League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   PVP.net Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sell us an elo reset (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3029300)

Mad Mathis 01-21-2013 03:14 PM

Sell us an elo reset

Whether or not you're a believer in elo hell, I think there are an awful lot of us who would be willing to pay to get an elo do-over. Reset us to 1200 (or whatever the current default is) and give us our 10 placement matches again, as if we were new to ranked. Lots of money for Riot, and lots of happier players who no longer feel (justified or not) that they are stuck in an unpleasant situation.

The only argument I can think of against such an option would be that it would cause an increase in unskilled players at ~1200 elo placement matches, but I imagine that Riot already has a system in place to deal with the randomness of placement matches--as it is, any new lvl 30 might be great or might be terrible.

Responders: please don't take this as an opportunity to rehash the age-old elo arguments. I'd like to think that even if I believed that everyone gets the elo they deserve, I would also believe that everyone deserves a second chance.

Also, in case anyone has the understandable but mistaken impression that a new season = an elo reset, that is not the case. At least for season three, they "compressed" the elos from last season, meaning that if you were in the dumps before, you started slightly less in the dumps this season, but still well below 1200. And regardless, a year is a long time to wait for someone who's frustrated with their situation.

bloks 01-21-2013 07:03 PM

elo reset ftw

PapstJL4U 01-22-2013 03:42 AM

not like elo reset will kill the elo system, because it creates elo.
there are 3 major problems with the elo system someone want to, but can not avoid.

>elo inflation & deflatoin
>transitivity
>Problem of 1000 games.

elo inflation: everytime someone starts in the system and leaves the system with a lower elo, than started, he increases the elo pool, i.e. someone got elo playing against "noone".
elo deflation: same thing, but other way around, i.e. someone lost elo playing against "noone".

transitivty: if A wins against B and B wins against C, the elo system things: A will win against C with a high percentage. This is not true in natur. also this aspect neat to know, its anrelated.^^

problem of 1000 games: When player A repeatly plays against player B, B will get more and more elo, so his skill does not increas, f.e: A is a 800 elo player, B is 1000 (theoratical truth), D and C are both 1200, but all 4 started at 1200. In the first 10 years, only A plays against B and C against D. After this 10 years, A will maybe have 800 elo and B 1600, while C and D only have 1200. When B plays against C or D, they will get a greate amout of elo, because B stockpile a great amout of elo from A.

to your idea: this will create a greate amount of elo and for every player, but will not increase his skill, for example:
Player A is at 1100 elo and thinks he is better. so he buys a reset. player B is just a little better, 1300. he got is elo from player B. After the reset Player A plays against plaer B. Again B wins, because he is better. Now A has 1110 Elo and B has 1390 (got the elo, but less than before, because the elo rates him better). A repeatly plays against other players C, D and so one, who are better until he is at a low elo again. He repeats his purchase and the cicle begins again.
Because A isnt the worst play, he will get elo the same method, B got. So in the long run and with a great number of games, he got a higher elo, but nothing changed. He has the same "bad" players as before, because all the better players got elo from him and alike; and he got elo from players who are worse. the elo will from the bad players, who are more likely to pay reset, will bubble up to the better players.

>The same players play together, but the amount of elo increases, because mostly the bad players will buy a reset, while the better players feed from the lower ones. we have an elo inflation in chessm which is already faster, than it should be. your idea would speed this inflation up.

Jubeja 02-14-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapstJL4U (Hozzászólás 33764931)
not like elo reset will kill the elo system, because it creates elo.
there are 3 major problems with the elo system someone want to, but can not avoid.

>elo inflation & deflatoin
>transitivity
>Problem of 1000 games.

<snip>

>The same players play together, but the amount of elo increases, because mostly the bad players will buy a reset, while the better players feed from the lower ones. we have an elo inflation in chessm which is already faster, than it should be. your idea would speed this inflation up.

I like the argument, don't get me wrong. The problem I'm seeing now is there is no communication at the lower ELO; people have NO issue playing poorly and not doing their best at low ELO; I'm last pick and fulfill the Summoner's code taking support, of course.

ADC gets 60 CS in 30 minutes. This has happened three times in the last 20 games. Another champion ends at 0/0/0 because they weren't there from the outset; twice in in 20 games. Jungle comments, "I've never played this champ before." Twice in the last 20... It goes on and on and Bronze II slowly slips to Bronze V. I was a 65% Maokai jungler before suddenly I'm last pick every time and someone INSISTS on taking Jungle ahead of me. Or, of course, see other issues faced.

I want a reset. I don't know what else to say. This account has been rendered useless and the players I'm getting matched with are making the game atrocious.

Jubeja 02-14-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubeja (Hozzászólás 34661617)
ADC gets 60 CS in 30 minutes. This has happened three times in the last 20 games. Another champion ends at 0/0/0 because they weren't there from the outset; twice in in 20 games. Jungle comments, "I've never played this champ before." Twice in the last 20... It goes on and on and Bronze II slowly slips to Bronze V. I was a 65% Maokai jungler before suddenly I'm last pick every time and someone INSISTS on taking Jungle ahead of me. Or, of course, see other issues faced.

"post removed due to someone dodging. But basically it was constant bickering between team who was mid with a bunch of STFU's"