League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Fan Art (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Digi-art contest entry WIP-Master YI (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3037421)

drukenMunkey 01-23-2013 03:48 PM

Digi-art contest entry WIP-Master YI

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone here are some quick screenshots of the progress so far on my entry for the art contest. Creating a cinematic quality Master Yi, this is just the base mesh created in Maya that I will be taking into the Zbrush for details and Texturing. The design of Yi is a mix between the new default Yi splash art, chinese Ionia master Yi splash and some of the original in game Ionia Yi design. My roommate will be matte painting an environment to place my model in and will also be making a thread soon, be sure to check that out as well, will throw a link up to it when it is made.

Edited with Updates: Hey everyone posting our final! One of the great pleasures of working in CG is that something always goes wrong. We had a couple of last minute hiccups and literally missed the deadline by seconds. That's alright though, we had fun working on this piece and we still have the animation to finish up. The animation should be done by end-of-day Sunday or very early Monday morning at the latest, so keep an eye out for it.

NATHANUS MAXIMUS 01-23-2013 07:41 PM

You know 3D models are not allowed right?
Your entry will be automatically disqualified....

It is really good, but against the rules

drukenMunkey 01-23-2013 08:08 PM

Thanks, glad you like the model but there may have been a misunderstanding, I am not sending in the model itself to be judged. This model will be set up in a scene and rendered out as a still. The final submission will be a 2d still. I have read all the rules twice over now and unless I missed something this is all fine. If you find something that contradicts this please post it.

DanRileyCG 01-25-2013 02:23 AM

Umm. Rendered out as a 2D still or not doesn't make a difference. You're stretching the rules too thin here to make this work for you. I'm a 3D artist as well, and went to school for 3D modeling and animation. However, as stated in the rules this is a hand-drawn digital painting contest. 3D work is not acceptable. That said, obviously I can't enter a 3D model, or even a 2D screen shot of it... Because its not hand drawn or a digital painting. Instead, I'm hand-drawing (digitally) my entry, which I have yet to post to the forums.

It has to be hand drawn from the ground up, and digitally colored and painted. I don't know how you think that taking a picture of something that is 3D suddenly makes it 2D. I like the model and all, but it can't be used for this competition.

Sorry.

Talonfury 01-25-2013 03:55 AM

He can use a rendered image for submission. It was said here : http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...05811#33505811

DanRileyCG 01-25-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonfury (Hozzászólás 33877662)
He can use a rendered image for submission. It was said here : http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...05811#33505811

Wow. That's stupid. So this contest will consist of apples and oranges instead of just apples or just oranges? That's honestly disappointing.

I thought the point of the competition was to put to the test ones artist drawing skills-- in a digital painting competition. 3D art is akin to an entirely different medium. He also said his friend was going to paint the background for him... I thought all of the art had to be yours alone, and not multiple people.

*sigh*

Talonfury 01-25-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delkin525 (Hozzászólás 33880525)
Wow. That's stupid. So this contest will consist of apples and oranges instead of just apples or just oranges? That's honestly disappointing.

I thought the point of the competition was to put to the test ones artist drawing skills-- in a digital painting competition. 3D art is akin to an entirely different medium. He also said his friend was going to paint the background for him... I thought all of the art had to be yours alone, and not multiple people.

*sigh*

Digital art is typically considered an amalgamation of techniques and software. Most digital-artists utilize a mix of 3D & 2D softwares to achieve their final image. I know that Sketchup is very popular with comic artists and digital painters who have issues with backgrounds/ environments. If you watch any of the riot art spotlights a lot of them use a 3D model for the weapon and sometimes environmental details. They end up painting details onto them to fit into the scene flawlessly.

But this was never a contest of pure technical skill, thats only 1 of 3 criteria thats judged upon according to the FAQ. Content and Impact are the other two criteria. You can be as amazing as you want with the art but if its soul less then the over simplified heart warming manga image is going to win.

You are actually right about the roommate thing though, it states on the front page of the contest that the submissions must be yours and yours alone. And I haven't come across any mention of allowing a collaboration.

All of that said, I think the model looks great, but what item are you including and do you have a thumb of the composition?

MsPudding 01-25-2013 05:25 PM

Just to be clear, the three criteria we mentioned in the FAQ are not of equal weight :D

While "Quality, Content, and Impact" are the most important factors we will look at in the judging process, each one is the prerequisite for the next step as we are narrowing down entries. If an entry does not meet our basic requirement for the quality of the art itself, the content or impact will not matter. :)

Hellioning 01-25-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsPudding (Hozzászólás 33897558)
Just to be clear, the three criteria we mentioned in the FAQ are not of equal weight :D

While "Quality, Content, and Impact" are the most important factors we will look at in the judging process, each one is the prerequisite for the next step as we are narrowing down entries. If an entry does not meet our basic requirement for the quality of the art itself, the content or impact will not matter. :)

As someone who can't do anything artistic that doesn't involve words, this doesn't apply to me, but I am wondering: why make this contest so specific? I mean, the last contest was at least topical to the season; I just don't know why it needs to be digital hand drawn stuff specifically. Isn't that excluding a large variety of skilled artists?

MsPudding 01-25-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellioning (Hozzászólás 33897817)
As someone who can't do anything artistic that doesn't involve words, this doesn't apply to me, but I am wondering: why make this contest so specific? I mean, the last contest was at least topical to the season; I just don't know why it needs to be digital hand drawn stuff specifically. Isn't that excluding a large variety of skilled artists?

It's been highly requested that we make contests for more specific skill sets. Instead of running a general art contest where people will complain if the winners are of a specific medium where people tend to show more talent via pictures, we are directing the medium at one thing to keep it focused in a way that benefits talented artists.