League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help with adjusting to new champions (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3024591)

WildKoWill 01-20-2013 12:21 PM

Help with adjusting to new champions

I usually play one champion for a while and then move on to another when I get good with that one. The thing is when it's my first time as something, even if I look up strategy's tips and builds, I tend to have no idea what I'm doing. Then at that point it's just an insult party when I die a few times even if i say it's my first time as them. Any tips on how to get good with Katarina or Daruis before I try them?

mobafailure 01-20-2013 12:48 PM

When you start with a new champ, drop to bot games and don't go back to PvP until you consistently have a positive K/D. You still won't do great in PvP for a while, but you won't embarrass yourself, either.

Crazy Crann 01-20-2013 02:28 PM

Intermediate bot games are a great way to get the flow of a champion without playing against completely idiotic opponents (although they will still be far easier than actual human players).

As mobafailure said, once you hit a point where you have a positive KDA ratio, consider moving up to norms.

Also keep in mind that there will be match-ups that you simply cannot win. There are hard counters to every champion, and there are also players who just play exceptionally well with their champions, and you will lose some matches or even get completely wiped by someone.

Darius is very susceptible to being shut down early game -- keep that in mind when playing as him. When playing as Kat, keep in mind that you need a team with enough CC to keep enemies locked down for your ult, and you need to make sure not to pop your ult until the enemy's first round of CC is dead (or far enough away from you that you won't just waste it).

NaginataX 01-20-2013 02:52 PM

I'm going to contradict myself here, but yeah, maybe a bot game or two would be a good way to get used to your champ's abilities and such before actually playing a competitive game (even if it's not ranked, normal games can still be frustrating when a person can't do the basics).

For example: Leblanc. Requires very good idea of what your main damage combo is (btw it's Q+R+W), but not only that, what different combinations of moves could help you in other circumstances (like for example W+R+flash = 3 flashes for getting the hell out of a gank, E+R can tie down two enemies instead of just 1, etc). I wouldn't expect a person to be able to know the countless combos, but knowing for example your MAIN damage combo should be something you take to your first normal match before mastering everything else.

...And then there's the "game basics" which don't really depend on your champion (ie, last hitting, warding, etc)

Emperor Kefka 01-20-2013 11:46 PM

What I always do, and I did this when I first invested in Irelia, was spectate a bunch of games. Most games you can spectate in LoL are rather high elo so they (hopefully) know what they're doing. Watch their patterns and what they do so you can have an idea on how to use the champ.

PrfsrChaos 01-21-2013 12:19 AM

Another way that people highly underestimate when looking for new champs is looking at champs that have abilities that require similar mechanics.

For example:

Learning to effectively use Ezreal's Q + W combo is very similar to learning how to use Lux's Q + E combo. Both are firing skillshots in succession accurately. So if you play a lot of Ezreal and are good at him, maybe if you're looking for a AP mid, Lux might be a good idea.

I spent a long long time learning and playing Kayle well (one of my all time favorite champs) and she really helped me improve my single-targeting abilities because 3 of her 4 skills are single-targeting abilities.

So maybe looking at the skill sets of the champions you've played a lot of and choosing new champs based on that might help shorten those learning curves a little bit. But in the end, you'll likely want to try champs with completely different play styles. With those you just have to recognize that it's going to be a little bit longer before you're comfortable.

I play a lot of Kayle and Twitch and not a lot of what those two characters can do really helps me when it comes to learning how to play Olaf.