League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Learning an AP-Mid (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3061751)

CaIibern 01-30-2013 04:16 PM

Learning an AP-Mid

Hi guys! I'm a relatively new LoL player and so far, I've mostly been playing ADC's like Ezreal or Vayne. Now I can usually get away with playing them in duo-top as well, but I would really like to purchase a AP mid for those sticky situations where top and bot are both taken. So far, I've been going to Teemo as my mid, but I'm aware that this isn't really where he shines.

As such, I'm saving up some IP and I hope to buy a mid that will hopefully get me to 30 and beyond. I would really like a ranged champion with a lot of mobility, so I've been leaning towards Ahri. But 6300 IP is a lot of money and I would like some feedback before making my first major purchase.

tl;dr: I would like to learn a ranged AP mid that's really mobile. I'm leaning towards Ahri, but I'm pretty new and would like some feedback before spending 6300IP.

TehomCD 01-30-2013 04:24 PM

Kassadin, Evelynn, or Leblanc are all strong mids with very high mobility - Kass and Leblanc are 3150 IP, Eve is 1350. Orianna could be considered somewhat mobile as well due to her speed boost on her W and the fact she can cast all her spells while moving, but is tricky to play. She's 4800, I believe.

Fs Son0fSilas 01-30-2013 04:25 PM

Ahri would likely be the most mobile because of her ult. Fizz also has the ability to bounce around a bit. Kassadin's Ult is a blink (as apposed to Ahri's dash) and has a much further range than Ahri, it can drain your mana VERY fast though.

For people new to mid I always recommend Annie. Her Q is free when used to last hit minions,, and she gets a free stun every 4th spell cast. She is also a very strong ganker because of the stun and instant cast on her ult, or the single targeting of Q. She however has no escapes except for a possible well timed stun. So take that into consideration. High Burst, Good trading, Great ganks, very easy to learn. She is average in terms of overall stats, many others have higher damage, a few others are beafier, many others have better utility. However, her kit is forgiving to somebody learning APC.

CaIibern 01-30-2013 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far!

@Silas, I've actually tried Annie when she was free, but I found that her short range and lack of a dash/blink made it incredibly hard to survive if I had bad positioning.

Also, I don't think I can play Kass/Eve/Fizz in mid yet. Whenever I play a melee champion in mid, I always get heavily harrassed while trying to last hit, and in some situations, end up giving first blood. At the very least, I'm usually forced to recall constantly, and that really gives my opponents the opportunity to just snowball ahead.

Should I try Orianna though? I've been told that she's really hard to play well...

Fs Son0fSilas 01-30-2013 04:45 PM

^ she has a high skill cap and lategame you focus more on her insane utility. So, she can be a bit hard to master. She works best when you have a team to communicate with.

GoombaStompin 01-30-2013 04:53 PM

When going through the game its always great to try every free week champ you can get your hands on. Trust me, you'll want that ip for runes once you hit lvl 20.

Although Melee, Eve's Q is extremely spammable leading to very comfortable farming. Her Mobility and speed is very high.

Lux may be a nice choice for you, although she doesn't have a blink, her shield and amazing long range make it pretty simple to maintain good positioning.

HyunJunLee 01-30-2013 04:54 PM

A great AP mid would be Fizz. High mobility, one of the best gap closers and the ability to dodge ALL attacks.
When I first got him I didn't have any trouble with him at all.

4Degreez 01-30-2013 05:00 PM

Have you tried Twisted Fate, Kassadin and Kennen? I'm planning to buy them particularly Kassadin and Kennen. >_>

GoombaStompin 01-30-2013 05:02 PM

Also, Kennen and Vlad were recently reduced down to 4800 ip. They are both ranged, and each has an AMAZING escape. They are also both AOE champs and also come with the benefit of not using mana. =)

dehunter456 01-30-2013 05:49 PM

Some opinions on some champs you might want:

Ahri: You're leaning towards her. She's a very mobile and quick assassin who can dish out a lot of damage with skillshots. The only down falls I see to her is that missing your skill shots causes you to ultimately fail. Plus, if you're a spammer, then you'll be very very mana hungry.

Kassadin: This guys just fun to play. You can constantly jump over walls and troll the enemy team. You are an anti-caster so you can shred people like Ahri or Karthus. Plus, he snowballs so hard. If the enemy makes a few mistakes, then you'll dominate. Here is a list of downfalls below though:
- Levels 1-5 are hell
- Squishy early game
- Mana hungry so be sure to ask the jungler for blue
- Relies too much on the enemy making a mistake

Now I have never tried out Fizz, but I've heard that he's pretty fun. So I would ask someone else.
You can also play some bruisers mid such as Lee Sin, Vi, Wukong, etc so you might want to try some of those champs out!