League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Femme Fatale: Ashe the Frost Archer (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=40887)

Dathaen 12-27-2009 06:22 PM

[Guide] Femme Fatale: Ashe the Frost Archer

Introduction
Some say that Ashe is a noob hero, that anyone can play her. I beg to differ. Ashe is a very good carry hero if played correctly (in other words, the way I’m going to show you). She’s all about the offensive; kill this, kill that, and kill them over there. This guide may not be for you, as I play highly aggressively, and sometimes, I die (oh noez). If you want to force the enemy into 25 minute surrenders and carry your team, just look at all the yummy information below.
PS – I taught someone all this information, and he was called a hacker LOL.

Base Stats
At Level 1:
Health: 438 (+79/level)
Mana: 200 (+27/level)
Attack Damage: 46 (+3/level)
Attack Speed: .66 (+.02/level)
Armor: 12 (+3.4/level)
Magic Resist: 30 (+0/level)
Crit Chance: 4 (+.55/level)
Ability Power: 0 (+0/level)
Health Regen: 5 (+.55/level)
Mana Regen: 4 (+.2/level)
Dodge: 0 (+0/level)
Range: 600
Move Speed: 300

Abilities
Passive: Focus – Ashe gains 3/6/9/12/15/18% crit chance for every 3 seconds that she does not attack.
Q: Frost Shot – Ashe auto attacks become imbued with frost, slowing for 10/17/24/31/38%. 8 mana per shot, no cooldown.
W: Volley – Ashe fires 9 arrows in a cone that do your damage +40/50/60/70/80. Has a 20/16/12/8/4 second cooldown, 60 mana to cast at all levels.
E: Plentiful Bounty – Every time Ashe kills a minion/monster, she gains 1/2/3/4/5 extra gold. 0 mana cost, no cooldown.
R: Enchanted Frost Arrow – Ashe fires a huge frost arrow that does 250/425/600 damage; the longer it flies, the longer the stun. 150 mana, 75second cooldown.

Masteries
Personally I favor 9/0/21. Important masteries are marked with a *. Here is a breakdown:
Offense
3 Deadliness*
1 Archmage’s Savvy
4 Sorcery
1 Archaic Knowledge*
Utility (Get this first!)
1 Spatial Accuracy
3 Perseverance*
4 Awareness*
4 Expanded Mind
3 Meditation*
3 Quickness
3 Intelligence*
Why I do this: Ashe has horrible mana problems. I get Meditation and Expanded Mind to help it out. It also isn’t bad to have an Ashe that runs 3% faster, or have more regen / CD reduction.

Runes
Red: Crit Damage (Greater Mark of Furor)
Yellow: Flat Mp/5 (Greater Seal of Replenishment)
Blue: Hp per Level (Greater Glyph of Vitality)
Quintessence: This one is a throw up. I personally have 2 Greater Quints of Clarity and 1 Greater Quint of Furor. If you seem to be having more mana issues, get Clarity. If you have an overabundance of mana, get Furor.
Why I do this: Ashe has horrid mana problems (as said in mastery section) and possibly the lowest health in the game at the start. Her passive gives you tons of crit always, so crit damage is a much stronger stat than crit chance.

Summoner Spells
Teleport – The BEST summoner spell in my opinion. It improves map mobility greatly. This spell allows you to not lose as much experience if you die early game; you die, you don’t have to run and waste all that time.
Flash – Another great spell. Flash allows you to get rid of projectiles that are flying towards you (Twisted Fate’s ‘Pick A Card’, tower shots, etc). It also allows for some awesome getaways. Learn what walls you can flash over and which you can’t.
Personally I don’t use other spells, so it is up to you on what you use.

Skill Build
Volley (V)
Frost Arrow (FA)
V
FA
V
Enchanted Crystal Arrow (ECA)
V
FA
V (Maxed)
FA
ECA
FA (Maxed)
Plentiful Bounty (PB)
PB
PB
ECA (Maxed)
PB
PB (Maxed)
Why I do this: Volley is your main source of harassment. It has a way longer range than your normal attacks, so abuse it. Volley also applies your current level of Frost Arrow to every target it hits, so it’s good to have an AOE 38% slow. Plentiful Bounty isn’t that strong in my opinion until you can start one shotting or two shotting entire creep waves.

Item Build
1. BF Sword
2. Berserker's Greaves
3. BF Sword
4. Bloodthirster
5. Infinity Edge
6. Phantom Dancer
7. Warmog's Living Armor
(More detail on this in Early/Mid/Late Game sections)

I’m not going to give you a whole paragraph that you have to read about the early/mid/late game, so here are some pointers:

Early Game (1-6)
-Solo mid. Call it out in Champion Select if you have to, just make sure you get it.
-Don’t buy any items before creeps spawn. Why? You get a BF Sword faster, and it enables you to farm money better.
-Don’t get greedy. Let a kill pass if you are going to take substantial/fatal damage.
-Harass with Volley while hitting some of the creeps. Hit them while they’re behind creeps. It takes practice.
-Go back to base when you have 2200 gold, this allows you to get a BF Sword and Boots of Speed at the same time.
-If you have been harassing correctly, and the enemy is fairly low on hp (25-50%), let them push your lane a bit when you are level 5. Right when you get level 6, get Enchanted Frost Arrow and hit them with it. Proceed to put arrows in their back until they’re dead.

Mid Game (7-12)
-Start ganking. It helps to have the extra money and pushing power. Coordinate with your teammates to make this happen.
-Somewhere around level 11 or 12, you should have enough money for your Berserker’s Greaves and maybe your second BF Sword.
-Gank and push. I can’t stress it enough of how good a pusher Ashe is after she gets her items going.

Late Game (13-18)
-Get Bloodthirster and Infinity Edge, in that order, as soon as you can.
-When you go to push a tower, kill the enemy heroes who dare defend it. Just be aware that you are squishy and that towers do a LOT of damage.
-Get a Zeal -> Phantom Dancer. Who doesn’t love more attack speed, crit chance, move speed and dodge?
-If the game even lasts long enough, get your Warmog’s. Start with a Giant’s Belt for the HP and then upgrade it when you have enough time.

Conclusion
Ashe is all about early game. If you don’t do well in the early game, you won’t do well in the rest of the game. There is no coming back from being farmed (Ashe has one of the lowest HP values in the game), so farm them instead.

Feedback would be lovely, and I’ll even explain my reasoning on some of the things. If you want to bash, take that elsewhere; forced conformism is, well, ****ing stupid.

Impunity 12-27-2009 07:11 PM

Great guide, personally used it and haven't gotten less than 15 kills and assists a game :)

<3 Dath

Lendari 12-27-2009 08:05 PM

Support
Early BF sword (to infinity edge) is the key to Ashe, you got this right - and it's an important realization. The earlier you can make the happen, the more likely you are to get on a killing spree and carry the game.

Criticisms
Quote:

Ashe is all about early game. If you don’t do well in the early game, you won’t do well in the rest of the game. There is no coming back from being farmed (Ashe has one of the lowest HP values in the game), so farm them instead.
How you can say this and advocate running to middle with no items is beyond me.

1 - You cannot lane against a good player without health regen or a regen rune build. Your suggestin to run to mid with no items means that you are relying on the other team placing a bad player in the middle. Also, you will loose mid to strong pushers without offensive volley spam which requires a meki pendant. Philosophers stone is a clear best opening item choice for Ashe.

Buy the regen pendant. Farm 640 gold. Port home for philos. Port back. That is a standard Ashe opening and you should dominate the lane around lvl 4 doing this. Kudos if you can farm 1050 gold and get boots 1 at the same time, but a good harassing player will force you out of mana well before that.

BAD SOLO MATCHUPS: Ashe looses against people with teleport attacks like kassadin and shaco. Katrina is an exception because you can run away from her effectively. Ashe will get pushed to a turret by certian tanks (not enough early game DPS output to harass them) like mundo, cho and tryndamere and be vulnerable to dives.

2 - You need boots of swiftness as early as possible. This allows you the mobility to gank top\bot. If you are against a strong (but winnable) solo mid lane (like Yi, Sivir, Soraka + Something, CM, Annie, Viegar, etc...) and KNOW you're trapped there, yes it might be better to rush BF on boots 1, but a general strategy is WIN middle (don't worry about killing, just send them back to base 2x) and gank top\bot using your arrow + your 2-3 level advantage.

This is how you start your feed.

3 - It is not imperative to buy BF Sword, the mace has the same damage\gold ratio. It is effective to get a mace as 3rd item in a pinch. If nothing else you will farm faster and your volley will hit harder.

4 - Do not buy 2 BF sowrds. This is anti-synergistic. For the same amount of money you could have infinity edge.

5 - After infinity you need to choose between Malady and Phantom Dancer based on your confidence in your team mates\tanks etc... basically are they going to chase people you hit down to 50% or are the able to read a situation correctly and know the difference between a harass and an initiate.

You WANT phantom dancer, but you might need to get Malady instead if your team is having close calls in team fights or making stupidly aggressive plays.

6 - I am an advocate of guadian angel over warmogs. You can still be focus killed with warmogs on, especially against a good disable team a suprise shaco or master yi coming from behind, etc...

7 - The best counter item is generally madreds bloodrazor. Sometimes banshees veil is better if you are against 2+ burst casters or a heavy disable team (more than cleanse and guardian angel can handle).

In a long game it is efficient to sell your philosophers stone (when you no longer need volley to push creeps quickly).

SomeoneRandom 12-27-2009 08:05 PM

Utility (Get this first!)
1 Spatial Accuracy
3 Perseverance*
4 Awareness*
4 Expanded Mind
3 Meditation*
3 Quickness
3 Intelligence*

You didnt get the top tier of utility, you suck L2P

Lendari 12-27-2009 08:30 PM

I play Ashe as 21\9 offense build. Lethality (10% more crit damage is especially important as is 5% overall increase). The arrow cooldown is lower than most other ultis already, in general I find that it is up when I need it.

I used to play a cooldown build a long time ago, but ashe is make or break based on sustained DPS output. Literally, it is all she has. Ether she kills people or is nothing.

darkarsenic 12-27-2009 08:50 PM

the second i saw buy nothing at the start, thats when i pretty much just stopped reading. anyone will out harass you if you have no items, i personally hate having ashe's solo mid since ashe doesn't seem like a good carry to me(no escape abilities besides slow, and really squishy), more like a constant slow for the team with a full screen stun(its a little belittling but heck).

also you can't hit someone "behind" creeps, volley arrows hit one thing, so if they are behind a minion while you volley them, the volley will be eaten by the creeps, you have to hit them from the side, or behind them.

flash doesn't get "rid" of projectiles like pick a card or turret shots, if they are aleady flying at you, then they will hit you. you use it to move out of the way of skillshots, or avoid getting targeted by a turret, but it won't eat up a hit. personally i think cleanse or ignite would be better, cleanse can get you out of ranged stuns/slows so you can get away/dps more, or ignite to seal the deal on a kill.

focus imo isn't something really to be relied on in fights, its good for harassing, but you should be just last hitting(which it also helps with) but its not always there for you. personally my ashe build looked like this
boots+ pots
zerker greaves+executioner's calling
last whisper
infinity edge
and by the either the game is over, or i have failed mid and lost the game to superior carries.

Dathaen 12-27-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lendari (Hozzászólás 450930)
Support
Early BF sword (to infinity edge) is the key to Ashe, you got this right - and it's an important realization. The earlier you can make the happen, the more likely you are to get on a killing spree and carry the game.

Criticisms

How you can say this and advocate running to middle with no items is beyond me.

1 - You cannot lane against a good player without health regen or a regen rune build. Your suggestin to run to mid with no items means that you are relying on the other team placing a bad player in the middle. Also, you will loose mid to strong pushers without offensive volley spam which requires a meki pendant. Philosophers stone is a clear best opening item choice for Ashe.

Buy the regen pendant. Farm 640 gold. Port home for philos. Port back. That is a standard Ashe opening and you should dominate the lane around lvl 4 doing this. Kudos if you can farm 1050 gold and get boots 1 at the same time, but a good harassing player will force you out of mana well before that.

BAD SOLO MATCHUPS: Ashe looses against people with teleport attacks like kassadin and shaco. Katrina is an exception because you can run away from her effectively. Ashe will get pushed to a turret by certian tanks (not enough early game DPS output to harass them) like mundo, cho and tryndamere and be vulnerable to dives.

2 - You need boots of swiftness as early as possible. This allows you the mobility to gank top\bot. If you are against a strong (but winnable) solo mid lane (like Yi, Sivir, Soraka + Something, CM, Annie, Viegar, etc...) and KNOW you're trapped there, yes it might be better to rush BF on boots 1, but a general strategy is WIN middle (don't worry about killing, just send them back to base 2x) and gank top\bot using your arrow + your 2-3 level advantage.

This is how you start your feed.

3 - It is not imperative to buy BF Sword, the mace has the same damage\gold ratio. It is effective to get a mace as 3rd item in a pinch. If nothing else you will farm faster and your volley will hit harder.

4 - Do not buy 2 BF sowrds. This is anti-synergistic. For the same amount of money you could have infinity edge.

5 - After infinity you need to choose between Malady and Phantom Dancer based on your confidence in your team mates\tanks etc... basically are they going to chase people you hit down to 50% or are the able to read a situation correctly and know the difference between a harass and an initiate.

You WANT phantom dancer, but you might need to get Malady instead if your team is having close calls in team fights or making stupidly aggressive plays.

6 - I am an advocate of guadian angel over warmogs. You can still be focus killed with warmogs on, especially against a good disable team a suprise shaco or master yi coming from behind, etc...

7 - The best counter item is generally madreds bloodrazor. Sometimes banshees veil is better if you are against 2+ burst casters or a heavy disable team (more than cleanse and guardian angel can handle).

In a long game it is efficient to sell your philosophers stone (when you no longer need volley to push creeps quickly).

Thank you for offering input.

But, I do run in with no items. The key is to simply just not get hit. It sounds really dumb, but hey, its possible. With the new change where things get an orange outline when they're targeting you, it's very very easy to tell when you're about to get attacked. The only problem I have is against Sivir (**** those bouncing blades!).

If you do get pushed to your turret, who cares? If you're still able to farm money, and you don't lose a turret, what does it matter where you're fighting?

To your fourth point, that being not to buy two BF Swords, why would I buy an item that costs more than a BF Sword, for 20 less damage upgrade? Sure, the crit damage increase is nice, but how often are you going to crit in a team fight without a Phantom Dancer? I'd say MAYBE 1 in 10 attacks are crits until your Phantom. Not worth the 20 less constant damage.

If you were to do the math, rushing an Infinity is actually less efficient than getting a Bloodthirster. When your Bloodthirster is fully charged, you get +100 damage (60 base, 40 from killing creeps/champs), which is more raw damage than an Infinity Edge. Bloodthirster also costs less, by about 800 gold. Look above to see reasoning for raw damage vs crit damage early/mid game.

With your item build you are suggesting, I can see the Malady being a valuable item. With my item build, it is worthless. Lifesteal from Bloodthirster (first BF Sword upgrade), attack speed from Phantom Dancer. The only thing those two items dont cover is the ****ing worthless DoT that Malady gives.

Quote:

You didnt get the top tier of utility, you suck L2P
I'm assuming you mean the Summoner Spell CDR, so I say this. Teleport is a 5 minute cooldown. What is 15% of 5 minutes? 45 seconds. 5 minutes minus 45 seconds is only 4 minutes, 15 seconds. Now lets look at Flash. 3 minute cooldown. 15%? 27 seconds. 3 minutes minus 27 seconds? 2 minutes, 33 seconds. I only look at these spells because those are the ones I use.

Now, please tell me, why would I spend a mastery point in that, just to get some seconds off of my summoner spells? The only thing I would even consider taking points out from is Expanded Mind, and that 1.25% increased mana is much more worth it for Ashe.

Sad part is, he probably wont even check this guide to see if I responded.

Quote:

I play Ashe as 21\9 offense build. Lethality (10% more crit damage is especially important as is 5% overall increase). The arrow cooldown is lower than most other ultis already, in general I find that it is up when I need it.

I used to play a cooldown build a long time ago, but ashe is make or break based on sustained DPS output. Literally, it is all she has. Ether she kills people or is nothing.
Funny thing is, I dont use Utility for the cooldown on the Enchanted Crystal Arrow. I use it for the Volley. More Volley = more harass/gold farming = more items. I also use Utility to make up for her poor excuse for mana regen. I tried Offense, and frankly, I had many more mana problems than Utility, and mana is essential to her early game.

Quote:

the second i saw buy nothing at the start, thats when i pretty much just stopped reading. anyone will out harass you if you have no items, i personally hate having ashe's solo mid since ashe doesn't seem like a good carry to me(no escape abilities besides slow, and really squishy), more like a constant slow for the team with a full screen stun(its a little belittling but heck).

also you can't hit someone "behind" creeps, volley arrows hit one thing, so if they are behind a minion while you volley them, the volley will be eaten by the creeps, you have to hit them from the side, or behind them.

flash doesn't get "rid" of projectiles like pick a card or turret shots, if they are aleady flying at you, then they will hit you. you use it to move out of the way of skillshots, or avoid getting targeted by a turret, but it won't eat up a hit. personally i think cleanse or ignite would be better, cleanse can get you out of ranged stuns/slows so you can get away/dps more, or ignite to seal the deal on a kill.

focus imo isn't something really to be relied on in fights, its good for harassing, but you should be just last hitting(which it also helps with) but its not always there for you. personally my ashe build looked like this
boots+ pots
zerker greaves+executioner's calling
last whisper
infinity edge
and by the either the game is over, or i have failed mid and lost the game to superior carries.
First paragraph's only response is this: I have Flash for a reason.

Second paragraph: That, good sir, is true. BUT by "behind a minion" is a relative term. I have shot arrows with volley that pass through the very little space inbetween minions and have hit champions with it. Or when they're on the "back corner" of a mob; behind it, yet a little to the side. I'm going to toot my own horn here and say that I am very good at aiming it.

Third Paragraph: By taking away Flash, you get rid of Ashe's only escape skill. Volley does a certain amount, but can only go so far. And yes, it does take away turret shots, and other projectiles. Go test it. Run into a turret's range, let it shoot at you, and Flash away. If you can't manage that, you're too slow. Ignite has the same problem Exhaust does - the range on it is smaller than your auto attack range. You have to run in to use it, which means you're closer to the enemy, and if they are melee, gives them a better shot at you; if they're ranged, it gives you a longer, and harder, time to escape.

Last Paragraph: Focus can't be used AT ALL in team fights, unless you stop dpsing for 3 seconds to get one tick of it, which is beyond stupid. Focus is there for last hitting and big opening shots when ganking. I'm not saying anyone else's Ashe build is wrong, I'm giving my take on it.

Quote:

Great guide, personally used it and haven't gotten less than 15 kills and assists a game :)

<3 Dath
I love you too buddy. <3

Side note - this was edited about 4 times. I'll probably edit it some more, to be honest.

Dathaen 12-27-2009 10:43 PM

Completely unrelated to my last post (which happens to be above this), if anyone would like me to show them how this works, I'd be more than happy to. Add me ingame (Dathaen is the name, obviously) and we'll get some games going.

Benoit 12-28-2009 01:17 AM

What's with all the Ashe guide lately? They all say the same **** and bring no improvement to either item build or gameplay.

Also, get Catalyst.

Chairs 12-28-2009 02:16 AM

Response toDathaen's last post.

2 B.F. Swords < IE

It's just the truth, raw damage doesn't cut it, 20% crit simply does that what makes physical damage last in this game: it scales.

Raw damage doesn't scale unless it's supported by a stat that exponentially increases your dps, i.e. crit, crit damage and attack speed.