League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   CHAMPIONS: What they represent, and who they are primarily for? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3111489)

Lexperiments 02-10-2013 04:12 PM

CHAMPIONS: What they represent, and who they are primarily for?

We all know about Katarina, Garen, and Teemo- we all know about Caitlyn and Viktor, along with many others. We know their alliances, and we know who would use them. But, for most champions, who would they side with?

For example, Cho'Gath. He's a creature of the void, and.. uhm.. yeah. Who the hell wants to use a creature of the void? Are there Void cultists in the League? Do people want to foreshadow their own destruction?

And what about Rumble? Who the hell wants to use someone who rebels against ALL OF THE PEOPLES? ALL OF THEM? He hates humans, and he hates Bandle City. Who in the world would use him?

Let's just go through the Champions. Look at the controversial ones- who do YOU think would use them?

Vigred 02-12-2013 01:02 PM

I don't know about void cultists but I can think of two reasons Summoners would use him.
To study his abilities and to test out particular weapons and magic on him. The other reason would be to keep Cho entertained.

Montesque64 02-12-2013 01:14 PM

The way I see it, a champion has a kind of "contract" (written or otherwise) wherein he or she is assured they won't be forced to support a cause counter to their interests. Swain, for instance, would never be forced to fight to support a Demacian claim against Noxus.

Whether or not he would be called up for the Demacian side in a matter not related to Noxus' interests would be an interesting question, and I could see that one going either way.

However, champions like Cho or Rumble have no strong ties to any organization or cause other than their own, and so would be open and liable to be used for any dispute. So it wouldn't be a matter of who "would" use them, so much as if the Summoner feels like they're the best being for the job, then they will select them regardless of the cause they'll be championing.

Also, I'd imagine that, as we are the summoners, each of us feels more comfortable with certain champions, and so might select them more often, regardless of their affiliation.

Thraon 02-14-2013 03:14 AM

I think if we are the summoners and we have the control of them... If something goes wrong he can "Self Destruct" them I suppose. Sounds cruel but imagine that Kha Zix kills Rengar, says "Wiiii I'm deh king of the predators good bye." And goes off because he got what he wants? And kills all the summoners because he is on a low-fat diet?

Good question post owner. I never thought of it before... Also what about Rumble yeah, if he is full of hatred how do you communicate with him?

Thraon 02-14-2013 03:16 AM

Also, I think that each champion joins the league for different reasons.
Gare for Demacia.
Swain to kill Demacia
Darius to Unite Noxus
Jarvan IV like Garen.
Um... KogMaw to eat.
Cho Gath to Nom
Fiddlesticks to Caw.
And so on... The league has its purpouses but the champions have theirs imo

Helmight 02-15-2013 05:22 PM

You're missing the point. Champions are basically just tools in the hands of Summoners - they may nominally have a stance on certain subjects, but they aren't the ones that decide whether or not to fight for it. The Summoners are the real ones settling the disputes and they will choose whatever champions that they think will let them win the battle, whether they select a ravenous Void beast, an undead sorceror, or even a champion who's associated with a rival city-state.

Therazan 02-15-2013 06:51 PM

Well, I'm someone who's pretty much into roleplaying, so I can kinda imagine myself as a summoner when I play League of Legend. Your Cho'Gath example is pretty interesting for me because, with that in mind, i still play Cho' as one of my main champions? I wanted a fierce Champion to represent me as a Summoner on the battlefield, saw the Terror of the Void, and tried him out. Then as of why the Summoner kept using him, there could be several reasons; some stated above, or plenty others. Maybe I want to expel some frustration by controling a monster of claw and fangs who eats people whole? Or maybe his abilities just fit well with the way I play? Unless I just feel like being sadistic without having any real consequence? After all, we're encouraged to use whichever champ we want and kill people with it.

But who is my Summoner? He could be a Demacian, who uses Cho' to let off some steam. Then in my next game I might want to be a Noxian Summoner who uses Galio for whatever reason he sees fit. Unless all summoners are actually a neutral party, who's being told which side their team represent right before the game (if they are told at all)? Then every summoner pick the Champion he likes personnaly, wether it is Sona, Javran or Kha'Zix.

Levik 02-19-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmight (Hozzászólás 34707444)
You're missing the point. Champions are basically just tools in the hands of Summoners - they may nominally have a stance on certain subjects, but they aren't the ones that decide whether or not to fight for it. The Summoners are the real ones settling the disputes and they will choose whatever champions that they think will let them win the battle, whether they select a ravenous Void beast, an undead sorceror, or even a champion who's associated with a rival city-state.

Summoners are impartial. I am sure some of them have minor allegiances, but the League does not get involved in the affairs of the city-states. They only settle disputes. If summoners once again pledged loyalty to city-states then the Rune Wars would begin again. Summoners are very powerful. This was stated by the High Councilor herself when conducting Swain's Judgement.

Champions have agendas, summoners keep the peace, city-states pick summoners who win (I assume).

OriginalA 02-19-2013 06:01 PM

Check Vayne's Judgement and read the JoJ, Levik. Summoners do have allegiances, and some pretty large ones at that considered they are implied to have assassinated Noxus's previous ruler just for the Nexuses in the Dominion map.

They are supposed to be impartial, but they quite clearly are not above manipulating political situations and setting up the city/states to take the fall.

Levik 02-19-2013 07:12 PM

Thank you for that, I am afraid that I am not as informed about the lore as I would like. It does seem that summoners may have allegiances however impartial they are supposed to be (does it actually state that in the lore? I am questioning that now). However, I believe the the Institute of War was justified in taking that Nexus - it had the power to ignite a Rune War and that is why the Institute exists, but the means in which they obtained it do not seem as justified. I will have to look deeper into the lore.

I welcome any and all correction so thank you again for that.