League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is Draven viable? If so how? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3036281)

Lone Zach Black 01-23-2013 11:38 AM

Is Draven viable? If so how?

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. So I just bought Draven and I'm getting a lot of conflicting views on him. On one hand, his dps with axes seems to wreck faces, but I'm finding it very difficult to be a whole lot of use in team fights. I was just hoping I can get some general suggestions on him from someone who is experienced with him, especially during a team fight.What I'm struggling with most is the lack of DPS while having to move to pick up axes and not getting destroyed in that time.

Kyzrathnosh 01-23-2013 12:28 PM

Focus the high-priority targets, use your Stand Aside skill to disrupt and your ult to pick up stragglers/plow through the entire goddamn time.

OriginalJack 01-23-2013 01:12 PM

Draven is viable, honestly there's not really any champs that aren't until you get to a very high level. It's all about how well you play them and how the team comp is. To answer your specific question about draven in team fights I'm not going to lie catching spinning axes in a full 5v5 at baron isn't easy but if you can pull is off you will find yourself really chunking people's health.

First off you need to be good about controling where the axe is going to land. Try to avoid throwing axes while charging fwd unless you plan to continue charging fwd. Use blood rush to get into position quickly, then stop running, then throw the axe. Do all that quickly and the axe should bounce back right where you're standing. Basically you want to get into position and move as little as possible from there while keeping the dps up.

Second know how many autos you can get off with your current attack speed and still get into position to catch your axe. For example you should be able to go:
throw axe -> auto -> auto -> move slightly to catch axe -> throw axe -> auto -> auto -> etc.
You should be able to keeping catching axes and getting autos off without a hitch assuming nobody messes with you. Being able to do this is the gateway to high dps.

Third, if somebody does try to walk up to you and try to interupt you catching axes toss your E in their face and auto them. Unless you are way behind you can likely 1v1 them now. Don't let them interupt you catching axes, you are freaking draven, the show must go on. If you do decide to back away instead of just standing there AAing them down wait til you have an axe in hand right after you throw the axe hit your W and back away quickly, the axe should bounce way behind you, go catch it and throw it at the person that tried to stop you catching axes, grats you are now kiting them. Keep hitting W and catching axes and it's unlikely they will be able to catch you.

Fouth, try to keep W up and keep in mind what it will do to the number of autos you can get off while still catching axes. This is really an extension of my second point but this is the second gateway to high dps. Typically I will wait until I am about to catch an axe before I activate it. If I realize that I'm not going to catch the axe I will usually not activiate it. I know this will lower your dps a little but keep in mind that a draven with W on cooldown is just as immobile as somebody like ashe or varus except he has lower range.
So if we add in W the rotation becomes:
Throw Axe -> auto -> auto -> W (if you are going to be able to catch the axe) -> move to catch axe -> Throw axe -> auto -> auto -> auto (note the extra auto) -> W -> move to catch the axe -> throw axe -> etc.
If you are using W to get into position like I said in point #1 that's fine but you'd better make sure you catch that first axe otherwise you just threw away a lot of dps while you wait for CDs.

Fifth, ult early in the fight and try to hit as many people as possible don't save your ult to try to finish somebody, you will likely earn more money from getting x5 assists than you would have from KSing somebody and you will have done more overall damage because you hit more people. This is the third gate to high dps, don't try to be overly selfish and KS people with your ult your team needs money too. They are the front line between you and the enemy's dps and you can't dps while dead. Even though you are the star of the show you still need a supporting cast to have your back. Make sure your team knows they are doing a good job too. If you do get a penta make sure you tell them that you couldn't have done it w/o them. Good Guy Draven scores a penta for the team not for himself.

Lone Zach Black 01-23-2013 02:41 PM

Thanks, those are great tips. I think what I will have to work on most is keeping my W up and positioning of myself and axes.
As far as items go how does boots>dorans>(maybe)dorans>BF sword>life steal>infinity edge> PD> bloodthirster> Armor pen item > GA sound? (Sorry I don't remember what they are all called.

So True II 01-23-2013 03:12 PM

I'd recommend longsword+2 start going for bf sword or boots and vamp on first back, helps add to your massive aa dmg

OriginalJack 01-23-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Zach Black (Hozzászólás 33821348)
Thanks, those are great tips. I think what I will have to work on most is keeping my W up and positioning of myself and axes.

Yeah that's the key points in that massive wall I put up there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Zach Black (Hozzászólás 33821348)
As far as items go how does boots>dorans>(maybe)dorans>BF sword>life steal>infinity edge> PD> bloodthirster> Armor pen item > GA sound? (Sorry I don't remember what they are all called.

Either longsword x2 pots into BT -> PD -> IE -> LW -> defensive item (usually GA but sometimes you might need a warmogs or QSS)

Or
Boots x3 pots -> dorans -> dorans -> IE -> PD -> BT -> etc...

I prefer IE first but it's ok either way.

Lone Zach Black 01-23-2013 04:39 PM

Well I think I'm slowly getting the hang of him. Just went 15/10 (which I realize isn't great but better than I had been doing) and by the end game I could 2 shot zilean and 1v1 fed Lee. :D Thanks again. Learning that the way i faced and how i moved influenced axe position really helped.