League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What's the point of subliminal messaging? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3026855)

Thane Soren 01-20-2013 10:07 PM

What's the point of subliminal messaging?

What's the point of subliminal messaging, really? Split second frames don't get your message across at all. If you were watching a show, and then for 0.0001 seconds a full screen of wine appeared, how would that inspire you to drink? It's not like you saw it.

Is it used as an excuse for people to put something somewhere? If that's the case, why not make it noticeable?

Someone explain this to me. I don't see why this advertisement practice exists.

Anialator100 01-20-2013 10:08 PM

at most its 60 FPS, so its more like .01 seconds, and the human brain can actualy pick that up. without you knowing

Thane Soren 01-20-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anialator100 (Hozzászólás 33717087)
the human brain can actualy pick that up. without you knowing

What?

How?

I don't believe that.

And plus, even if it is true, which I can't believe, what's the point of it if you don't even know about it?

IntrospectionMan 01-20-2013 10:17 PM

That's a very outdated and bad use of subliminal messaging, and no good advertisements use that anymore.

Not sure what you're on about. Subliminal messaging could be something as subtle as you watching a very voluptuous woman using some product, or one of those beauty commercials where a collage of very silky skinned woman are using a product that is claimed to be amazing. It makes you think that that product will help you look like that, or attract people like that.

Sorator 01-20-2013 10:18 PM

...the **** is this doing in the PBE forum?

Thane Soren 01-20-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntrospectionMan (Hozzászólás 33717310)
Not sure what you're on about. Subliminal messaging could be something as subtle as you watching a very voluptuous woman using some product, or one of those beauty commercials where a collage of very silky skinned woman are using a product that is claimed to be amazing. It makes you think that that product will help you look like that, or attract people like that.

That's not subliminal messaging. That's just a marketing ploy.

"That girl looks so pretty using that face cream, I'm going to use it too"

It's more of taking advantage of people's close-mindedness than subliminal messaging.

Thane Soren 01-20-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorator (Hozzászólás 33717356)
...the **** is this doing in the PBE forum?

That's a good question. Someone should move this to off-topic

Anialator100 01-20-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reynfall (Hozzászólás 33717234)
What?

How?

I don't believe that.

And plus, even if it is true, which I can't believe, what's the point of it if you don't even know about it?

Studies have proven it. if you put subliminal messages into tv ads, people would flock to it like crazy, but its illegal becasue its too powerful. can you tell the difference between 40 and 60 FPS, if you can, your brain can easily pick up those messages and you just proved it. its all subconcious. its like hypnotism.

DeceitfulFish 01-20-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reynfall (Hozzászólás 33717234)
What?

How?

I don't believe that.

There is a difference between sensation and perception. Further, there is a difference between conscious perception and unconscious perception. Your brain is aware of far more than what you consciously pay attention to. Are you constantly devoting conscious attention to the shoes on your feet? No, because it's a waste. One frame per sixty is presumably not enough to reach conscious awareness. You are also not always aware of your entire field of vision – you focus the object of attention on the fovea, while the periphery is only consciously noticed when the nervous system finds some significant change.

Iyufa 01-20-2013 10:52 PM

i wasnt sure about it too the first time i heard about it until i watch a documentary how companies made their ads based on customers' need.

basically they made a group of test subjects go on tour around the town for sighseeing and stuff. While a company put a "hidden message" around the town which none of the test subjects noticed. At the end of the tour, the test subjects were given 10 minutes to write down/draw anything they desire at that moment.

unsurprisingly, most of the test subjects desired the same thing that the "hidden message" was showing around the town. It's just a small scale test, but it does show that subliminal messages do work, though it doesnt work on some people.