League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help finding an ADC (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3035618)

TheCeeJay 01-23-2013 07:33 AM

Help finding an ADC

I hope this is in the right forum...

I need help finding an ADC I can use well. I play mostly normals but I've been playing some ranked with my friends and I realized in my ranked games that I can't AD Carry.

I own Ezreal, but I can't seem to get the hang of him. I also have Draven, but I know his late game kind of falls off because he has to keep catching axes in team fights. Then there is Kog'Maw and Corki who I also just can't get the hang of.

Honestly in most normal games if I'm stuck as the ADC I just inform my team my best option is honestly Teemo. I know that won't work in ranked games though.

As for the rest of the common ADCs, I've tried them all but wasn't very impressed so maybe I was doing something wrong. I want to get Graves and try him out but I don't want to waste the RP or IP.

I just feel bad when I play ranked and for some reason no one wants ADC and I'm stuck with it. It's the only role I can't do well and I want to be able to. So who should I try out or what are some tips to help me with the ones I currently have?

I really want to play Corki and be good with him but I can't get the hang of him.

Madraac 01-23-2013 10:26 AM

I suggest you cotinue practicing in bot or custom games first and foremost. You have to get used to the idea of last hitting creeps, which is basically waiting to shoot them when they are at near death for the gold only. While doing this you need to move back and forth so you do not present yourself as an easy target and so forth. I only state the above to make sure that you have heard of the concept and not to make you / me sound like an idiot, but sometimes people do not know what they are asking.

As for an ADC choice, EZ is great, but has a higher learning curve because he has skill shots, as does Kog. You have to practice with these champs to be good and ensure you are hitting those shots by landing them on a champ versus having a minion shield your enemy.

With that said, you may want to pick up a champ that is easier to learn the basics of, and learn the role. Most ADC's have some form of AS boost, as well as some form of AD boost. Look for those that fit how you play, and will be easy to learn, maybe focusing on those that you can easily "forget" about a skill and still survive. Graves has that all around ease of use, in that he has his damage and speed boosts, plus he has a slow / blind and a mini flash due to his dash. His Ult is a skill shot though, but otherwise fairly early to on strong and easy to learn. Other ADC's to look at are Miss Fortune and Tristana, for ease of learning. Trist has great lane control/push through her E passive exploding minions on a kill, and has a great escape or charge mechanism with her rocket jump. Miss Fortune gives you a lot of easy utility, but is acceptable to ganks because she only has a slow, that takes a second to get off, so flash or ghost is required. However, her abilities are straightforward, and her Ult is one of the easiest to use for great team damage.

If you want to learn Corki though, you just have to practice. He is a tremendously tough ADC, but again, you need to learn when to use your abilities. For a learning player, the biggest issue is thinking that as an ADC you can just kill everyone quickly, and thus making the mistake to dive when you should have just settled down a bit. Read some basic guides, even if outdated, as they will give you hints on how to be successful as you find your groove.

Ethri 01-23-2013 10:28 AM

You might want to try out Tristana as a cheap ADC. She is fairly simple to use despite her "mid game weakness". She also has a kiting potential on par with Caitlyn and Ezreal.

SeCKS Egai 01-23-2013 10:45 AM

My recommendation - practice with Ashe - if you don't already have her she's a mere 450ip and covers all the ADC fundamentals. I used to run her before I discovered Vayne and haven't liked another ADC since.

The core play of an adc should transfer to any adc, as powers/spells shouldn't be your focus, but things like positioning and last-hitting.

TheCeeJay 01-23-2013 11:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I played an Intermediate bot game earlier but was stuck soloing bottom against a Kayle and Sona as Corki, and I couldn't get too many kills easily, but I did pretty well. It was good practice last hitting since my lane kept leaving to gank other lanes because they pushed their towers quicker.

So I got some practice there. I actually own 51 champs, of those the ADCs I have are Ashe, Corki, Draven, Ezreal, Kog'Maw, Sivir, Teemo (kind of an ADC), Tristana (got her for free with the whole facebook thing awhile back), Twisted Fate and Twitch.

I used to play Twitch a lot, but since his rework I just can't get back into him. I've tried all of those champs before and my favorites are Corki, Ezreal and Draven, but Draven falls off late game and Corki and Ezreal are harder. I'm gonna practice a bit more with Corki and see if I can play a normal game with him soon.

MyLittleAshie 01-23-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSeCKSx (Hozzászólás 33810518)

The core play of an adc should transfer to any adc, as powers/spells shouldn't be your focus, but things like positioning and last-hitting.

If you're having difficulties with so many different adcs, then maybe the problem to address isn't necessarily the specific champ you play but how you perform the role in general. For sure, you should find an adc you have natural synergy with - for me it was Ashe and Vayne - but then it's good to keep in mind that the grass isn't always greener with a different champ.

Once you find one you're happy enough with, start setting some goals for practice. Make it your goal to have X creep score by Y time, and raise the bar as you play more games. Once you have last hitting down, then start figuring out how you can poke + get your creep score. At this point you should know what your champ can take and dish out at early levels, so you'll next learn how to use/respond to your support and get those early kills.

I know you're not a noob and I don't mean to talk down - just saying, maybe what will help is to divide the adc role into parts and focus on improving those one at a time.

TheCeeJay 01-23-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittleAshie (Hozzászólás 33812099)
If you're having difficulties with so many different adcs, then maybe the problem to address isn't necessarily the specific champ you play but how you perform the role in general. For sure, you should find an adc you have natural synergy with - for me it was Ashe and Vayne - but then it's good to keep in mind that the grass isn't always greener with a different champ.

Once you find one you're happy enough with, start setting some goals for practice. Make it your goal to have X creep score by Y time, and raise the bar as you play more games. Once you have last hitting down, then start figuring out how you can poke + get your creep score. At this point you should know what your champ can take and dish out at early levels, so you'll next learn how to use/respond to your support and get those early kills.

I know you're not a noob and I don't mean to talk down - just saying, maybe what will help is to divide the adc role into parts and focus on improving those one at a time.

I definitely see what you mean, I'm not having a problem with last hitting so much as I'm having problems with knowing when I can go in and get the kill. But that comes with learning the champ and their capabilities I guess. I'm probably gonna play a custom game later to practice last hitting just to make sure I have that down well enough then try and move on to poking and last hitting.

In the last bot game I played I had a Sion bot with me and he took most of the kills so I couldn't get items and stuff like I wanted but I did pretty well. I just need more practice. Thanks for the feedback!

SeCKS Egai 01-23-2013 06:59 PM

If you're practicing in AI - a lot of the problem is folks in AI are prone to competing for kills in bot lane.

As someone with over 1700 co op wins, until recently I rarely saw a "support" bottom feeding the adc. But even now, you can't really expect someone bot to help feed the adc kills in AI regularly.

But the other thing is, when learning off AI, its not going to give you a real idea a typical bot lane experience.

However, one thing you definitely need is to feel comfortable with the champ you use if adc doesn't come second nature. While an adc shouldn't be reliant on their spells, their kit really sets their "flavor". Ez for example can use his q and e to zone and dominate a lane thanks to the damage, range and mobility. Vayne no longer has a strong early game presence but late game her and kog can be the most devastating. Corki ate some nerfs (the big one being no longer having a blind) but R allows for some nice range and aoe damage and he's got an effective escape/chasing tool.

The reason why I feel ashe is an effective adc stepping stone is that she's really simplified. She's got a long range harass with a wide cone, which indirectly can teach mana management as it can quickly drain your pool if not used sparingly. She's got a scouting tool that can offer some quick temporary vision which can help quite a bit, especially with all that brush. But more than anything, early game, (aside from a crit) she hits like a pea shooter and can teach one the limitations of a carry early game pretty well.

Early game kills are often situational in the current meta, and shouldn't be a focus as the opportunity won't always present itself.

Last-hitting and avoiding death while remaining in the lane for extended periods is what I'd stress the most for any new adc. Knowing when to harass and when to close in is something you should get a feel for and can vary between carries.

For example, I hated pots for the longest time and it took me a long time to see their potential early game. Boots and 3 pots is effectively your required start as you need all the mobility you can get as positioning plays into everything. The pots allow you to trade a bit and remain in the lane. 3 pots almost like having an extra 450 health at your disposal, you just don't get it instantaneously.

As for engaging, you'll typically want to get a lead healthwise against your target. Before you close in, early game you'll want to soften up the target. When just a few hits from you and your support can finish the target, feel free to strike. There are far many more nuances to that, like how thick is the minion wave, or where how far pushed up are you in the lane, do you have wards out to see if the enemy jungler is around etc. But, ultimately, you're shooting for putting yourself in a position that allows you to kill your target and deny them the ability to retaliate with a kill to one of your own (you or the support, or your jungler if applicable).

Hasuobs 01-23-2013 07:01 PM

I would suggest MF or Graves. They're both pretty easy to play, are ability based (I don't know, I find abilities easier than auto's), and are really fun to play :D

Jalkan 01-23-2013 08:17 PM

Play AD Sona, she has her own heal.