League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Who are the "must-have" champions before starting ranked? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3020368)

UgIierBetty 01-19-2013 11:50 AM

Who are the "must-have" champions before starting ranked?

I know that you need to be able to play multiple champions for each role if you want to have a chance at ranked. Could you tell me what champions/type of champions to learn to round out my skill sets?

Champions I have/play:

Mid
Have
LeBlanc
Annie
Cass
*Zyra
*Akali

Play (i.e. I've learned them, but haven't purchased yet
Eve
Ahri

Have
Akali
Nidalee

Jungle
Have
Amumu
Shaco

Play
Sejuani
Eve

ADC
Whoever is free. They're all basically the same (no offense anyone who plays them).

Support
Zyra
Sona
Nidalee

Okay, so it's pretty obvious I need more tanky/brusier-type champions.

Any recommendations?

adc 01-19-2013 11:51 AM

"They're all basically the same (no offense anyone who plays them)."

This is so wrong I'm not even going to bother trying to explain.

Emissary Of Gorz 01-19-2013 11:54 AM

lol ues all adc have the same purpose, but are nithing the same.

anyways should have
Shen
Malphite
amumu
Blitzcrank
Evelynn
Shaco

those are the big ones in ranked and even if you dont play them you should have them for trades for your team incase you are first pick

UgIierBetty 01-19-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD Bottom (Hozzászólás 33659910)
"They're all basically the same (no offense anyone who plays them)."

This is so wrong I'm not even going to bother trying to explain.

what I mean is that ADC champions are the easiest to play/learn. With one or two bot games you can play any of them well enough. I have purchased Ashe, and then I just play whoever is free.

adc 01-19-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UgIierBetty (Hozzászólás 33660363)
what I mean is that ADC champions are the easiest to play/learn. With one or two bot games you can play any of them well enough. I have purchased Ashe, and then I just play whoever is free.

Vayne is far harder to play than Caitlyn. Ezreal has a lot more skillshots that Graves.

Last hitting and such are mechanics you should know anyway - the kits of all the ADCs are different and things you have to learn. I'm quite good at Cait, Ezreal, Graves, and Vayne - but I couldn't play MF to save my life.

Gimpyloser 01-19-2013 12:13 PM

Obviously the more champions the better. It allows you to champ trade and counter pick your enemy, but honestly you could get buy with just buying a champion pack. Sadly you can't use a free champ in ranked if you don't own them, but a champion pack from the store will give you enough to atleast play whatever role you need. It isn't optimal and your elo will suffer, but I feel it is a misconception that you must be highly skilled with a huge champ/rune bank to play in ranked. You will be matched with people of the same elo, and having to few champs/runes will push you significantly down the elo ladder, but that doesn't mean you can't play it if that's what you enjoy. You just may have to play at 500 elo until you build your account up.

PogoPogoPogoPogo 01-19-2013 12:14 PM

You need to unlock some of the heavily banned champions like Malphite or Blitzcrank etc.

Whether or not you ever pick these champions up and play them is irrelevant. You need to be able to first pick them and trade to a teammate if a teammate wants one of these champions.

Also, you need to pick up and learn Jax.

EDIT: Also, you have no bruisers.

adc 01-19-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimpyloser (Hozzászólás 33660533)
Obviously the more champions the better. It allows you to champ trade and counter pick your enemy, but honestly you could get buy with just buying a champion pack. Sadly you can't use a free champ in ranked if you don't own them, but a champion pack from the store will give you enough to atleast play whatever role you need. It isn't optimal and your elo will suffer, but I feel it is a misconception that you must be highly skilled with a huge champ/rune bank to play in ranked. You will be matched with people of the same elo, and having to few champs/runes will push you significantly down the elo ladder, but that doesn't mean you can't play it if that's what you enjoy. You just may have to play at 500 elo until you build your account up.

What are you talking about? Yes you can use the free champions in ranked, even if you don't own them...

What's with the influx of people giving advice when they don't understand how something works?

Boagster 01-19-2013 12:15 PM

That still isn't true. I can play Ashe, Caitlyn, Draven and Sivir just fine, but I'm a horrible Ezreal player. They don't play the same and, while their job in teamfights is roughly the same, their execution in teamfights and their role outside of teamfights are very different.

My honest suggestion is to own all the champs you are comfortable with, as well as the flavor-of-the-month "OP" bans, so that you can trade them to those who might need them. Malphite, Amumu and Blitzcrank being the most obvious. Some will tell you Shen and Alistar.

Shen, in my opinion, is terribly easy to counter until you get to extremely high Elos, where various strategies beyond "teamfight after first turret falls" are more well understood. His global presence is what makes him dangerous in low Elo play, but it's easily avoidable if you just stay aware that he can show up at any time except when his ult is on CD.

Alistar, on the other hand, is inexplicably still banned. He was being banned in Season 2 because of his incredible ganks, but he can hardly make it out of the jungle alive in Pre-Season 3. As far as Support Alistar goes, he's not much different in lane presence than Taric or Leona.

Tucking Sits 01-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD Bottom (Hozzászólás 33660573)
What are you talking about? Yes you can use the free champions in ranked, even if you don't own them...

What's with the influx of people giving advice when they don't understand how something works?

I thought the patch in August took out the free champion rotation in ranked matches?