League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Question About MM? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3024320)

Conman0210 01-20-2013 10:52 AM

Question About MM?

1 Attachment(s)
So, my little brother just got into League, and I was watching his very first game on his account. Here are the results of his first game. My question is, why does MM even allow this to happen? Not only are the teams imbalanced, but they have a 4 man premade (of obvious smurfs but that's not really the point).

Panzerfaust 01-20-2013 11:00 AM

It's not easy to write a program that can detect someone's skill level before they play...

1) What did he select for his skill level?

2) Being a premade doesn't necessarily make them smurfs. My friends and I made a set of similar names when we first picked up this game; they weren't [term]____, but they were in the same category.

3) Being a smurf doesn't make you good. (A lot of them are actually bad, but they can sometimes beat players brand new to the game, so they make new accounts.)

4) 'Hate losing to noobs' on your side makes me think the enemy team wasn't the only one with smurfs.

5) The difference between level 1 and level 5 is something like 10-15 games? There's not a lot of difference between the average brand new player (assuming they've played the tutorial) and the average player with ~10 games under their belt.

TL;DR: reasons

DetrikXanthos 01-20-2013 11:03 AM

Well there really isn't a way to seperate the smurfs out of early level games like that since all you have to do is say you are a beginner when you first sign up. By level ten it usually balances out until then though going into PvP at a low level will usually end in a new player losing due to the lack of experience that the smurfs have.

Hairyhulk 01-20-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrinalHeart (Hozzászólás 33694425)
So, my little brother just got into League, and I was watching his very first game on his account. Here are the results of his first game. My question is, why does MM even allow this to happen? Not only are the teams imbalanced, but they have a 4 man premade (of obvious smurfs but that's not really the point).

Flawed system is flawed. Bad people taking advantages of the flawed system. Exploiting noobs for free wins. Happens everywhere in this game. Happens in other games. Happens in real life. Nothing is perfect, buttheads will exploit others and abuse flaws. Meh. Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and hit the 'Play Again' button.

TL;DR: Stuff happens, you gotta deal with it, people are bad.

Panzerfaust 01-20-2013 11:52 AM

Paraphrasing the above, 'I like to talk like I know what I'm talking about and am so much smarter than everyone else... yay for pretending to be better than I am!'

Hairyhulk 01-20-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panzerfaust (Hozzászólás 33696252)
Paraphrasing the above, 'I like to talk like I know what I'm talking about and am so much smarter than everyone else... yay for pretending to be better than I am!'

So is your post different in any way?

My post was genuine. I was trying to be honest while not sugar coating the truth. You yourself said it's hard to write a working program, and again you said that "bad people" smurf more often than good people.

My question is, why post something with no other intention then to incite a negative reaction? How are you affiliated with these forums?

Panzerfaust 01-20-2013 02:58 PM

To be perfectly blunt? We've had an influx of trolls lately, so I've gotten a bit short of temper. Yours is 'different' in that it straight up implies that Riot is too dumb and/or lazy come up with a better solution.

The issue isn't the system. The issue is the situation they're forced to try to minimize the frustration of with said system.

Tell me how they're supposed to know how good players are after 1-5 games. I'm not even talking about the code, or heck even a detailed outline. Give me the barest tip of the concept that would make such a thing feasible. Please, I'm not even sarcastic anymore, because that would absolutely make my month/year to learn that, and here of all places.

Hairyhulk 01-20-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panzerfaust (Hozzászólás 33702274)
To be perfectly blunt? We've had an influx of trolls lately, so I've gotten a bit short of temper. Yours is 'different' in that it straight up implies that Riot is too dumb and/or lazy come up with a better solution.

The issue isn't the system. The issue is the situation they're forced to try to minimize the frustration of with said system.

Tell me how they're supposed to know how good players are after 1-5 games. I'm not even talking about the code, or heck even a detailed outline. Give me the barest tip of the concept that would make such a thing feasible. Please, I'm not even sarcastic anymore, because that would absolutely make my month/year to learn that, and here of all places.

I'm sorry if I caused you grief in anyway. I wasn't trying to blame everything on Riot's matchmaking system (as bad as it is), I was trying to point out that in life not everything works out. It's nothing inherent to League of Legends. Bad people will find loopholes (in this case, 5 man premade smurfing) in things and exploit them.

Conman0210 01-20-2013 05:00 PM

That's exactly the point though. At such a low level, MM would have no way to properly match players by skill level, or Elo, so it should match it based off of summoner level, and definintely avoid putting premades against non-premades. At the very least, it should attempt to balance teams as best as possible within a few summoners level, and not have one team be overwhelmingly higher than the other. It isn't a huge deal anyway, but small things like this that are easily remedied can go a long way in helping new player retention.

My 2c anyway.

Sereg Anfaug 01-20-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrinalHeart (Hozzászólás 33694425)

It's his first game. The only thing matchmaker has to go on is whatever skill level he specified when asked at the start. How can you possibly blame matchmaker for this?

Maybe, as a more skilled player, you should be teaching him yourself? Or at least encouraging him to play bots until he learns what he's doing?

Edit: After looking at the screenshot, I noticed that the best player on the other team was the lowest level, and that everyone else was really low as well(not sure what 5P means, I assume 5+, but I also assume it's a low number since you used 5 rather then 20 or 30 or whatever[Edit: Oh, premade. And all level 5? What's the problem then?]). What exactly is the issue with matchmaker here?

I also noticed that your brother's itemization was ****ing horrible. You should really teach him before sending him into PvP with Gp10 annie. And what the hell is that other faerie charm doing there? What on earth...?