League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Mac Client (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The (Brief) Chronology of Retina Support in the PvP.net Client (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3606102)

Mirror 06-28-2013 07:26 PM

The (Brief) Chronology of Retina Support in the PvP.net Client

May 16: The arrival of Retina-quality text and graphics in the PvP.net (AIR) Client was first heralded the day patch 3.7 went live:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirror (Hozzászólás 37782254)
PvP.net Client - Now in Retina! So pretty!

That patch, however, contained a now-infamous feature: Custom Item Sets.

May 29: We learn that Item Sets are the cause of the worsening in-game lag. A hotfix is announced, and scheduled for the 30th.

May 30: The hotfix disabling Item Sets is completed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riot NOC
05/30 14:30 PDT - Summoners, we have released this hotfix. Custom Item Sets have now been temporarily disabled. Thank you for your understanding.

May 31: The first thread observing the undoing of Retina:
Quote:

Originally Posted by victorzaroni (Hozzászólás 38261140)
Between the time of the freljord patch and patch previous to the most recent one, the LOL client was retina compatible. All text was in retina, most icons, the mouse pointer, and the log in animation. Now, after this most recent patch, everything is blurry again. The lol client was so beautiful in 2880x1800. Now it looks awful. I'm not sure if Riot ever intended to make it retina compatible since it was never in the patch notes, but it was for a while and now it isn't and it makes me sad. Can us MacBook with retina display users get some love?

Other threads mourning the loss of Retina: one, two, and three.

June 14ish: We learn that the hotfix was not just a disable of the Custom Item Sets feature, but a reversion of the PvP.net Client to 3.6 (also observable based on the fact that the Item Sets tab disappeared, but still functioned in-game):
Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotBahamut (Hozzászólás 38549466)
The Item Sets feature was released in patch 3.7. As many of you know, some issues came up and the decision was made to hop back to 3.6. While those issues weren't related to the item sets feature, it had the unfortunate side effect of taking it down by going back to a point in time when it wasn't set up to be released.

Here's the part where we come full-circle. The reason that some people are still seeing item sets that they created while 3.7 was up is this: At some point, you created some item sets and then went in to a game. The item sets feature wrote those special files, and the game used them to display those items in the shop. However, the item sets feature was taken away when we went back to 3.6 and those files were left behind.

(The bold is mine, for emphasis.)

--

TL; DR / Conclusions: Retina support arrived in 3.7. It disappeared along with Custom Item Sets when the PvP.net Client was reverted to its 3.6 edition. Item Sets have since made a valiant return. Retina support has not. Without any real insight into the inner workings of Riot's platform development process, it's only logical to presume that someone in charge of production forgot, in all the related hubbub and game service disruption, that Retina made it through as part of 3.7.

As requested by our Great Mac Teammate, Brentmeister:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister (Hozzászólás 39240121)
Could you make a more detailed (separate) thread about how retina doesn't work anymore with the air client? I've seen people mention gaining/losing it around item sets but I have no idea what they are talking about.

Picklwarrior 06-29-2013 01:44 PM

Retina wasn't all I lost, I also had a much snappier, less buggy client, and my log in screen animations had higher than the ~5 FPS they have without it.

I really, REALLY want retina support/3.7 back

RiotBrentmeister, you are my only hope

Yordlelicious 07-01-2013 02:34 PM

I'm glad more attention is being brought to this. I know it doesn't affect a huge portion of Mac users, a small player base as it is, but it is quite important. ^^

Damiya 07-01-2013 03:23 PM

Hey guys, Brentmeister pointed me this thread. Retina support is probably tied to the 3.7 Air SDK which will be making its return in 3.9

Apygoos 07-01-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damiya (Hozzászólás 39329907)
Hey guys, Brentmeister pointed me this thread. Retina support is probably tied to the 3.7 Air SDK which will be making its return in 3.9 tonight

wait the patch is tonight?

Zerglinator 07-01-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damiya (Hozzászólás 39329907)
Hey guys, Brentmeister pointed me this thread. Retina support is probably tied to the 3.7 Air SDK which will be making its return in 3.9 tonight

TONlGHT?

Kchaosrei 07-01-2013 03:43 PM

did the red edited their post?

Yordlelicious 07-01-2013 03:47 PM

Oh wow that is very good news. :D

Mirror 07-01-2013 03:49 PM

ty RobotDamiya, I hope to see you in the LCS threads this weekend.

Damiya 07-01-2013 04:04 PM

Hey guys,
I had some out of date info, please don't get hung up on the 'tonight' bit.