-mid characters might.

III. Team Play: Our mission in team fights is to always pick a safe position from which to fire at our enemies. We will not be overly-concerned with singling out certain targets. Our absolute first priority is to provide continuous damage from a secure location. After safety has been established, we will attempt to focus on specific enemies as well as finish off any stragglers with our ultimate. In team fights and the moments leading up to them we will always be planning escape routes ahead of time via the strategic placement of traps.

2. Pre-Game
Feel free to include "loud music" and "a fifth of tequila" anywhere in the following.

Runes:
Red: Flat damage
Yellow: MP regen per level
Blue: MP regen per level/magic resist/magic resist per level
Quints: Armor pen

Early game is absolutely critical for Caitlyn. In my opinion she's one of the best solo mids and this rune set-up will help you crush the enemy mid even harder. Reds give the most flat damage available. This is very important for your Q and R as they both receive over 1:1 ratio on attack damage. For yellow and blue I run mp regen/5/lv to be able to keep spamming Q's as well as lay traps every now and then to guard against ganks. MR could also work for blues though if you feel like you can control your mana enough. For quints I run armor pen to be able to, well, penetrate armor. Flat damage could also work but you will be hurting yourself very soon once enemies level up and naturally gain armor. Besides it's easier to buy damage than armor pen.

Masteries
: 15/0/15 or 9/0/21

Either works to be honest. A lot of you may be wondering why I don't go full offensive tree. I just don't think the 5% damage and 10% crit chance outweigh the benefits some skills in the utility tree can offer. I personally run 15/0/15 but against an especially dangerous team in which nearly everyone can jump at you from across the map you may want to take 9/0/21 to have that flash/ghost available as often as possible.

For 15/0/15 make sure to get the armor penetration, flat damage, and I think one point to spare, which I just put into the +2 minion damage to make last hitting a tad easier early game. In the utility tree you will build up to flash CD reduction and 1 movement speed.

Summoner Spells: Flash/Ghost or Cleanse/Flash or Cleanse/Ghost

No offensive spells needed, (exhaust, ignite.) We do enough damage without them and besides our natural range outreaches either of the two so it contradicts the character's basic advantage to take either of them. Personally I've never taken cleanse/flash and only on rare occasions will I take cleanse/ghost. Flash/ghost is always a safe bet.

3. Skill Order
  • Piltover Peacemaker (Q)
  • 90 Caliber Net (E)
  • Piltover Peacemaker
  • Yordle Snap Trap (W)
  • Piltover Peacemaker
  • Ace in the Hole (R)
  • Piltover Peacemaker
  • 90 Caliber Net
  • Piltover Peacemaker
  • 90 Caliber Net
  • Ace in the Hole
  • 90 Caliber Net
  • 90 Caliber Net
  • Yordle Snap Trap
  • Yordle Snap Trap
  • Ace in the Hole
  • Yordle Snap Trap
  • Yordle Snap Trap
Commentary:
Maxing out Q is pretty obvious for simple damage output and harassing abilities. Next up, maxing E is the best option as it increases the slow duration, allowing us to escape from ganks or troublesome teamfight situations easier. One point of W is taken at level 4 to help us guard against gank attempts and it is maxed last because it provides no advantage from leveling up other than increased damage.

4. Item Build
  • Boots + 3 HP Potions
  • Berserker Grieves
  • Brutalizer
  • Infinity Edge (BF Sword -> Pickaxe -> Cape)
  • Phantom Dancer
  • Situational
    • Last Whisper
    • Banshee's Veil
    • Guardian Angel
    • Bloodthirster
    • Black Cleaver

Commentary:
According to our mission statement, our main objective is to provide consistent damage, so to those of you wondering why I don't stack bloodthirsters, you have your answer. Yes, Q and R scale with attack damage but in all honesty, they both take time to cast and will see limited use in team fights. This is where msot people fail to play the champion correctly. They feel the need to always use all of her skills and to try and make the champion perfectly syncronized with itself. Well, I hate to burst your bubble but her skills don't sync with being an AD carry that well at all. Think of them as perks that help you have an amazing early game and added utility via long-range R a.k.a psuedo-Karthus. If you want to really be a carry and provide for your team you need build like a real carry and focus on increasing your auto-attack dps, not your Q dps. That being said, IE to Phantom dancer is hands down the best way to do that, especially with a green elixer to boot.

I've determined that starting off with Boots + 3 HP Potions is the best start. This start allows you to make use of your excellent auto-attack range to
harass people and then safely get out of range to avoid any return harass in most cases. It also prevent junglers from ganking you without any special abilities (i.e. Shaco) and even keeps you on par with bear stance Udyr or bloodscented Warwicks who usually can't or don't start with boots. In addition, the potions are very useful for healing off minion aggro and for the potential harass you will receive every now and then.

The upgraded boots are always up in the air depending on team comps. Obviously for a heavy CC enemy team you'll take mercury treads. Thanks to Caitlyn's long range though, I feel comfortable taking Berserker grieves most games. I've also determined that an early Brutalizer is very good for pressing your advantage early-mid game. Brutalizers cooldown reduction can come in very useful when you need your jump again ASAP in a teamfight and its armor pen and damage make you hit harder all around. I generally build the berserker grieves right away as it helps me farm and push the lane incredibly fast. Helps with harassing as well and the +2 movespeed is always an added advantage over so many people who stay at boots 1 until mid-game.

Situational items are fairly easy to explain. Last whisper if survivability is not an issue for you but enemy armor levels are. Veil against heavy CC. GA against heavy physical teams is nice as well as for basic survivability. GA goes great with a Shen or Zilean on your team as it makes enemies extra reluctant to waste their damage on you. Bloodthirster works well if you feel like you have enough armor pen, (maybe you got that Brutalizer), and just have to get the next best DPS item, works great with beefing up your Q and R shots too. Lastly, black cleaver is a good item for not only it's armor reduction, but if you took mercury treads instead of berserkers then its attack speed also really helps.

5. Gameplay

Laning:
To those of who you've read my Annie guide you may remember that I said be aggressive and that Annie is one of the best level 1 champs in the game. OK now multiple that by ten. Caitlyn is just ridiculous as a level 1 champ. She has one of the best harassing moves in the game and her auto attack range is just amazing. Her passive also gives you bonus free damage every seven attacks. Without a doubt, BE AGGRESSIVE. Harass with auto's, harass with Q, and all the while remember to farm every creep you can. Thanks to your range you won't receive as much minion aggro as other champions would so take advantage of it. I've found that the best way to land Q on enemies is to monitor your own minions closely. When one of them gets low and it seems as if your enemy might come up to last hit it, lead them with a Q. It works like a charm. A lot of the time people won't be able to figure out why you're so accurate and will just assume you have really good intuition and/or their reaction time sucks. When you reach level 4, you're going to want to set traps in the brush on the side of the lane you are favoring. I try to stay on my tower-side of the lane as to reach my tower more quickly in case of a gank so that's also the brush that I will set both traps into in case a ganker approaches. If they approach from the other side you have a much bigger warning time to get away.

If you're feeling like you can secure a kill at level 6 there are two ways to try it. The first is a simple Headshot (passive) auto-attack to ult combo if your enemy isn't careful enough. The second, and a bit trickier, is a quick succession of Q to R. If you manage to not have Q's damage mitigated by too many enemy minions, it will do a surprising amount and the following R might be enough to finish enemies off. Keep in mind a few enemies are just impossible to use this on most of the time. Sivir and Vlad are the two that come to mind as they will simply just save their spell shield/pool for the ult. It's frustrating, arg!

Team Play:
Team play is relatively simple. As I've established in the mission statement, your first priority is to stay alive and to keep dealing damage. That will sometimes mean focusing the tank, that's fine. If the tank is on your ass, chances are your tank is on the enemy carry's ass. Better to stay alive and damage the tank than to try to reach that Tristana in the back, get off a shot and then die. You could also focus support characters like Janna or Sona who tend to place themselves in the middle of things so as to be able to support any of their members in need. The point is, stay alive; positioning is absolutely crucial. Wait for an opportunity to come to you, don't go chasing after one. People move around a lot in battles, sooner or later, someone squishy will wander into your enormous 650 range and you can chew them up. Until then though just remember to always be attacking something. Also, if multiple enemies are clustered together and/or lined-up it may be wise to Q them. AoE > single target. Be on the look-out for those opportunities. Also as a rule of thumb, once you have your Phantom Dancer, you will not want to Q single enemies anymore as striaght-up auto-attack dps wins is advantageous. Lastly, be sure to snipe down anyone running away with your R if you think you can kill them. It's also a great way to contribute to a team fight happening far away from you. Get in that early R to cut someone down 30-40% and make it easier for your team to win the fight.

6. Advanced Techniques

It's 3:30AM and I'm tired. I will update this section later probably. For now, here's some things I'd like to mention.

1. The EQualizer: Lawl, I just came up with that. Basically, let's say someone's ganking you or maybe that Ashe just ulted you and now has an HP advantage and would win a striaght out 1v1 dps fight. Quickly E and then Q right after. I don't know if it's just my computer's terrible graphics/performance but I don't even see the Q animation most of the time. Do it fast. The E will slow them and make it nearly impossible for them to dodge the following Q, in addition to creating a lot of space between you and your opponenet in which you can establish range control again. Works great against a Pantheon stun too, Nasus slow, etc. etc. And fyi E+Q will always do more damage than an Ashe arrow at any stage of the game, (assuming the Q isn't mitigated by other enemies), so the name really is quite appropriate.

2. Trap Leading: Used your E already but still being chased? Lay a trap ahead of you along your intended path of escape. The enemy will be forced to stray off course if they want to keep chasing you. Traps take more than a second to arm though so judge the lead accordingly. Placing them ahead of you around corners or in brush is also awesome because then enemies won't even know they are there.

Another creative way of trap leading can be applied offensively. Got Anivia in her egg? Zilean reviving in his ult? Did someone just use Zhonya's? Plant a trap on that ass and teach them to think twice before stalling in front of you.

3. Trap Scouting: Simple enough, traps briefly reveal vision of a small surrounding area when placed. Use them to scout brush and even around corner.

More to come later maybe.

7. Conclusion
I'd just like to emphasize that the reason I think so many people think Caitlyn is bad is because they honestly do not know how to play the champion. They think that just because Q and R scale off of attack damage that need to worry only about attack damage and armor penetration stats. Come team fights, they do poorly and they have no idea why and just blame it on the champion being bad. Well, the reason you feel that way is because you most likely ended up getting off a couple Q's and maybe and R and then just died due to the excessive amount of time you were wasting channeling these spells instead of using quick, powerful, auto attacks and microing.

If at the very least you argue that Ashe is better than Caitlyn because of her slow and stun, then surely you can realize that otherwise, the two should have almost the exact same item build; neither of them have any dps boosting abilities!! Would you build pure attack damage on Ashe without any attack speed? Of course not! Why should it be any different for Caitlyn!

If you have an open mind and are willing to try out literally, one of the best solo-mids in the game, give my guide and my build a shot, follow my advice on play-style, and then tell me if you've at all changed your mind. If you still need convincing I'll be willing to give anyone a demonstration of my Caitlyn 1v1 mid to show just how amazing her early game advantage can be and how quickly that can snowball into an overwhelming late game advantage against the enemy carry. Feel free to add me. :)

Lastly, read this explanation by Eledhan; it explains my idea behind Caitlyn much better than I can.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eledhan (Hozzászólás 5952117)
I think you have missed the point...

Sniper's whole strategy is to use Caitlyn's extreme early game advantage to snowball into a phenomenal late game build based on auto attacks. His strategy is to build up her early game bonuses (Peacemaker) right of the bat, and then to focus on what wins games in the end (auto attack).

Actually, her skills are pitiful for team fights once they've started. Yeah, sure, Peacemaker works like a charm for poking, but after the fight is going? It sucks. Plain and simple.

In the 1 second it takes for you to charge up Peacemaker, you are going to get wasted by an opponent.

Sniper's concept of focusing on her abilities for the laning phase and auto attacks for the team fights is spot-on, and I have to say...I was making the mistake of trying to make her abilities so much better...

You do realize that an IE critical will deal more damage than a Peacemaker shot, right? In which case, IE + PD is much better than any other possible itemization you could come up with.

"Keep running, you never know who's about to pentakill you."

HandsomeJimm 02-01-2011 03:15 AM

Sure she can deal damage, but her team utility is no big deal compared to Ashe or Sivir's. Anyway, good guide, learned a thing or two. +1

AIM7Sparrow 02-01-2011 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miggyawesome (Hozzászólás 5869469)
Sure she can deal damage, but her team utility is no big deal compared to Ashe or Sivir's. Anyway, good guide, learned a thing or two. +1

That's absolutely true she doesn't provide nearly the utility as Ashe or Sivir to teammates. Let me ask you this though. Which would you rather have, an Ashe or Sivir with twice the utility or a Caitlyn with twice the damage output thanks to her amazing early game advantage over said fellow carries. It's really not uncommon for me to find myself with 40+ creep score over enemies and 1-2 level advantage by level 11. Her early game is just simply amazing and it can create a massive snowball effect when you start team fights and the enemy has no dps to compete.

Wodin Ymir 02-01-2011 03:22 AM

Phantom dancer and IE should be removed from the item list imho. Piltover nor her ulti gain anything from crit. The Last Whisper and Black Cleaver combo would be better for auto auto attacking as well due to the armor pen.

Flakes123 02-01-2011 03:30 AM

Other than early game Cait is utterly useless. I really do not mind having a fed cait mid late game (I main tanks or melee dps). As a tank I just ignore you as your bullets just bounce off me and I heal half the damage you deal and as a dps I just need to jungle it up and pounce on you and you are dead. Cait is just irritating as hell to deal with early on and provides no utility compared to ashe with slow/stun or sivir who can push a lane in the blink of an eye

ZehNetoBR 02-01-2011 03:33 AM

As a regular Caitlyn player, I gotta say I disagree with more than half of your guide. Items I and II of your Mission Statement are not right, rune build could be better and you shouldn't bother focusing so hard on criticals, just to name a few.

There are, however, quite some merits on your guide. Item III of your Mission Statement makes sense, Team Fight behaviour is good and so on.

Instead of pure AD, you should focus your runes on Armor Penetration. There are over 9000 itens that pump your AD, but only ONE that boosts your Armor Penetration. And that, my friend, is KEY with Caitlyn.

Last but not least, the simple fact of posting a Caitlyn guide is worth the praise. So +1 to you!

EDIT: Build suggestion: Brutalizer+Frozen Mallet+Last Whisper+ The Bloodthrister+Black Cleaver.
Rune suggestion: Armor Pen/whatever you wish (I pick armor, but that's my preference)/Cooldown Reduction (mana won't be a problem on mid/late game. Also, if you do know how to time your skills and auto-attacks, your regular mana regen should be enough).

AIM7Sparrow 02-01-2011 03:49 AM

First off as a general response to everyone, please do not just read the item build and then say it's wrong. I appreciate comments but only if you've read the entire guide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZehNetoBR (Hozzászólás 5869711)
As a regular Caitlyn player, I gotta say I disagree with more than half of your guide. Items I and II of your Mission Statement are not right, rune build could be better and you shouldn't bother focusing so hard on criticals, just to name a few.

There are, however, quite some merits on your guide. Item III of your Mission Statement makes sense, Team Fight behaviour is good and so on.

Instead of pure AD, you should focus your runes on Armor Penetration. There are over 9000 itens that pump your AD, but only ONE that boosts your Armor Penetration. And that, my friend, is KEY with Caitlyn.

Last but not least, the simple fact of posting a Caitlyn guide is worth the praise. So +1 to you!

EDIT: Build suggestion: Brutalizer+Frozen Mallet+Last Whisper+ The Bloodthrister+Black Cleaver.
Rune suggestion: Armor Pen/whatever you wish (I pick armor, but that's my preference)/Cooldown Reduction (mana won't be a problem on mid/late game. Also, if you do know how to time your skills and auto-attacks, your regular mana regen should be enough).

Thanks for your response. I will say that I only take damage marks. Both quints and masteries focus on armor penetration so I'm just a bit confused what you mean by "pure AD" for my runes.

Also just as an overall note to your item build, we seem to disagree on the most effective way to play Caitlyn. It seems as if you favor her Q and R whereas I favor auto-attacks. That's fine if that be the case. Just know that if I'm wrong and that you actually do enjoy a stronger auto-attack my build will heavily out-dps the one you suggested.

Personally I feel that it's a hard truth to accept that Caitlyn's Q and R really aren't supposed to be used as often as people would like them to be. They just have extremely limited use in team fights. They are good for ganks and for the laning phase and therein lies her advantage over other carries but when you wake up and accept the reality that your auto-attack is just simply more useful in team fights you will realize to build her like a traditional carry and not just pure attack damage/armor pen.

Regardless though, thanks for your response and good luck! :D

BadgerDrool 02-01-2011 06:43 AM

Q can be used relatively safely to keep going after enemy squish while a tanks in your grill.

I do like the thoughts in this thread though and feel it was a good read.

JesusMaw 02-01-2011 06:54 AM

This is a really nice build for Caitlyn. tbh, I always thought she was the DPS type for early-game domination and just going through people with her auto attack, and her Q was really just used for poking the hell out of people, while her R was to finish off stragglers, and if a tank gets in the way..

.. well say good-bye to half your health bar Q_Q.

AIM7Sparrow 02-01-2011 07:13 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.

And yes I'd just like to emphasize that the reason I think so many people think Caitlyn is bad is because they honestly do not know how to play the champion. They think that just because Q and R scale off of attack damage that need to worry only about attack damage and armor penetration stats. Come team fights, they do poorly and they have no idea why and just blame it on the champion being bad. Well, the reason you feel that way is because you most likely ended up getting off a couple Q's and maybe and R and then just died due to the excessive amount of time you were wasting channeling these spells instead of using quick, powerful, auto attacks and microing.

If at the very least you argue that Ashe is better than Caitlyn because of her slow and stun, then surely you can realize that otherwise, the two should have almost the exact same item build; neither of them have any dps boosting abilities!! Would you build pure attack damage on Ashe without any attack speed? Of course not! Why should it be any different for Caitlyn!

Edit: Posting this in main thread.