League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   @IronStylus and the Quinn Team (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3102104)

Solari Brigadier 02-08-2013 02:29 PM

@IronStylus and the Quinn Team

So Quinn's journal is presumably "closed" now, and it's been a great journey but the ending left me a little sour.

Quinn was an amazing opportunity to represent a side of Demacia that we've never been able to experience before - the lower class. All of the champions we've seen so far were either born into or have become the 1% of society, so all we knew of that entire region of Runeterra was its pomp and grandeur, its elegance and its class. We've seen it in Garen, Jarvan IV, Lux, Shyvana, Sona, Xin Zhao, Vayne... we know what that side of Demacia looks like.

But that's all we know.

Quinn began as a peasant, a naturalist living either in the slums of Demacia or outside the city entirely. Her story was ripe with opportunity to expand upon an entire lifestyle we know nothing about - the lower class and their culture, customs, dress. Quinn was a modest girl with aspirations of honor and grandeur, and she succeeded. It's an amazing feel-good story, poor girl in a utopian society that seems to have a distinct cut-off in class - the elite we know everything about, and the peasants who aren't worth mentioning unless they become the elite.

I'm disappointed that now we'll be treated to another high-class soldier in the Demacian tradition, in gleaming new armor and the expected customs and behavior of the highest class of citizen. As refreshing or different as Quinn will end up being, I can't get over the nagging feeling that she could have, probably should have been so much more.

I really don't know how to conclude this. I'm not presumptuous enough to demand a champion in the vein of what I've been hoping for, and I can't say I think Quinn's character is bad because she is now part of the Demacian elite. But I do think she certainly lost something with her promotion. I think the state of League of Legends lore could have been vastly improved by introducing this entire new class of people - the lower class - but now there's no opportunity until we get our hands on another champion down the pipeline.

That is, unless someone writes some Quinn fanfiction from before her feel-good story. Which I plan to do.

RiotRunaan 02-08-2013 03:53 PM

She may have been made a part of Demacia's elite, but does a common girl really belong there? Will she really find her place among those more or less born in golden armor, sword in hand?

As the journal hints, there are many who don't trust or believe in her. Jarvan IV's "enabling" of Quinn was a controversial decision. Even though she's been "promoted," the upper class--those who have been born into the elite--won't necessarily greet her with open arms.

Also, as a small detail we didn't cover in the journal, her parents are alive and she still has connections to the common folk of Demacia. She hasn't at all severed ties.

Don't be misled--the first part may be over, but this isn't going to be an easy journey for Quinn and Valor.

ShadyElf 02-08-2013 03:58 PM

Kind of like Stannis and the Onion Knight

53papers 02-08-2013 04:03 PM

So in a way, a bit like Vi.

Solari Brigadier 02-08-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotRunaan (Hozzászólás 34440967)
She may have been made a part of Demacia's elite, but does a common girl really belong there? Will she really find her place among those more or less born in golden armor, sword in hand?

As the journal hints, there are many who don't trust or believe in her. Jarvan IV's "enabling" of Quinn was a controversial decision. Even though she's been "promoted," the upper class--those who have been born into the elite--won't necessarily greet her with open arms.

Also, as a small detail we didn't cover in the journal, her parents are alive and she still has connections to the common folk of Demacia. She hasn't at all severed ties.

Don't be misled--the first part may be over, but this isn't going to be an easy journey for Quinn and Valor.

I realize that she won't be a "true" member of the elite society (all I can think of is Sunflash and Skarlath trying to become Abbot of Redwall), but I still think she loses a lot of character by making her a part of it - even one that isn't fully compatible.

On the Fields of Justice, because of her status Quinn won't be wearing the armor or outfit she wore before she tracked down the assassin; because of her status she won't be saying the same things she might have before she became an elite; because of her status she won't be treated the same as she would have before she tracked down the assassin.

Her culture and customs and lifestyle outside of the Fields are no longer going to be those of a member of the lower class. The way Demacia seems to be set-up, she won't be able to ever act like a lower-class citizen again, nor will she be treated like one. She won't be able to interact with the lower class without being given the respect her new position requires.

You haven't changed who Quinn is on the inside, but you've thrown away the opportunity to really investigate the lower class of Demacia with this champion because she's no longer part of it. Any kind of look into the lower class of Demacia through Quinn is now distorted by her elite status - corrupted would be a good word for it. The same way that viewing Hobbit society through the eyes of Gandalf is inherently tainted because he's simply not one of them, viewing the 99% of Demacian society is tainted now as well.

Edit: I realize I probably seem angry, but I'm really just disappointed. Like I said, the 10 Demacian-centric champions are all already upper class. Their dress, their lore, their place in society is going to be similar. Unless Quinn "falls" from the upper echelon of society, any future lore and any canon armor/uniform/outfit styling is going to be that same upper class we've already seen 10 times before.

Vongeo 02-08-2013 04:58 PM

I hope they kill her before she gets to the league and she becomes a noxian zombie.

Solari Brigadier 02-08-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vongeo (Hozzászólás 34443274)
I hope they kill her before she gets to the league and she becomes a noxian zombie.

I think I'd cry if that happened. =C

Ecclesias 02-08-2013 05:37 PM

Personally I think that another interesting choice would be someone who represents the darkside of all that pomp, grandeur, elegance and class. Someone stuck in the old ways, a fiora in steroids, someone that comes across as despicable as LeBlanc or Cassiopeia when you play as them.

But yeah, i agree with the OP

Lykurgus 02-08-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Yay! Keep this up! It's awesome and I'm excited for more lore and Quinn and Valor themselves! She seems to have a great personality from the bits in the journal entries. Can't wait to see her come out on the pbe and then her eventual release! Instabuy.

Scottish Warrior 02-08-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Hey Runaan, SINGED BIO UPDATE WHERE