League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would you be interested in a RateMyProfessors type service, but for streamers? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3032190)

Dagon 5 01-22-2013 07:34 AM

Would you be interested in a RateMyProfessors type service, but for streamers?

For those who are unfamiliar with RMP, this service would be a community driven database of League of Legends streamer reviews based on a number of criteria. Users will be able to rate and comment on a streamer, rating out of 5 stars on overall quality, entertainment, informativeness, interactivity with viewers, etc. The objective of this site is to help viewers who are unfamiliar with many of the popular streamers, or help find a streamer best suited for learning, fun, or overall quality. The utility extends beyond viewers, as well. Streamers looking to improve can visit the site to gain awareness of any problems that may be listed, and can leave their own response in the comments.

Reviews will of course be monitored for inappropriate/troll responses, and will be given a weight based on some sort of algorithm that will include the time submitted (much older ratings will be weighted slightly lower) and possibly user value (users who contribute more and do not get reviews reported will be worth more, this could be an optional search filter). We are also looking into expanding the site for streamers of any game, but for now, we want to gauge interest on this type of service for LoL.

Other possible features:
- Sort by champions played most
- Notification service for streamers who are live
- Featured streamer page

If you guys have any ideas to improve on the concept, feel free to weigh in as well. This is just a rough layout of our idea for the community.

Thanks!

Bunta 01-22-2013 07:36 AM

Maybe, ill admit i dont tend to watch Streamers, but thats only because the ones i have watched are generally boring, and stereotypical. If there was some way to see which streamers are actually doing what, and just not in it for the views i would be interested in it.

Synaptic 01-22-2013 07:39 AM

Honestly, I don't think the idea would work too well. Too many people would post false reviews to turn people away from certain streamers

Dagon 5 01-22-2013 07:39 AM

This will also be an excellent way to showcase streamers with fewer viewers who deserve to be seen. And yeah, the point is to get an idea of which streamers contribute something worthwhile to your own viewing experience, be it entertainment or information.

Vivid 01-22-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synaptic (Hozzászólás 33770308)
Honestly, I don't think the idea would work too well. Too many people would post false reviews to turn people away from certain streamers

That's why you have check systems in place. You can see what one person says and if there's a trend of trolling, or negativity on many streamers but one or two it's safe to say the person is just trying to rig the system. This is what a lot of hotel review sites do. It's not hard :3

Dagon 5 01-22-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synaptic (Hozzászólás 33770308)

That's what moderation is for. If a post is deemed inappropriate, it can be reported/removed. I honestly think the ratio between honest reviewers and trolls will be downplayed with this system. Users who contribute more to helping out the review database and do not get reported will have higher weight in the algorithm than those who log in and post once to hate on Dyrus.

IS125249a956a4be4299b23 01-22-2013 07:45 AM

i feel like all the reviews would end up looking like an upsidedown bell curve

Grandpappy 01-22-2013 07:46 AM

Incoming 12,000 reviews of XJ9's stream by the day after release.

Grandpappy 01-22-2013 07:47 AM

Oh, and I think it's an interesting idea, but I dont think the sample of streams is large enough for this to work. Most people just watch the pros or the most engaging streamers, so the distribution is quite skeweed.

Dagon 5 01-22-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandpappy (Hozzászólás 33770560)
Oh, and I think it's an interesting idea, but I dont think the sample of streams is large enough for this to work. Most people just watch the pros or the most engaging streamers, so the distribution is quite skeweed.

This is a valid concern; however, this site will be catering to more than just the silent majority. It will hopefully serve as a permanent, continually updating knowledge base of streamers who are looking to gain followers for people who care about furthering the streaming community.

I should also note that we will look into making our own notification service that will let you know when a certain streamer is live without having to subscribe to them through Twitch or own3D possibly.