League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   @riot: how hard should a carry carry? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=34285)

Drggg 12-09-2009 03:56 PM

@riot: how hard should a carry carry?

I believe earlier in the beta there were posts by riot stating that you did not wish to move in the direction of DOTA as far as carries go. You wanted to move away from "super carries"

Often when there is a discussion of what is overpowered it revolves around carries and how they can abuse certain aspects of the game to fuller extent then others creating imbalance. Often the answer of top players is don't let that character farm x amount of gold or you deserve to lose.

At this point I ponder at what point does riot find it acceptable for a physical carry to outstrip others drastically in health. Lets say killing 2 players when running into a 3v1 as a point of reference.

This is not a thread to address any one specific issue. My simple question is how hard do you intend for a carry to carry.

IS138d309a4fea569e777b5 12-09-2009 03:56 PM

Carries don't carry, their team carries them so they can last long enough to do damage.

There's no carries in LoL, just DPS.

Alright, there's Trynd. But still.

ZGBudai 12-09-2009 03:58 PM

1) "Don't let that character farm x amount of gold or you deserve to lose"
2) Get some armor
3) Use the SUMMONER spell Exhaust
4) CC is your best friend
5) It's a carry? They are supposed to be uber strong in the late-game.

Drggg 12-09-2009 03:58 PM

We still commonly use the term. Corki, ashe, trynd, CM. It is a widely held view that these characters SHOULD carry in the upper tiers. I want to know to what extent riot feels this is right or wrong.

Drggg 12-09-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZGBudai (Hozzászólás 380800)
1) "Don't let that character farm x amount of gold or you deserve to lose"
2) Get some armor
3) Use the SUMMONER spell Exhaust
4) CC is your best friend
5) It's a carry? They are supposed to be uber strong in the late-game.

My question is specifically whether they SHOULD carry as earlier riot stated that they wanted to move away from super carries

ZGBudai 12-09-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drggg (Hozzászólás 380808)
My question is specifically whether they SHOULD carry as earlier riot stated that they wanted to move away from super carries

Hmm... I guess I kind of understand, it's not so much that they are super carries, It's just that they are gankers that adopted a style of mass farming -> super ganker w/ survivability.

Corki / Yi / TF can all play well in the mid ganking phase, they just choose to farm for the majority of the period.

You can't STOP carries from existing or not that would take out a whole aspect of the game.

AtIanta 12-09-2009 04:01 PM

CM hardly "carries" so much as "picks people off with destiny gate goldcard and otherwise spams more goldcards and wildcards, and backs up until he can do it again. repeatedly."

Palette Town 12-09-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZGBudai (Hozzászólás 380817)
Hmm... I guess I kind of understand, it's not so much that they are super carries, It's just that they are gankers that adopted a style of mass farming -> super ganker w/ survivability.

Corki / Yi / TF can all play well in the mid ganking phase, they just choose to farm for the majority of the period.

You can't STOP carries from existing or not that would take out a whole aspect of the game.

you could actually make it so that ap characters did actual damage late game rather than just be there for stuns.

it's ridiculous how all it takes to stop anivia's ult dead in its tracks is 100 or so mr.

the current deathfire grasp is awful and seeing how carries can stack hp like nobody's business, it would be really nice to have a madred's equivalent for casters. who gives a **** about veigar doing 1000 damage when carries are up to 3k? carries become really strong starting midgame (even if you prevent them from ganking) and by late game, whether your win or lose depends almost entirely on:
1. how many carries your team has
2. what the carries are (eg. trynd + yi)

Drggg 12-09-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZGBudai (Hozzászólás 380817)

I don't really think carries are a good aspect of the game though.

Simply when we traditionally think of a carry they deal some obscene amount of damage. This is an element that i am fine with. I am just of the belief that there must be some downside; aside from wait until late game for a character to bloom.

basically i'm fine with damage dealers, even insane damage dealers. But i think all characters should have a downside beyond a requirement of X gold to be useful.

AtIanta 12-09-2009 04:06 PM

There is plenty of downside to being Yi or Trynd against a team comp with multiple CC's or blind. Oh wait... cleanse.