League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Item Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mercurial Scimitar suggestion- 1 second Olaf ult. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3035826)

Galgus 01-23-2013 08:31 AM

Mercurial Scimitar suggestion- 1 second Olaf ult.

By this, I mean activating Mercurial Scimitar should provide immunity to any and all crowd control for one second.

It would still give the one second +50% movement speed buff for melee champions.

My reasons for this are as follows:

Mercurial Scimitar is a very specialized item purchased specifically to prevent CC from shutting an AD champion down.

However, it is not uncommon for the enemy team to have some form of displacement/ knock-up that the item can currently do nothing against, despite its role as a specialized anti-CC item.

Due to the restriction for only one cleanse and this inability to aid against displacement/ knock-up CC, Guardian Angel is usually a more reliable counter to CC/ shutdown, particularly in the CC heavy scenarios where players would consider buying a counter,

It would vastly improve the item for Melee ADCs, because they can get shut down by a single knock-up or displacement ability, need to dive into situations where CC intensive teams may have multiple CCs waiting for them, and can get more done in that single CC free second than most character archetypes.*

*(The only one that might compete is Burst Mages, but they typically don't require as risky positioning as a Melee ADC.)

Thus, I suggest this change to make Mercurial Scimitar a more reliable, albeit expensive counter to a CC heavy team.

Optional Tweaks:

1. The one second of CC only applies to melee champions: ranged champions just have the normal QSS effect.

2. The one second CC immunity cancels channeled abilities, and channeled abilities cancel the CC immunity.

(These are just changes addressing some concerns people have had: I don't personally see them as neccessary, but if Ranged ADCs and channel champions like Katarina are seen as too problematic with the changed item, these tweaks would solve the problem.)

3. Would the item make more sense as an AD/ Crit item with a similar cost? Magic resist is an awkward stat for Melee ADCs because by definition they aren't tanking up- so they lack the health to make it very useful.

It would be a less appealing item for Bruisers and AD Casters, but it would tailor the item more for Melee ADCs.

3mptylord 01-23-2013 09:03 AM

I wouldn't be opposed to this. I'm not exactly certain how balanced it would be - but the item is hardly cheap, and 1 second of immunity requires pristine timing (and so it's a high-risk-high-reward). The item definitely would have merits. People have been asking for an activatable Banshee's Veil for years (they want to decide what to block) - and this might sort-of cover it (you still take damage, but the CC doesn't happen).

Galgus 01-23-2013 09:06 AM

I won't deny that its a strong effect, but as an incredibly expensive item built specifically to counter CC, I think this would be a good thing to test.

I jungle as Yi often, and Guardian Angel is usually more reliable against CC heavy teams than the current Mercurial Scimitar.

TealNinje 01-23-2013 03:44 PM

I'd prefer it to have a cost increase if it were to gain temporary CC immunity.

Amaltron 01-23-2013 05:46 PM

It would be too powerful. It would be strong on characters like Katarina and Nunu providing 0 counterplay from stopping their ult in that short time frame. Cleanse used to give this kind of ability but got nerfed for a reason.

Galgus 01-23-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TealNinje (Hozzászólás 33823973)
I'd prefer it to have a cost increase if it were to gain temporary CC immunity.

It already costs 3810 gold, which is 10 more than an Infinity Edge.

TealNinje 01-23-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galgus (Hozzászólás 33829999)
It already costs 3810 gold, which is 10 more than an Infinity Edge.

You're saying it like the two items are intended for the same purpose.

Galgus 01-23-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaltron (Hozzászólás 33828838)
It would be too powerful. It would be strong on characters like Katarina and Nunu providing 0 counterplay from stopping their ult in that short time frame. Cleanse used to give this kind of ability but got nerfed for a reason.

Katarina isn't as ult centric as she once was, and this would be a hefty investment on her that wouldn't give ideal stats for a rush item.

Her ability to carry while building tanky AP is more problematic for shutting her down than this would be as she is not nearly as ult centric as she was before the rework.

(And if I'm not mistaken, this item wouldn't be as good at increasing her raw ult damage as other alternatives: correct me if I'm wrong.)

For champions that would use this, I'm fairly certain that a tank could zone them sufficiently to force them to use it prematurely: it would mostly make peeling -> insta-gibbing them a bit harder.

Nunu would probably block one interrupt with this and probably get hit by a second, but its a rather expensive item to build on him: especially considering how well he would use the AD.

EDIT: I added in the optional bit about the rework's interaction with channels later on.

Galgus 01-23-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TealNinje (Hozzászólás 33830058)
You're saying it like the two items are intended for the same purpose.

I'm just saying that it already has a significant cost, and that by grabbing one players are delaying/ giving up on other powerful items.

Galgus 01-24-2013 06:59 AM

Would people be more comfortable with this if the activation interrupted channels?

I don't really see Katarina or the like getting out of hand with it, but I would be open to the change because it wouldn't affect most ADs that would have an use for MS.