League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Irelia Transition into mid-game (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3068350)

WeXi 02-01-2013 06:48 AM

Irelia Transition into mid-game

Sup. I main Irelia from 1200-1400ish. Have played up to and beaten some 1700s in ranked 5s. I find that I have a difficult time (especially in solo queue) making the transition from lane phase to teamfights in mid-game (usually around 20 minutes). Unless I'm going against a hard-counter like Olaf/Jax/Darius, I typically out-CS my opponent by about 20 and usually are either a kill or two up on them from ganking mid around level 8-9 or scoring a kill in lane. I time buffs, dragon, baron, and ward both my lane and our jungle on my side.

Masteries:
0/21/9

Runes:
AS marks, armor seals, MR/level glyph

Skill order:
Q (for auto, q, auto combo at lvl 1), E (early ganks), W, W, W, R, W, E, W, E etc.

Build order depending on opponent:
Red potion + ward + health x 4 // 9 potion 2 ward // 4pot boots.

I've mostly been starting red pot recently because it makes you a nightmare early unless they are yorick/cloth armor starters.

1st back
Doran's Blade (maybe 2) + wards + potions

2nd/3rd/4th goals
Tabi, Dorans x 2, Giants belt. If I have more money either start building Wits or Zephyr.

Typically by midgame if I'm doing well I'll have the following: Tabi/Treads + Dorans + Dorans + Giants + Wits. I find that I can usually take any character 1v1 but since I'm not a true tank and I don't have the damage capability of an ADC (they typically have 2 damage items like bloodthirster + zeal or pickaxe by this point) I find that my role is kind of in question. In games where my team is doing well, it is fairly easy to be sticky and zerg out their ADC/APC. In games where my team is doing poorly, the other team will swallow me up as I zerg. When I engage, since I have no escape other than summoners, the enemy team will postpone fighting my team and focus me even if my team is actively engaging them. In theory, this should allow my team to kill someone while they focus my relatively tanky character but this never seems to happen.

I'm trying to develop a strategy that will more effectively allow me to take advantage of the 1v1 assassinating potential of Irelia but it seems that my "burst" is ultimately limited for a few reasons:
  1. Building AD is counterproductive since Irelia's True Damage scales off attack speed.
  2. Building AS leads to great damage over time but during the period in which I am applying that damage the other team focuses me (even over our ADC) not allowing me to apply that damage for enough time.
  3. Building Health/Armor is only effective to a point, during late game being non-squishy doesn't seem to help much against a blood boiled vayne/kogmaw or a fed APC with a peeler.

I understand that this sounds like I'm "rambo"ing into the enemy team but unless my team has a hard engage like Amumu / Malph, it seems like all teamfights are sloppy. I guess what I'm asking is how can I make the transition more smoothly into late game and how can I help my team be more successful?

Afince 02-01-2013 06:52 AM

Are you sure taking the 9 points in the utility tree would be better than 9 in offense?

WeXi 02-01-2013 06:53 AM

Addition to above:

I've watched some of the Wickd recorded gameplay as Irelia and I see that he built Cleaver/LW as his first two damage items. I don't understand that at all as the damage potential is much higher with less money using wit's end, 2 dorans, W activated and more money for survivability. I know that his initial damage output is higher in a W E Q aa aa aa combo but over 3-4 attacks my damage would out-perform his.

WeXi 02-01-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afince (Hozzászólás 34141768)
Are you sure taking the 9 points in the utility tree would be better than 9 in offense?

I find that I perform at relatively the same level with 9 in utility as I do in offense. My biggest problem in lane is whenever I am running low on mana. I take improved recall, 3 in mana regen, summoner's insight, mastermind (summoner CDs), and 1 in Vampirism for a little added sustain.

I can understand the argument for offense rather than utility but not having enough mana is often, literally, the death of me when I don't.

iAteUrRamen 02-01-2013 06:57 AM

I'm having the same problem. I feel like after s3 changes, irelia needs too much gold to really be effective. Just building a Trinity force doesn't make you as durable as you need to be, nor does it give you as mucg damage either. I've also tried building other items like zephyr, fromal, bloodthirstier, etc but its not the same

Ordo Irelius 02-01-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeXi (Hozzászólás 34141830)
Addition to above:

I've watched some of the Wickd recorded gameplay as Irelia and I see that he built Cleaver/LW as his first two damage items. I don't understand that at all as the damage potential is much higher with less money using wit's end, 2 dorans, W activated and more money for survivability. I know that his initial damage output is higher in a W E Q aa aa aa combo but over 3-4 attacks my damage would out-perform his.

Don't copy wickd for what he builds. His skill allows him to use those unconventional builds, like super snowball youmuu build in S1 and S2.

For most people, just stick with the traditional TF rush then health rush.

WeXi 02-01-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iAteUrRamen (Hozzászólás 34142032)
I'm having the same problem. I feel like after s3 changes, irelia needs too much gold to really be effective. Just building a Trinity force doesn't make you as durable as you need to be, nor does it give you as mucg damage either. I've also tried building other items like zephyr, fromal, bloodthirstier, etc but its not the same

I found that when I have full build ( Tabi/Treads, Zephyr, Guardian Angel, Spirit Visage, Wits, Triforce, Warmogs ), I'm generally unstoppable from taking down at least 1 squishy. It justs seems that my mid-game is either lacking due to playstyle (should I just peel at this point?) or itemization.

WeXi 02-01-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ordo Irelius (Hozzászólás 34142033)
Don't copy wickd for what he builds. His skill allows him to use those unconventional builds, like super snowball youmuu build in S1 and S2.

For most people, just stick with the traditional TF rush then health rush.

That being said, the game I watched of his he was against Olaf top and got murdered. Ended up like 2-6 or 2-7 and lost pretty badly in CS and the game.

WeXi 02-01-2013 07:25 AM

^up

Raivix 02-01-2013 07:29 AM

If you're getting murdered in teamfights, there's either two things going wrong. You're diving in at bad times/out of position, or it's a well established teamfight and you're falling victim to being melee. That being said, working on your positioning and timing is about the only thing that will help you in the first case, and building warmogs/randuins will cover you on the second base.