League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] DPS Tristana – Proof that good things do come in small packages! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=45663)

The Dizzle 01-12-2010 10:43 AM

[Guide] DPS Tristana – Proof that good things do come in small packages!

DPS Tristana – Proof that good things do come in small packages!

Background Story

The Megling Commandos are something of a legend in Bandle City. They have a history that spans centuries, and they remain the oldest yordle military unit still in service. They are renowned for their courage and bravery, as well as their deadliness and ruthlessness, making them the most respected and feared of all warriors in Bandle City. Legends of Megling, the valiant founder of the commandos, can still be heard whispered throughout Valoran and it was these legends that most fascinated young Tristana. Since she was a wee child, Tristana wanted nothing more than to become the crack shot that her idol was all those years ago. She trained her entire life until she was old enough to join the military and could attempt to earn the rank of Megling Commando. The senior officers were impressed by her abilities, claiming that Tristana was a natural, and she realized her dream that day as she donned her Megling fatigues. Though her heart lies with her unit, the call to the Institute of War was greater still and now Tristana honors her tradition and protects her people as a champion in the League of Legends.

Stand very still when she asks you to put an apple on your head!

Runes / Masteries / Summoner Spells

Runes – Red is full Armor Pen, Yellow is a mix of dodge and health, Blue is full cooldown reduction. This is what I use for all dps charachters.

Masteries – Currently have a 21-0-9 build with cripple as I am always using Exhaust.

Summoner Spells – Flash is great for Tristana as it provides double leaping ability when combined with Rocket Jump. Cleanse is also good to help you escape and remove blind. With the nerf to Rally in the newest patch I now go Flash/Exhaust (with improved Cripple talent) and find it to be a very good combo.

Skills

Draw a Bead - (Passive): Tristana aims much more carefully, increasing her attack range with each level by 9 (703 total at level 18)

Q – Rapid Fire (Active): Increases Tristana's attack speed for 7 seconds.

Attack Speed: 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 / 90%
  • Cooldown: 20 sec.
  • Cost: 80 mana.

W – Rocket Jump (Active): Tristana fires at the ground to propel herself to target location, dealing magic damage and slowing surrounding units by 60% for 2.5 seconds when she lands. On kill or assist, Rocket Jump's cooldown resets.

Magic Damage: 70 / 115 / 160 / 205 / 250 (+0.8 per ability power)
Cooldown: 22 / 20 / 18 / 16 / 14 seconds
  • Cost: 100 mana
  • Range: 900

E(Pasive): Enemies explode when slain by Tristana's attacks, dealing magic damage to nearby enemies. (Active): Explosive Shot rends target enemy, reducing healing and health regeneration by 65% and dealing 25 (+0.1 per ability power) Magic Damage per second.

Cost: 50 / 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 Mana
Magic Damage Dealt (Passive): 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150
Duration: 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 seconds
  • Cooldown: 16 sec.
  • Range: 600

R – Buster Shot (Active): Tristana fires a massive cannonball at an enemy unit. This deals magic damage and knocks surrounding units back.

Magic Damage: 300 / 400 / 500 (+1.5 per ability power)
Knockback: 600 / 800 / 1,000 distance
  • Cooldown: 60 sec.
  • Cost: 150 mana
  • Range: 700

Rocket Jump (RJ) is definitely the sexiest of your abilities. This will be used the most to help you slow fleeing enemies, initiate battles in certain occasions, and to help you escape from certain death. Despite having this ability, Trist is still a super squishy hero and needs to be played as such. You are a long range glass cannon and positioning is of utmost importance. I have had many, many deaths due to poor positioning or rocket jumping into heroes when I had no business doing so. If you play smart and stay behind your beefcakes you will do very well with this hero and this guide. Due to the fact that RJ’s cooldown refreshes on a kill or assist (This is huge!), you can use it to tower dive a very low hero, kill them, then RJ/flash back out to safety, OR RJ from hero to hero to hero if they are all low and strung out a bit (blue golem buff is great for Trist so you can spam your abilities). You can use RJ to leap over an enemy and then use your ultimate to send them back into a tower or back into your team, but be careful about doing that in large team fights. At the end of the day you want to stay alive and the best way to do this is by staying in the back lines or coming in from the side. Try to be as sneaky as possible on this little death dealer.

Skill Breakdown

1) Exploding Shot
2) Rocket Jump
3) Rocket Jump
4) Exploding Shot
5) Rocket Jump
6) Buster Shot
7) Rapid Fire
8) Rapid Fire
9) Rapid Fire
10) Rapid Fire
11) Buster Shot
12) Rapid Fire
13) Rocket Jump
14) Rocket Jump
15) Exploding Shot
16) Buster Shot
17) Exploding Shot
18) Exploding Shot

I like to raise all of her abilities pretty much equally. Rapid Fire is way too much of an awesome ability to neglect it until the later levels. It will help you attack faster, which means more damage, which means more death, which means more profit, which means more win! I start pumping it up at level 7 after 3 levels of Rocket Jump and 2 of Exploding and your ultimate. At this point you should have some items where the extra attack speed will actually start to be worth it.

Item Breakdown & General Strategy

It is very important to study your opponents during the loading screen. Determine the type of team they have and that will help you figure out what is best for your build. I have several builds depending on what heroes the other team is using. Generally I start out with a Doran's Blade and 1 health pot or Rejuvination Beads and 4 Health Pots and 2 Mana pots. Head out to your lane (you can solo mid or lane with another hero, it really doesn’t matter as long as you stay in your lane and don’t die). If you fall behind in levels on Trist, it becomes an uphill battle the rest of the way. Head to your lane, harass their heroes, stay alive, try to get a kill or two when the opportunity presents itself by using exploding shot + an auto attack to get opponents low, then Rocket Jump + exhaust should = death. I usually don’t head back to base until level 6+ and by this time you should have well over 2k gold. It is very easy to farm with Tristana due to Exploding shot’s passive. Just focus on getting last hits early in the game and harass whenever they get close to your creeps, zone control the ish out of them. Once you port back and start getting some items, start looking for good ganking opportunities and start acting on them.

Generally I will buy a regular pair of boots, and save up for my BF sword. Then I will get boots of mobility (I get these due to the increased movespeed allowing you to rapidly move around the map and gank). From there it really depends on what the other team has. If they have a lot of high HP heroes, a madreds bloodrazer is an amazingly sexy item on Trist. Otherwise I will go straight for an infinity edge and a phantom dancer. You can also turn the Rejuvenation Bead into a Emblem of Valor (only 550 gold more and gives you an additional 17% lifesteal + 10 hp regen/5) into a Stark’s Fervor which is another great item for Trist + the team.

Other good items for Trist are basically anything that will increase your attack damage/attack speed. Black Cleaver, Last Whisper, Bloodthirster, etc.

Here are a few item builds you can do that all work out well.

Build 1

• A) Rejuvenation Bead + 4 Health & 2 Mana Pots > C) Emblem of Valor > G) Stark’s
  • B) Boots > E) Boots of Mobility (what I build)/Berserker’s Greaves/Mercury's Treads
  • D) Infinity Edge
  • F) Madred's Bloodrazer
  • H) Zeal > Phantom Dancer *Game usually ends right around here
  • I) Black Cleaver or Bloodthirster

Build 2

• A) Rejuvenation Bead + 4 Health & 2 Mana Pots > E) Emblem of Valor > I) Stark’s
  • B) Boots > D) Boots of Mobility /Berserker’s Greaves/Mercury Tread's
  • C) Infinity Edge
  • F) Bloodthirster
  • G) Black Cleaver
  • H) Zeal > Phantom Dancer

Build 3 (Lifesteal AKA Solo Baron Build)

1. A) Rejuvenation Bead + 4Health & 2 Mana Pots > D) Emblem of Valor > F) Stark’s
2. B) Boots > Boots of Mobility/Berserker’s Greaves/Mercury Tread's
3. C) Bloodthirster
4. E) Bloodthirster
5. G) Infinity Edge
6. H) Phantom Dancer (You can sell the Executioner’s for the Phantom at this point)

General Tips:

- Do not be in the frontlines of team battles. STAY BEHIND YOUR BEEF! Make nice with the tank on your team and always stay behind him in team battles using your range to your advantage.

- Play smart and value your life. If you play smart and take calculated risks you should end up with a very healthy kill/death ratio.

- Use your Buster Shot to help your teammates live when they are being chased. If 3-4 baddies are chasing your boy, shoot the front one and if they are clumped, they will all get knocked back.

- Always get +damage items to start out on her, I've seen some Trists get phantom dancer first and they end up gimped until it is too late in the game. You need +damage to blow up some faces.

Feel free to point out any mistakes. Good luck and blast some fools!

Bruce1nR 01-12-2010 12:50 PM

I've been playing Trist for a couple days.

This guide is helpful and I'll for sure be checking out those builds. Thanks.

Tundra Wolf 01-12-2010 12:54 PM

more item recommendations

here's a good item list too.
A. Vampiric scepter > F. Executioner's calling
B. Boots >C Berserker's' greaves
D. B.F. Sword > E. The black Cleaver
G. Infinity Edge
H. Trinity force and/or phantom dancer

this works well if you play it safe. i use a 21-1-8 and have exhaust and heal. Once you get the Black cleaver you can kill most heroes 1v1

BobiusMaximus 01-12-2010 01:30 PM

You're stacking more attack speed than you need to.

On the boots front go for Mercury's Treads. I also find Malady overated on trist and there are hugely better things she could be getting.

Trist only needs about 60% IAS to hit the 2.5 cap with Rapid Fire, and even without any she can dish out serious pain with rapid fire on.

I like to prioritize damage items such as bloodthirster and black cleaver before moving onto a zeal, from where I'll decide to go for Phantom dancer or infinity edge if the game is still going on.

Summoner spells wise I take cleanse and teleport. You shouldn't need flash and rocket jump, if you do you're getting in over your head and playing trist wrong.

Trist is brilliant during the laning phase, however.

A good tip is to stand just behind your minions so the enemy champion is in your range, but not to attack them often. Chuck an explosive shot at them every so often, and when they're overextending themselves because you aren't hurting them at all rocket jump and explosive shot them (this is pre level 6, as soon as you hit 6 you should be looking to RJ + Buster your opponent for an easy kill). If you can get a few kills early on as trist it can become impossible for the enemy team to strike back.

The Dizzle 01-13-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobiusMaximus (Hozzászólás 505568)
You're stacking more attack speed than you need to.

On the boots front go for Mercury's Treads. I also find Malady overated on trist and there are hugely better things she could be getting.

Trist only needs about 60% IAS to hit the 2.5 cap with Rapid Fire, and even without any she can dish out serious pain with rapid fire on.

I like to prioritize damage items such as bloodthirster and black cleaver before moving onto a zeal, from where I'll decide to go for Phantom dancer or infinity edge if the game is still going on.

Summoner spells wise I take cleanse and teleport. You shouldn't need flash and rocket jump, if you do you're getting in over your head and playing trist wrong.

Trist is brilliant during the laning phase, however.

A good tip is to stand just behind your minions so the enemy champion is in your range, but not to attack them often. Chuck an explosive shot at them every so often, and when they're overextending themselves because you aren't hurting them at all rocket jump and explosive shot them (this is pre level 6, as soon as you hit 6 you should be looking to RJ + Buster your opponent for an easy kill). If you can get a few kills early on as trist it can become impossible for the enemy team to strike back.

I agree about the laning and staying behind your minions to take potshots at your enemies.

About the attack speed though, in a game last night I had Stark's (+20%), Madred's Bloodrazer (+40%), and Berserker's Greaves (+25%), and I was not 2.5 speed capped with level 5 of Rapid Fire. It was around 2.34 attacks per second. Malady might not be the best weapon but the stacking DoT certainly helps early game and the lifesteal is very nice. A much cheaper lifesteal option is the Emblem of Valor which I build in almost all of the games.

I've been taking cleanse over flash for the last few games but have found situations where Flash would have saved my life over cleanse, but its always situational and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I also enjoy Berserker's Greaves because you can then focus entirely on +damage items for a while without having to go for +attack speed.

Ytinasni 02-01-2010 03:31 PM

Brutalizer is easily the the best attack damage for your buck out there.

My physical carries usually get dorans blade>brut>boots(as needed)>aspeed item(based on the character)>phage/sheen>bfsword item(prefer infinity or thirster)>trinity force/frozen mallet pending on the carry im playing

with tris I actually dont get an aspeed item, I go for crit item like execs calling. I dont get aspeed because with rapid fire you dont really need it.

Nastharl 02-01-2010 04:41 PM

Trin Force is one of the biggest possible wastes of gold on tristana, and you suggest it twice >_>

Tristina 02-02-2010 02:32 AM

I play Tristana mainly (just look at my name xD), and I love her. I found this guide really interesting and tried some of your builds. I rather start with a Vampiric Scepter and build it for an Executioner, because it's really effective in middle solo lane, when they got alot of HP potions. After that, I followed build 2, (which I use mainly now. It's so effective!) and ended up with 27 kills, 1 death and 18 assists. I find flash really useful. You can flash mid-air with Rocket Jump, which I found really funny. They failed to gank me several times because of it.

Good job for writing your guide. Keep up the good work. ^_^

PS: Tristana's physical attack range at level 18 is 703.

Empyron 02-02-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastharl (Hozzászólás 605309)
Trin Force is one of the biggest possible wastes of gold on tristana, and you suggest it twice >_>

Agreed with this.

Kersei 02-02-2010 07:32 AM

Hm.. my items are completely different, maybe someone can comment on my typical build...

runes: red - armor pen, everything else - crit chance
masteries - 21/0/9

boots/3 health pots
vamp scepter
boots -> serk or treads
IE (after buying IE, constantly use elixir of agility for any fights)
phantom dancer (game is usually over by now) or black cleaver if they have a lot of armor
black cleaver or phantom dancer (whichever i didn't get)
vamp scepter -> bloodthirster