League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What people DON'T understand about game modes. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3162075)

Arientus 02-24-2013 10:58 AM

What people DON'T understand about game modes.

Too many games have I had been playing normal and have a bad game, than have my team turn around and say "YOU'RE TRASH GET OFF LEAGUE" Every five minutes. I'm here to clarify what each of the game modes are.

Draft

This game mode is PRACTICE for RANKED. Draft prepares you for what lies ahead and allows you to get used to a similar type of gamemode for your team and use the bans to your strategic advantage.

Yes. There is a solo queue button, generally it is used by someone just looking for a fun time, trying to practice something or just doesn't have his/her team.

Every one of us have our bad games. If players "suck" here it's typically because they are trying a new strategy, having a bad game, or just trying to practice to get rid of that suckish outcome. Now instead of insulting them and calling them out, give them advice and try to help them out rather than talking in all caps and disturbing the rest of the team.

So generally if people are here, they are here for a REASON. This does NOT give them an excuse to act like Idiots or troll, There is a fine line between having a bad game and acting like an idiot. But even if you do have a troll on your team or something, just remember these wins don't mean anything.

People should not have to make smurf accounts to try something new or relieve stress to play this game mode.

Blind

This game mode is what you would call a "normal" game. Get in, pick your characters, and you play. Nothing fancy to it. Except that you don't see the enemy champions so that they don't influence your pick. Teamwork may or may not be required here, but this is typically your "Normal" game for your average set of levels.

Co-op vs Ai

I've heard too many people say "Co-op vs Ai is where you go practice everything, go there and quit being a noob." Co-op vs Ai is NOT the game mode to do that. The Ai are nowhere near the skill level of actual players, hence they don't even have a jungler. This game mode is typically for the lower level new player who hasn't gotten the hang of the game yet, and thinks it's too hard for them to go up against real players. Which is respectable. Usually the only other option is you need to get the hang of your ability set if you are playing a new champ, then head to draft.

This is NOT the game mode to practice in like that.

Ranked

This is the game mode where things are taken seriously. A loss in points can chronically injure a serious gamers points when trying to rise through the ranks. The wins DO matter here, so don't come here looking for a practice game. Unless you are at the very top of the ranking system.

If you find a troll, there is nothing you can do about it, other than NOT feed him (no pun intended) and report him at the end of the match, there is nothing else you can do. If he starts verbally abusing you in chat, ignore him, or mute him, and move on. As depressing as it is to lose those points (90% of the time) remember they WILL come back.

This is why so many people complain about ELO hell or noobish teammates to move up the ladder. It's because there are people looking for practice matches, and trolls, which really there is nothing we can do about.

DON'T come here if you are looking for a loose-back easy game.

TLDR; People misunderstand the game mode system

Hebiki 02-24-2013 11:00 AM

I COMPLETELY agree, there is a misconception about this all the time.

eMkcuF 02-24-2013 02:07 PM

Thank you for this post. This should be required reading.

Arientus 02-24-2013 02:39 PM

I just wish EVERYONE in the community knew this.

AJStarhiker 02-24-2013 03:21 PM

Thank you! I don't know how many times I or a teammate is playing an unfamiliar role in blind pick or draft and another player yells at them to go play bots. (I especially see this when I want practice in the jungle).

My usual response is along the lines of "How can I/other player get better if I/he doesn't play with real people?"

Arientus 02-24-2013 05:54 PM

bump

Kush Is Dubstep 02-24-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJStarhiker (Hozzászólás 35003460)
Thank you! I don't know how many times I or a teammate is playing an unfamiliar role in blind pick or draft and another player yells at them to go play bots. (I especially see this when I want practice in the jungle).

My usual response is along the lines of "How can I/other player get better if I/he doesn't play with real people?"

Yeah that is true but new champs are hard to configure to especially when jungling if you don't already know them well, so if you are truly doing bad when jungling i would consider playing bots since there are still people who haven't reached lvl 30 that just want to have a good game

AJStarhiker 02-24-2013 08:11 PM

When I said 'unfamiliar' I didn't specifically mean 'first time' with a champion or role. It might be someone who has played a bot game or two to learn the abilities and get a feel for it, 'first time' with seasonal changes, or it's been awhile since they played a champion and nerfs/buffs have altered what it's capable of doing.

BTW: By level 30, very few bot games reach anywhere near a late-game build. They are very casual "Meta? What meta?" but unless you are with a group of friends who all agree to drag the game out, you rarely see much more that a starting build with a couple finished items.

Ice Battle Mage 02-24-2013 08:19 PM

I mostly agree however i must say you really should go to bots if you are trying something entirely new, such as a champion or jungle route. It only takes 20 minutes to do a bot game most of the time, and playing a champ for a first time is always slow at the start while you are unfamiliar with their kit. Same thing with trying the jungle with a new type of champ (such as if you have never tried a tank jungler before).

New builds or whatever normal games would be far better to try out on the other hand, you are familiar with the way everything works, you just want to see which bits work best together

EpicSlaughter2 02-24-2013 09:00 PM

I couldn't of said it better myself