League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   So, why is AD Thresh the only way? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3045697)

Kystys 01-25-2013 09:34 PM

So, why is AD Thresh the only way?

Everyone I run into on forums, in game, say to build him AD. I understand the concept of the Q passive and how much it stacks AD but it's just....Seemingly so damn annoying that everyone wants him to play this one way.

I play him support/tank, can stay in the fight a relatively long time (compared to my usual damage champ playstyle), and find that it's not Thresh that's usually bad as a support. I've found that people don't understand how to COORDINATE WITH the Thresh player to make him really shine.

Case in point, out of 12 games....maybe...3 players understood that I would throw the lantern to help get them out of trouble/help their position if they would click on it. The rest? Frustration and appall is the best words to describe how I feel about those people.

Sereg Anfaug 01-25-2013 09:37 PM

This will probably get better as more people get used to playing with and against him - he's still a very new champion, and very few people, especially at the more crowded elos near the middle and bottom, understand his kit yet.

Take me, for example - I was under the impression that his passive stacked AP, not AD.

Edit - From the post where Thresh's abilities were revealed:

Quote:

Damnation (Passive): When Thresh stalks the Fields of Justice, minions, monsters and opposing champions occasionally manifest their essence as souls after they die. Gather the souls of fallen foes to power up Thresh’s Armor and Ability Power. Thresh gains no Armor per level normally.
Unless this is incorrect, I don't understand why people would be building him AD...

Kystys 01-25-2013 09:43 PM

His skillset passive does that, but his Q also has a passive that scales with souls and AD, and most people will tell me to go that way to capitalize on it.

But it seems wasteful, since though his abilities scale with AP badly, it's still is what does the most damage with "The Box" and strengthens the shield gained from his lantern. While the Q passive is only best served every 8 seconds for the 200% damage increase.

X4N4T05 01-26-2013 05:38 AM

My friend got thresh right after the release and dominates with him. Your skillset will put you in some bad positions so you need to be able to live. He builds AP/DPS/Tank. Core is Sunfire, Abbyssal, and Wit's End. After that Malady is viable, or Rabadons if you want the damages.

Kystys 01-26-2013 04:59 PM

Thanks, that last bit of advice helped late game. If other team hadn't stolen baron we would've steamrolled them. Eh.

Honestly I'm surprised this didn't get discussed more than 4 posts.

Cinchspark 01-26-2013 05:12 PM

Doesn't Thresh have

Umezete 01-26-2013 05:22 PM

you can play him support I think the point is if you want to build damage going ad is going to get more damage than ap by a long shot on him.

He has enough cc to be an okay support though, he's almost strictly worse than blitz but that isn't saying too much as blitz is pretty dumb mechanically. His lantern is really strong for supporting though if people actually use it. Basically a free flash for your carry in sticky situations.

Kystys 01-26-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinchspark (Hozzászólás 33926789)
Doesn't Thresh have

....have what?

Kalm 01-27-2013 05:42 PM

ad thresh is not the only way, saying so is ignoring the overall abilites of his kit. His Q passive poke does allow for nice poking damage, but I think we all gotta remember that the ad scaling applies when the passive glows green / yellow / red. So Q passive is not a ad-enhanced steroid, its an AD-enhanced POKE. Not on par with an attack speed boost ala trist, nor consistent extra damage like vayne's Q tumble or draven's Q throwing axe. Consider also that is magical damage... so getting magic penetration to enhance the damage on flay E, and box R will also enhance death sentence.

Thresh is a good kill lane but with amazing carry-protection potential. Late game he offers the obvious cc but also an amazing initiation with Q and R.

The really cool thing I appreciate though is the low cd on death sentence. 12 seconds compared to blitz's 16.

C4KE 01-27-2013 07:12 PM

Lol. Not sure why you would build Thresh AD, as all of his abilities scale of AP.