League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What you guys feel about Rapidstar's interview! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3205955)

sasinares 03-08-2013 11:33 PM

What you guys feel about Rapidstar's interview!

Hello guys, my English isn't so perfect, but I wanted to ask some questions about how you guys would feel about some of the words that the korean translator guy were saying during the interview with rapidstar.

If you guys can watch this video
http://www.twitch.tv/esltv_lolb/b/375115941
Start at 2:23:40 ish... and rapid star will be on an interview answering questions.

Rapidstar is actually answering question about how he thinks about their next opponent, Gambit. Then the translator says, 'Gambit is one of the best teams in Europe, if not the best.' Alex itch is one of the reasons and so on... saying something good about Alex.

After listening to the whole interview, what were guys feeling about this statement, 'Gambit is one of the best teams in Europe, if not the best.'

Is it
A) Gambit is one of the best teams in Europe, perhaps they may very well be the 'absolute' best in Europe. (Respecting the fact that Gambit is 'indeed' the best/ Positive nuances all the way through.)
Or,
B) Gambit is certainly one of the best teams in Europe, though they may not be 'the' absolute best team in Europe. (Acknowledging the fact that Gambit is one of the best teams, but not 'the' best. Saying it with a bit of sarcasm/taunting nuance towards Gambit.) Something that would make you guys think, "oh Rapidstar is trying to make a statement out of this!"

I guess in essence, which one would you choose and why? A) vs. B). If neither of them are right, then please let us know what the right nuances were and how did you 'feel' about that interview. Not trying to learn English here. We were just wondering if the korean translator made a mistake because rapidstar was respecting Gambit gaming the whole way without any intentions to show sarcasm/negative/ or taunting jesture. Please let me know guys thanks in advance!

Boku Girl 03-08-2013 11:40 PM

I think EG is better but that's very biased.

sasinares 03-08-2013 11:41 PM

Umm... please read my thread the whole way... its not about one team being better or not. I am just asking if the translations were done right.

ricklessabandon 03-08-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasinares (Hozzászólás 35413161)
After listening to the whole interview, what were guys feeling about this statement, 'Gambit is one of the best teams in Europe, if not the best.'

the statement was delivered such that i took it to mean:
'they might be the #1 team in europe, but if they aren't #1 then they are definitely among the best teams in europe.'
so, it was respectful.

if you wanted a sentence that meant 'option b' from your choices, you would need to remove the word 'if' in the last part (that is, 'gambit is one of the best teams in europe, not the best').

PeaceKeeper18 03-08-2013 11:50 PM

I listened to it and thought he was fair

IplayforfunFU 03-08-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neon Strike Vi (Hozzászólás 35413243)
I think EG is better but that's very biased.

Their strategy is so outdated they are being beat by everyone, they were already showing signs of old age at the end of season 2 but by season 3 either they keep up with times or they are plummeting to the bottom.

sasinares 03-08-2013 11:54 PM

Lol hijacking the thread.... Please atleast answer my question... please... lolz..

JunkRamen 03-09-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasinares (Hozzászólás 35413453)
Lol hijacking the thread.... Please atleast answer my question... please... lolz..

Most English speakers would agree with rickless. What the translator said was a common phrase in English that usually means "most likely the best, but if not, then among the best."

Teemo Support GG 03-09-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasinares (Hozzászólás 35413453)

You had Riot employee answer, what more you want?

YoshioPeePee 03-09-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JunkRamen (Hozzászólás 35413574)
Most English speakers would agree with rickless. What the translator said was a common phrase in English that usually means "most likely the best, but if not, then among the best."

yeah pretty much this