League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Learning Curve and Raging. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3025904)

Glichdot 01-20-2013 05:37 PM

Learning Curve and Raging.

I'm not that new... been playing for about a month and have maybe 200 games under my belt.

I mostly play Riven and Cait, though I do have other champs those are the ones I have the most fun with. I love Cait but can't play her in a 3v3 a lot of the times as it might be detrimental to my team. Most times I play Riven. I don't play 5v5 too often because I know I am not good enough. I am not yet 30 and don't play ranked. Everything I read leads me to believe I will never even WANT to play ranked.

So I solo que normals and sometimes Duo with the the one or 2 people who have added me as a friend. The other day I picked up Kayle. I like the champs versatility as a support/whatever and am trying to find a good way to play her.

My problem is that bots are almost useless to practice with or on. It's good for getting the hang of your champs capabilities and what the skills do but it only gets your feet and ankles wet. So I que normal 3v3 and try to play Kayle. The last game I played as soon as I picked her I was given grief by a teammate. I told him that I payed for her so why can't I play her to which he responded "You better be good." Once in the game I told him that if he wants to buy champs for me I will play whatever he wishes and both of my teammates told me to shut up. At this point I knew the game was lost.

I know one of them reported me for feeding and to be honest maybe I was. My head just wasn't in the game, I didn't want to play with these people but what could I do? How can I practice a champ other then que normal? I was warned about this game before I picked it up and I am starting to understand why.

TL;DR What am I supposed to do to practice if playing normal games just gets me cursed at?

Hairyhulk 01-20-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glichdot (Hozzászólás 33708464)
What am I supposed to do to practice if playing normal games just gets me cursed at?

Keep playing?

Sereg Anfaug 01-20-2013 05:46 PM

Practice the actual game? TT is not going to do much for SR - the gameplay is very different.

Also, you're not level 30 yet, so you're still going to be matched with beginners. Keep queueing for PvP now, and learn what you can before you hit 30 and start to get matched with experienced players.

It will help to let people know you're new in champ select, because many people are inclined to offer advice rather then criticism if they know that.

It will not help to have an attitude and try to start a fight, like you did("I told him that I payed for her so why can't I play her"). You may not have intended that to start a fight, but it sure didn't make things any better.

Pigwidgeon 01-20-2013 05:54 PM

Try and get some of your friends to join and play with them. It's much more fun when you're playing with your friends. Plus if you get them to refer you, you could get some nice bonuses.

Glichdot 01-20-2013 06:05 PM

I wasn't trying to start a fight. When he asked me why I picked Kayle, I asked why not. As in is there a reason I shouldn't be playing her. It was an honest question. His response of that I "Better be good" was picking a fight. However if I don't like a player I should ignore them? That gets me reported for "Not communicating"

I am fine with being matched with beginners. I am one. I am pretty bad at this game and I know it. I try and sometimes I win. I could honestly say I am a newb with almost any char I play because I am according to the majority of the people who play this game.

A lot of times it isn't that I don't know what to do, it's that I misclick, fail to notice a skill is off CD or on it, or make other mistakes I'm sure pro players don't. The only advice I could get in that reguard is play better.

I don't feel I have an attitude at all. Were I in his shoes I might have said something along the lines of "Kayle is a difficult champ in 3v3 and kind of unorthodox, you play her alot?" If you **** in someone cheerios you shouldn't expect a smile.

All that being said, since playing normal games is my only option to learn a champ then I imagine if I do terrible in a match I should just hope to not get reported for feeding and if I do pray the tribunal doesn't hit the big red punish button.

EDIT: I started putting "New Champ: Please don't hate me" in champ select.

Glichdot 01-20-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigwidgeon (Hozzászólás 33709084)
Try and get some of your friends to join and play with them. It's much more fun when you're playing with your friends. Plus if you get them to refer you, you could get some nice bonuses.

I did, he hates the game and doesn't want to play it anymore. I respect his wishes.

Pigwidgeon 01-20-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glichdot (Hozzászólás 33709479)
All that being said, since playing normal games is my only option to learn a champ then I imagine if I do terrible in a match I should just hope to not get reported for feeding and if I do pray the tribunal doesn't hit the big red punish button.

You don't have to play normal games. You can play bot games (Co-op vs AI). It'll greatly help you learn new champions and get used to playing overall.

HonorableGeneral 01-20-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigwidgeon (Hozzászólás 33709582)
You don't have to play normal games. You can play bot games (Co-op vs AI). It'll greatly help you learn new champions and get used to playing overall.

I'd suggest against doing that too often. While bot games are great when learning the week's free champions, don't play a lot of them and expect to do well in normals.

Bots are predictable. It's just the truth. If you want to get better you need the human element added to your games, and that only comes from normals.

Sereg Anfaug 01-20-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glichdot (Hozzászólás 33709479)
I wasn't trying to start a fight. When he asked me why I picked Kayle, I asked why not. As in is there a reason I shouldn't be playing her. It was an honest question. His response of that I "Better be good" was picking a fight. However if I don't like a player I should ignore them? That gets me reported for "Not communicating"

I am fine with being matched with beginners. I am one. I am pretty bad at this game and I know it. I try and sometimes I win. I could honestly say I am a newb with almost any char I play because I am according to the majority of the people who play this game.

A lot of times it isn't that I don't know what to do, it's that I misclick, fail to notice a skill is off CD or on it, or make other mistakes I'm sure pro players don't. The only advice I could get in that reguard is play better.

I don't feel I have an attitude at all. Were I in his shoes I might have said something along the lines of "Kayle is a difficult champ in 3v3 and kind of unorthodox, you play her alot?" If you **** in someone cheerios you shouldn't expect a smile.

This is the problem - you feel your response was just fine, but his was over the line. I'm reasonably sure he'd feel the same way about his, which is why everything that goes wrong in this game is always someone else's fault. Be the better person, and keep comments like that to yourself.

As far as being matched with beginners, that was my point - play PvP now while you can still get matched with other inexperienced players, rather then doing bots or TT to 30 and then being matched with actual experienced SR players.

The rest of the trouble will get better with experience, so just get out there and play.

And don't worry about the Tribunal - we can tell when feeding is intentional or not, and it's very unlikely you'll ever even have a Tribunal case.

HonorableGeneral 01-20-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug (Hozzászólás 33709791)
This is the problem - you feel your response was just fine, but his was over the line. I'm reasonably sure he'd feel the same way about his, which is why everything that goes wrong in this game is always someone else's fault. Be the better person, and keep comments like that to yourself.

As far as being matched with beginners, that was my point - play PvP now while you can still get matched with other inexperienced players, rather then doing bots or TT to 30 and then being matched with actual experienced SR players.

The rest of the trouble will get better with experience, so just get out there and play.

And don't worry about the Tribunal - we can tell when feeding is intentional or not, and it's very unlikely you'll ever even have a Tribunal case.

This. So much this.

Success in League boils down to two main factors:

1. Having superior skill.
2. Being the better person.

The former only comes with practice. The latter you have a conscious choice in. Choose to be the better, bigger person.