League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Mac Client (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   rMBP - Overheating & Shutting Down. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3562672)

Kolbe Jack 06-17-2013 08:16 AM

rMBP - Overheating & Shutting Down.

My original system was an iMac from mid-2007. The specs barely met the minimum requirements. I could run LoL with no problems (besides low fps, but that's hardly an issue for me).

I have recently acquired a 15" retina display MacBook Pro and migrated only the applications. I'm able to run the client, but as soon as I start a match and am not even 5 minutes into the game, the fans go crazy and my Mac shuts down. I'm running temperature readings from Temperature Monitor and the processor can go upwards of 109şC. I am thinking migration is where the problem lies, but I really cannot remember if I deleted League and reinstalled it, so I am doing just that and seeing if maybe I'd migrated some bad settings over. Here are some specs on my current system:

Software OS X 10.8.4
Processor Name/Speed 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Number of Processors 1
Total Number of Cores 4
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB (Built-In) & NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB (PCIe)

I will update once the install is finished again. Feel free to prod for more information on any factours I may have missed.

Thanks for reading.

FreakinUnoriginl 06-17-2013 03:07 PM

You might also want to try to reset the System Management Controller: < Apple support link >

After I first got my rMBP, and occasionally after updates, I've needed to do this to get my fans to operate correctly when playing games (not just League). If it works for you, please let us know.

Kolbe Jack 06-17-2013 09:11 PM

I'll do that if reinstalling the client alone does not work out. Thank you much!

EDIT1: After a whole day of reinstalling, I made a custom bot game in Summoner's Rift. Temperatures seemed to be normal, but a couple minutes later the fans kicked up, the temperature jumped, and the Mac shut down. Hopefully resetting the SMC helps.

EDIT2: It seems that resetting the SMC did not work, given that I did it correctly. It has been suggested that I create a new user and try from there. Last ray of hope before I head to the Apple store. :(

Kolbe Jack 06-17-2013 11:43 PM

I have tried everything that I can think of. No luck. If anybody else has any other ideas before I take a trip to the Apple store, feel more than free to throw them my way. It would be greatly appreciated.

Mirror 06-18-2013 07:13 AM

Yes, you need to take it in. Whether it's a hardware problem or a firmware problem, it's not a League problem. Be prepared for them to offer you a new logic board (which means being without your computer for several days). If you have any other graphics-intensive games you can install to show them how your computer overheats, that may be helpful in case you get dealt a derpier Genius.

puremojo 06-18-2013 12:20 PM

I would take it in, sorry guy.

I use a 15in pro with i7. Without SMC Fan controller on I can get 95C (I think thats the highest I've seen it), with it on I can keep it mid-lower 80's though.

But regardless, you shouldn't need to manually control fan speed. Perhaps a temp sensor is bugging. 109C though is definitely way too high.

Kolbe Jack 06-28-2013 06:44 AM

I was finally able to take it into the Apple store yesterday. My Genius ran a troubleshoot and everything cleared. The only thing he could suggest was to turn "Automatic graphics switching" off and come back if it happened again.

I did that and started a custom in Summoner's Rift with one friend. Everything ran smooth and minions actually spawned! I tabbed out to open my temperature monitor and it spiked, the fans started up, but instead it started cooling down instead of crashing. Out of curiosity I turned Automatic graphics switching back on. I don't think it was even a minute before it crashed.

I turned my Mac back on, opened League, opened Skype, kept the temp monitor open... I played a co-op in Twisted Treeline and was able to play fully through.

So...there's the issue for anyone who might have been experiencing the same problems, I believe. For extra measure, I'm shifting around my desk so I can prop the MBP up and allow it to get more air.

Thank you all for your feedback. It is much appreciated. I'll update as necessary!

Mirror 06-28-2013 07:25 AM

Even so, automatic graphics switching shouldn't be causing your fans to underperform. I would take it in and demonstrate with multiple games (or even some very high resolution Flash video). You should not have to turn off a feature of your hardware in order to have your computer's fans work properly.

However, this makes me wonder if it's a problem related to your hardware not triggering the switch properly, in such a way that it crashes your computer. Your machine's temperature wouldn't change so drastically in the span of a minute that it would go from perfectly playable to a shut down, unless you literally hear the fans stop.

For what it's worth (anecdotal evidence inc), I have no air conditioning and so am regularly playing LoL in a room that goes between 70˚ and 85˚ throughout the day. The fans in my rMBP are rarely audible while playing League, even on Howling Abyss with everything maxed. They never get close to that psycho speed where you wonder if your computer's going to die.

I'd recommend taking it to a different person at a different time of day or, location permitting, a different store altogether. Enabling Optimus is not supposed to crash your computer.

Brentmeister 06-28-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolbe Jack (Hozzászólás 39221628)
I was finally able to take it into the Apple store yesterday. My Genius ran a troubleshoot and everything cleared. The only thing he could suggest was to turn "Automatic graphics switching" off and come back if it happened again.

I did that and started a custom in Summoner's Rift with one friend. Everything ran smooth and minions actually spawned! I tabbed out to open my temperature monitor and it spiked, the fans started up, but instead it started cooling down instead of crashing. Out of curiosity I turned Automatic graphics switching back on. I don't think it was even a minute before it crashed.

I turned my Mac back on, opened League, opened Skype, kept the temp monitor open... I played a co-op in Twisted Treeline and was able to play fully through.

So...there's the issue for anyone who might have been experiencing the same problems, I believe. For extra measure, I'm shifting around my desk so I can prop the MBP up and allow it to get more air.

Thank you all for your feedback. It is much appreciated. I'll update as necessary!

Interesting thread. Thank you for coming back with this information
Did you use something like GfxCardStatus to disable the graphics switching?

I can't think of anything League specific that would cause your macbook to crash.

Mirror 06-28-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister (Hozzászólás 39229715)
Interesting thread. Thank you for coming back with this information
Did you use something like GfxCardStatus to disable the graphics switching?

It's a setting under Energy Saver:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7825/yio5.png