League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Magewick, The Lost Practice (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3165537)

Lexinus 02-25-2013 10:58 AM

Magewick, The Lost Practice

Before you hate on my strategy, please, take time to read the whole thing. If you have never tried this or never played against an AP Warwick, then don't hate. You don't know the potential.

Passive:Eternal Thirst
- Each of Warwick's attacks will heal him. Each successive attack against the same target will restore increasing amounts of health to Warwick.

Q:Hungering Strike
- Takes a bite out of enemy unit and heals Warwick.
Strikes an enemy for the greater value between 75/125/175/225/275 (+1) and 8/10/12/14/16% (+1) of the target's maximum Health as magic damage (can only do flat damage to monsters), and heals Warwick for 80% of the damage dealt.

W:Hunters Call
- Warwick lets out a howl, increasing all nearby friendly champions' Attack Speed for a short time.
Warwick lets out a howl that inspires all nearby allied champions, increasing Warwick's Attack Speed by 40/50/60/70/80% and all nearby friendly champions' Attack Speed by half of that for 10 seconds.

E:Blood Scent
- Warwick passively senses weakened enemy champions around him. The scent of blood sends him into a fury, causing him to move at incredible speeds.
Toggle: Warwick senses enemy champions under 50% Health within 1500/2300/3100/3900/4700 distance of him; while he detects a low-health enemy, he gains 20/25/30/35/40% Movement Speed.

R:Infinite Duress
- Warwick lunges at an enemy champion, suppressing his target and dealing magic damage for a few seconds.
Warwick lunges at an enemy champion and supresses them for 1.8 seconds. During this time, Warwick attacks his victim 5 times, dealing a total of 250/335/420 (+2.0) magic damage (triggers on-hit effects 5 times).

Warwick gains 30% Life Steal for the duration.

The runes I use:
-Magic pen reds
-Scaling health yellows
-Scaling AP blues
-AP Quints

The Items I get:
Doran's ring. Warwick can get pretty dry on mana if he is using his Q to poke. The mana regen and the mana restored on minion kill is really nice.

Next time I go b, I either pick up another Doran's Ring, and the Sorcerer's Shoesor you could just go straight for the Rod of Ages depending on how much gold you have.

A Spirit Visage really helps with cooldowns and gives you a lot more healing from your Q and heck, even just from basic attacks.

Next I get Rylai's Crystal Scepter which really helps with chase and general tankyness.

Now, we all know that Rylai's gets ronery and needs a Liandry's Torment the burn damage coupled with the slow is always fun. The health also makes for some interesting dive opportunities.

At this point, you should have no Doran's Rings and your build should look something like
Sorcerer's shoes
Rod of Ages
Spirit Visage
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Liandry's Torment

Now, there are a few options here. You could go Tanky Magewick and get the Zhonya's Hourglass or you could aim towards more of a Straight Magewick and get the Rabadon's Deathcap or if you have another personal preference such as Deathfire Grasp or Void Staff, those are all viable. Go for whatever looks best.

Tactics and Strategies

Normally, I call solo top. Warwick is really good at out-sustaining other champs in health, but he really lacks mana sustain. This is why I start a Doran's Ring. If I have my tower pushed early game and the enemy went b or is playing cautious, I will go b and get another Doran's Ring, basic boots(if money permits) and a sight ward.

Early game, AP Warwick doesn't have the tankyness to escape with ease from a 2v1 gank, so I pick up a sight ward EVERY time I go B while I'm in the laning phase.

Let's talk about Warwick's Q. This ability, Hungering Strike, scales very well with Ability Power. When this ability is maxed out, it does the greater value of 16% of the target's maximum health(+1.0 AP ratio) or 275(+1.0 AP ratio). Those are pretty good stats right there. I usually have 420 AP mid game. Let's say I'm fighting an Amumu with 3,000 HP. My hungering Strike Deals 480 damage(Which is 16% of 3,000)(+ 420 AP) That's 900 damage. The lesser value of 900 would be 695 damage which is 275(+ 420 AP). That's still decent damage.

So Tactics. Let's assume at this point in the game the enemy's outer mid tower is gone.

We are pushing and AP Warwick has already poked someone to 60% health. There are 2 enemies under the tower and there are two teammates with you pushing the minions.

A minion wave of yours is now taking damage from the tower. Their carry, we'll call him Varus, is just in front of the tower. My tactic is to run in, Q him, and then run away. This move almost always gives you your movement speed buff and you come out of the engagement with near full health.

Another tactic is to bruise someone like that under their tower, then loop around by wraiths (Assuming your team's base is on the bottom of the map and you are at their inner mid turret) And Ult them and then Q. At this point, you have a kill and the movement speed buff just wears off as you run quickly out of the range of the tower.

You can now grant your team bonus attack speed to take down the turret. A solid objective take with lots of extra gold from your kill and the tower takedown.

I try to never be the face tank or the first engager, but I'm always close by when it looks like something might go down. If I'm close enough, I will get massive movement speed to quickly join the fight. I chase down people trying to run away by themselves. I get the kill and then join the rest of the fight. These engagements almost always turn out as a total enemy team wipe with maybe one of us dead. No one can run away and safely go B in their jungle because I will be right on top of them and give them a good ol' hungering strike to the face and kill them.

More to come with Fight or Flight.

Sephïroth 02-25-2013 11:30 AM

I'm confused.

Warwicks Q does 18% Of their life OR 1 AP Ratio. I understand what you're going for, but you do a lot more damage just building attack speed/tanky. The only items I could see being beneficial are Sorc boots and Liandries Tormet for the Magic Pen.

Warrrrax 02-25-2013 12:32 PM

Dude, Dorans ring is perfectly legit, but continuing to pile on AP is just dumb. As stated, 18% of a 2k foe = 360 dmg, which means your first what... 100AP or so is worthless. Vs 3k foe thats 540 damage, meaning your first 250ish AP is useless?

Lexinus 02-25-2013 03:32 PM

Yesterday, I played against a tanky AP Amumu 1v1 using this very guide. He had around 3k hp. I actually built the Deathfire Grasp at the end, used its active ability, ulted, ignited, then used the Q and left him with like 600 hp. I then proceeded to chase him down and Q. Due to the Spirit Visage and Deathfire Grasp, I had really short cooldowns on Q and it dealt awesome damage.

Yes, the Q does 18% of their life, but it's not 18% OR Ap, It's 18%(+AP) Or Damage(+AP).

Plus, the sustain is incredible from the Q. The health given back scales with AP as well, so the only person who can out sustain AP Warwick is AP Tryndamere.

This guide isn't focused on tanky. It's focused on poke sustain and utility ultimates. Magewick is placed in the same category as AP Yi. He is like a custodian. Anyone with low health immediately gives him a massive movement speed buff to chase and fly in with a Q to finish them off. AP Magewick really excels at taking out mid game carries and other mages.

Floggle 02-25-2013 03:45 PM

What elo are you playing at?

Lexinus 02-25-2013 04:24 PM

I am playing against semi nubcake people, but the amumu friend was a very skilled player in general. Mainly, this guide is a fun and interesting way to play Warwick. I would not suggest this in High ELO, because smart players will counter it easily.

Lexinus 02-25-2013 04:25 PM

With a few items I was doing the greater value of 275(+275 AP) or 16% maximum health(+ 275 AP)

ZOMGTURTLE 02-25-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrrrax (Hozzászólás 35032623)
Dude, Dorans ring is perfectly legit, but continuing to pile on AP is just dumb. As stated, 18% of a 2k foe = 360 dmg, which means your first what... 100AP or so is worthless. Vs 3k foe thats 540 damage, meaning your first 250ish AP is useless?

I swear remembering this being how it worked when I played WW a lot some time back, but Lexinus is right. Currently Q chooses the higher value of 16% (+AP) or 275 (+AP). All of that extra AP does not go to waste. And it heals 80% of the damage done, scaling his health return off of the AP.

Lexinus 02-25-2013 06:56 PM

Yeah. People just assume that I'm trolling so they downvote my post. This isn't trolling. Just because it's not your play style doesn't mean that you should just downvote my post. I really don't care, but AP Warwick is viable. I can out-sustain Katarinas and other conventional AP mid champs. Due to this, I just harass and last hit until they need to go b and then I take my turret. Then I roam and help gank.

The combo I do is Ult>Ignite>Q>Chase>Q and they die.

SeCKS Egai 02-26-2013 03:38 AM

I haven't seen a magewick in years.... then again, I hardly see ww at all these days.