League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   can my land lord evict me for being unemployed? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3102369)

Pius Leviticus 02-08-2013 03:29 PM

can my land lord evict me for being unemployed?

I was laid off from my job about a year ago, and have been unable to find another. I can still pay rent though, in fact i can pay rent for almost another year. I am quiet, i keep to myself, i do not party, or drink, or smoke, or do drugs. i am not in any relationship, i do not have pets, i pay my weekly rent on time. but because i do not have a job, he wants to evict me. this is in north carolina.

his exact words were "If you don't have a job by the 16th, then find a new place to live."

this was almost a month ago. i still can't find another job and currantly am looking for a new place to rent out, although i don't want to move

Colonel J 02-08-2013 03:29 PM

I'm pretty sure she can't as long as you pay. Did you sign some kind of contract?

Why does she know you're unemployed?

lukertin 02-08-2013 03:32 PM

No, she can't evict you for being unemployed.

Pius Leviticus 02-08-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel J (Hozzászólás 34439944)
I'm pretty sure she can't as long as you pay. Did you sign some kind of contract?

Why does she know you're unemployed?

it is a long story. basically, i was renting another place, but a close friend of my family (whom i consider my aunt) told me that she has been paying for her dad's food for a long time, and that it is straining her budget. She asked me to rent a room out from him to both: help her out financially, and to watch after her dad. Her dad is a 22 year Navy vet with post traumatic stress and early dementia. our agreement is verbal, so there is no proof of it at all. In addidtion to being stressed about finding a new place to live, i also have to deal with having the same conversations over and over, him randomly using childish words (like din-din, binkey, and wa-wa) and him having the occasional tantrum. he will sometimes flip out over the smallests of problems, yell, stomp around, and go into his room and slam the door behind him. A while later he will just walk out laughing as if nothing happened. <I do not mean that figurativly, he litterally walks out laughing. I have watched after him paying weekly rent for two years now, so i am basically at home here.

is there some kind of law that i have overlooked about being unemployed and being evicted?

lukertin 02-08-2013 03:39 PM

Wait your landlord is your aunt? Your set up is a whole 'nother ballgame

Pius Leviticus 02-08-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukertin (Hozzászólás 34440362)
Wait your landlord is your aunt?

no, her dad. and again, she isnt my aunt, we arn't even related. i just consider her to be my aunt because she is a close friend of my family. she was with my mom when i was born

lukertin 02-08-2013 03:43 PM

So you have a week-by-week lease...which isn't in writing (all valid leases must be in writing, otherwise it is not enforceable) with a family friend...for an unspecified amount of time?

Oh man you and your landlord have gotten yourselves into a pickle.

Pius Leviticus 02-08-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukertin (Hozzászólás 34440483)
So you have a week-by-week lease...which isn't in writing (all valid leases must be in writing, otherwise it is not enforceable) with a family friend...for an unspecified amount of time?

Oh man you and your landlord have gotten yourselves into a pickle.

i now realise this. what should i do? try and make him see that because i can still pay rent, there is no point in evicting me? or should i just find another place to stay?

lukertin 02-08-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pius Leviticus (Hozzászólás 34440568)
i now realise this. what should i do? try and make him see that because i can still pay rent, there is no point in evicting me? or should i just find another place to stay?

nuh uhuh, that's asking for legal advice, which cannot be provided to you without committing malpractice and/or pretending to be a lawyer licensed to practice law in North Carolina.

Give your landlord a link to eviction procedure in NC. One glance at it and he will give up

here is the standardized complaint form: http://www.nccourts.org/forms/documents/348.pdf

as you can see he won't even be able to fill it out.

Postal Twinkie 02-08-2013 03:47 PM

He can't evict you for not having a job.

As long as you can show that you have paid rent, the most he could do is try to have you forcibly removed through the courts. This process would end the moment you showed proof that you have always paid your rent. This is nearly universal, but check your local and state codes to verify it, or call Legal Aid for assistance.