League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Things I wish I knew when I started playing LOL...... (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=42041)

macsauce 12-31-2009 08:29 AM

Things I wish I knew when I started playing LOL......

I saw a forum like this about a week ago, I can't find it. Anyways it was very helpful and I learned a ton of stuff about the game. For example.....

- Hitting 'Tab' pulls up the kill scores and champion gear list

- Crit stacks fully. Ie. 2x Infinity Edges give you 40% crit.

- You can change your mastery points every game after you pick a new hero.

If anyone wants to add to the list, feel free. Or link the old thread.

Basilisk9466 12-31-2009 08:41 AM

When playing Shaco or Annie, alt-right click orders your double/Tibbers around instead of you.

Seriously, this needs to be publicised better. There have even been whine threads by people who think there's no way to control them.

A123B 12-31-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilisk9466 (Hozzászólás 463871)
When playing Shaco or Annie, alt-right click orders your double/Tibbers around instead of you.

Seriously, this needs to be publicised better. There have even been whine threads by people who think there's no way to control them.

O.O
Thank you so much!
seriously I just started playing about 3 days ago.....and manually targeting my double shaco/tibbers to attack stuff....
=(

Dartkun 12-31-2009 09:45 AM

"Greed" the mastery skill is not as great as people might think.

1 gold every 10 seconds = 6 gold a minute = 360 gold in a half hour (length of my games)

HeLawlsAtYouSon 12-31-2009 10:43 AM

Malphite wins games. Going pro with a tank or support early on is better then going pro with a carry or caster.

BORF 12-31-2009 11:53 AM

EDIT: This advise may not be great for brand new players, but it is good to know after you have played for a few days.

Any character without a good disable who isn't Yi/trynd/twitch is a waste to play and you're hurting your team by doing so.

Every character is good if they are fed, it's about finding the character that is the best when fed, or good with no feeding (disable/support/tank)

Casters are bad with a few exceptions. People play them because they are much easier to steal kills with than a physical carry.

Evelynn is a terrible version of twitch and shaco is only good versus bad people. Both will hinder your team if the enemy team is good.

Ashe is a terrible version of Yi, don't play her.

Tanks getting kills HURTS your team, always give kills to carrys. This is one of the hardest to deal with because people are so greedy.

The first 5 deaths are so much more important than the rest of the deaths, and kills/deaths/assists late game means very little to how much you contributed to your team.

Not dying is probably more important than getting kills, unless you are a hard carry.

If you found your item build in a guide it's not the best, don't act like you know what is good unless you have actually done the math and have a reason to know.

XrBob 12-31-2009 02:02 PM

Those are some good points, most of them I can agree with. I'm just curious which casters you find to be useless as compared to which ones are worth playing. I feel like fiddlesticks is one of the better ones, annie as well. I like to play anivia and morgana from time to time, but after the early game I feel like some of their usefulness diminishes.

To contribute:

Wards are good. Put a vison ward in your lane if a stealth character likes to hang out there. Start putting sight wards next to baron when you reach about level 12, putting some by dragon is good too.

One thing that I found about is you can check the profile of top players. Check the top 500 elo list, or even people you played against. This can give you information about what champs they like to use, what items are good on those champs, and what runes and masteries they like to use. If they are good players, their setup is also likely to be good.

Be very cautious when you are alone and enemies are unaccounted for. If you're farming off minions or taking down a tower, the enemy can see you, and they will go after you. This can sometimes be turned into a bait tactic, but usually it will end in your gankrape if you stay out in the open too long.

Don't put yourself needlessly in danger. It's more difficult to asses later, but in the laning phase, if all you can do is stay exp range and not killed, that's good enough. Hopefully you can score some last hits and harass, but if you got stuck in a tough lane, do whatever you have to do to not die.

Skryner 12-31-2009 04:30 PM

I know it's bad form to plug your own thread, but my karma sucks anyway.

This is a good post for basic stratagy

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=41872

DeanKeaton259 12-31-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BORF (Hozzászólás 464474)
EDIT: This advise may not be great for brand new players, but it is good to know after you have played for a few days.

Any character without a good disable who isn't Yi/trynd/twitch is a waste to play and you're hurting your team by doing so.

Every character is good if they are fed, it's about finding the character that is the best when fed, or good with no feeding (disable/support/tank)

Casters are bad with a few exceptions. People play them because they are much easier to steal kills with than a physical carry.

Evelynn is a terrible version of twitch and shaco is only good versus bad people. Both will hinder your team if the enemy team is good.

Ashe is a terrible version of Yi, don't play her.

Tanks getting kills HURTS your team, always give kills to carrys. This is one of the hardest to deal with because people are so greedy.

The first 5 deaths are so much more important than the rest of the deaths, and kills/deaths/assists late game means very little to how much you contributed to your team.

Not dying is probably more important than getting kills, unless you are a hard carry.

If you found your item build in a guide it's not the best, don't act like you know what is good unless you have actually done the math and have a reason to know.

There are a lot of overgeneralizations here. If you're a nub, I wouldn't take what he said as gospel. All in all, good team composition and non-feeder teammates win games. Some heroes are always a good choice, while others are only good against some others. Obviously, if your team picks the ones that are always good every game, then you're going to have a much better chance of winning.

Kelin 01-01-2010 07:56 AM

First rule of thumb:

NEVER rush in when you KNOW it is merely a trade of death/kill. You are near dead and you see a near dead enemy champion near his tower teleporting away and you rush in without ZERO chance of escaping (Tower only needs 2 hits on you) don't go in! If the enemy just happens to have exhaust ready you cannot touch and effectively just died. Best case scenario is a trade of death/kill which isn't good.