League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hero for a noob (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=43845)

ifflejink 01-06-2010 03:19 PM

Hero for a noob

I'm looking for a hero to play, but I'm having trouble deciding. I've been playing Nunu, but I always end up having trouble with him- his ult can be hard to pull off, he feels a little lacking as a tank, and I was having a lot of trouble with an AP build, since I just wasn't able to get the ganks off. I'd like to play a tank with some ganking potential, ideally, but I'd also be good with some general dps. I was looking at buying Cho Gath, but from what I've heard he can be pretty tricky, and it's imperative not to die with him (admittedly, I've ended up feeding in a lot of the games I've played.) So, yeah, any suggestions?

nicosharp 01-06-2010 03:43 PM

maybe mundo. he can regen pretty quickly, and his abilities are pretty easy to use, although he isnt ideally suppose to be played at a tank (at higher skill levels)

Blitzcrank is pretty easy, only thing to master is his skill shot. He has pretty good survivability because of his passive and is great at ganking.

Rammus is also good, beat survivability, quick run away in his rollerball if needed. Taunt to hurt people around your towers, and is great for ganking with rollerball.

Taric has heals and a ranged stun,

Gaeb 01-06-2010 03:44 PM

Cho'gath is quite good.

What you need is something that farms easily (so even if you get behind you can make gold) and isn't reliant on early ganks.

AP Sion fits that bill quite well if you like melee and casting.

A more appropriate question is... what is your playstyle?
Tank
Mage
Carry
Support
Melee
Ranged
Stealth (aka assassin)

Pick some words... don't need to pick just 1 or 2!

ifflejink 01-06-2010 03:49 PM

Thanks for the help so far.

I've checked out AP Sion- he seems to be in the range of what I'm looking for, and he's also in my current price range, which is convenient.

As for my style, I'd say that Tank, Mage and Melee are the main ones that appeal to me. I wouldn't be opposed to ranged, but I find that those characters are often too squishy for my tastes.

nicosharp 01-06-2010 03:52 PM

AP Sion is still pretty **** squishy.. but if you play smart, and get gold fast enough. you should be fine.

Gaeb 01-06-2010 04:00 PM

Nice thing about AP sion is he farms like a god from level 3 or so. Just use your shield (click again to explode it on demand after 4s) and don't get caught out in the open alone with it not available.

I've been doing ap/dps sion a bit lately (doran's shield, mana crystal (sometimes upgrade to sheen, somtimes not), nashors, sorc boots, and so forth - depends on opponents and farming) ... fun, rocks towers hard, good survivability, fantastic farming potential, nice burst dmg.

Anyhoo -- there's a ton of sion threads. GL/HF

Other tank /mage /melee worth note are Singed, Amumu, Nunu, and arguably Karthus (well, mine always end up tanky by endgame)

tnemlec 01-06-2010 04:22 PM

u can try malphite

Hes one of my personal favorites, he is considered one of the more well balanced champion in game at the moment. He's tough, and he hits hard, lot of tricks in his bag, stun, snare, - attack speed debuff, and a self buff...etc.

He can be built in various ways.

Tank or DPS. But either way, he is not squishy, and he got a very high armor growth which also convert to dmg in one of his abilities.

He have one of the best initiators in game, and its not hard to pull off, definately my fav move (His ult)
A snare + self speed increase
Group Debuff + dmg AoE (-IAS for enemy)
and a self buff for 6 sec that basically doubles your dmg.

Passive lets you take on a beating.

I highly recommend Malphite, but it takes a bit of time and skills to master using him. He is pretty item dependent, but i guess most champs are.

bobthegood 01-07-2010 01:33 AM

Really, the most noob friendly hero would have to be Taric. He's tough, can heal himself, has an easy to use stun, and you can use his shatter to farm creeps easily. You don't need much in terms of regen beyond a chalice. The only thing you have to be careful about is not leaving your ult on and having it drain all your mana.

Your killing potential won't be high, but for a new player I would suggest playing taric and following close behind someone that seems competent. Heal him when he needs it, drop your stun when he fights someone, and pop your ult when things look saucy. I learned a lot about the other heroes while playing taric as my first hero.

gatsu 01-07-2010 02:04 AM

karthus imo

IceDive 01-07-2010 02:11 AM

I'd go for Blitz for a noob. As a tank/melee, he first what you like. Also he needs to be in team battles, so you will learn the team aspect pretty fast. And the rocket grab is a skillshot, so you will gain some skills by playing him as well. So I think it's a nice noob champ ebcause he has survivability combined with a nice learning cruve, so you can denoobify quickly