League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Computer look good enough to go? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3016616)

Kendrich 01-18-2013 10:40 AM

Computer look good enough to go?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ygCc

I was trying to make a computer that was around $800-850 and will run decently.
Things I normally do on the computer:
League of legends
Many random MMOs
and then Netflix, pandora and facebook haha
but I am also looking into getting Maya and practicing that too.
Hope that helps XD haha
Anything anyone wants to suggest or comment on? I'm fairly new to actually building my own computer so anything will be helpful, thanks!

Kvlt Kitty 01-18-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendrich (Hozzászólás 33623633)
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I was trying to make a computer that was around $800-850 and will run decently.
Things I normally do on the computer:
League of legends
Many random MMOs
and then Netflix, pandora and facebook haha
but I am also looking into getting Maya and practicing that too.
Hope that helps XD haha
Anything anyone wants to suggest or comment on? I'm fairly new to actually building my own computer so anything will be helpful, thanks!

No parts listed in the link
If you're looking at getting into 3d animation/modeling get the best video card you can afford
Rendering takes forever, and that's the most important thing in reducing render times

Kendrich 01-18-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvlt Kitty (Hozzászólás 33623824)
No parts listed in the link
If you're looking at getting into 3d animation/modeling get the best video card you can afford
Rendering takes forever, and that's the most important thing in reducing render times

There we go haha i swore i had that link copied right XD
its fixed now :P
thanks!

Kvlt Kitty 01-18-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendrich (Hozzászólás 33623878)
There we go haha i swore i had that link copied right XD
its fixed now :P
thanks!

If you are going to do heavy rendering I'd recommend a video card with more memory. But if you're just a beginner this should be fine.

Other than that I'd push for an Intel MOBO and CPU. I've just had more problems with AMD cpu's in the past honestly. Maybe they've solved these problems now, but I'm pretty loyal to Intel at this point.

Everything I am saying costs more though, but this should run whatever games you want just fine.
Except LoL. But I don't think anything can run that on max yet

Worstcase 01-18-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvlt Kitty (Hozzászólás 33624006)
Other than that I'd push for an Intel MOBO and CPU. I've just had more problems with AMD cpu's in the past honestly. Maybe they've solved these problems now, but I'm pretty loyal to Intel at this point.

The motherboard doesn't necessarily have to be, it depends on the Chipset you're looking for. An i5-3XXX will cost more yes, but personally I would recommend it over an AMD for a number of reasons. Better drivers, runs cooler, runs on less, overall better performance.

Kvlt Kitty 01-18-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worstcase (Hozzászólás 33624323)
The motherboard doesn't necessarily have to be, it depends on the Chipset you're looking for. An i5-3XXX will cost more yes, but personally I would recommend it over an AMD for a number of reasons. Better drivers, runs cooler, runs on less, overall better performance.

Yeah, just more reliable. And I've run into problems when I had an AMD processor on certain games.

Plus, Intel made the supercomputer that beat a Grandmaster at chess. That just kinda shows that they pwn haha

Peaceful Angel 01-18-2013 12:18 PM

For 800 dollars this will be perfect for anything you need. AMD and Intel are identical in performance. AMD is cheaper for one reason, that is advertising. How many AMD commercials do you see? I have not seen one yet and I do enjoy a fair amount of television series'. Intel however seems to have one or two I see every week. Commercials are not cheap to put on TV and this is a big marketing scheme for Intel to hike up the price and sell more product. As someone said, AMD run's hotter, so you will have to spend money on a fairly good cooler for it. I bought mine from PCUSA.com and it cost $650 three years ago, it was a Quad Core AMD 2.8 or 2.9GHz Phenom II with a 9500 GT NVIDIA card, 6 GB of Ram and then I bought the worst fan available on the site for money reasons, the site only has good products but it spins at about 6500 RPM if I am playing any graphic intense game and that is about equivalent to a jet engine when I am trying to hear sound without waking up the family at night. But overall I would much more prefer to spend 300 dollars on a fan and spend 600 dollars less on an equivalent processor. Those just being taken as numbers as a fan should not be that expensive, yet Intel does host up their product fairly high.

For computer it is not a straight line multiplication for GHz but I believe you listed it at 3.5 GHz six core. Don't care what amount of GHz the I5 is, I believe I5's only went up to quad core, which means it will never be able to keep up with 6 cores. The i7 laptop I have now is a dual core 3.9 GHz, it runs a little slower than my quad core AMD computer. The comparison is estimated at about 3.9 x 2 being 7.8 to 2.8 x 4 being 9.2. The intel cores can hold more information in each one meaning they don't have to switch between cores as frequently as a multiple core, but it will not make up for the extra GHz. If you want more performance you want more Cores. Only when they are equal cores do you really have to worry about the GHz.

Tragalo 01-18-2013 03:58 PM

Change the video card. For that price u can get an HD 7950 which will COMPLETELY DESTROY IT. If you MUST go nvidia gtx 670. For a buck more get 1600mhz ram. Also that case doesn't have a USB 3.0 header

SummerDaze 01-18-2013 04:30 PM

I agree with Tragalo, for that money the 7950 and GTX 670 would be way better buys. Or if you really want an i5 and Z77 mobo you can drop to an HD 7850/HD 7870 save ~$120 and get an i5-3570k or something of the like.

Postal Twinkie 01-18-2013 05:01 PM

Man, once again so much misinformation in a computer thread.

First, please don't listen to what Peaceful Angel has said. Not to be a jerk here, but I have to point out that it is completely wrong.

AMD and Intel are not on the same level of performance, Intel flat out beats anything and everything AMD has. Intel is simply more expensive, so you must weight the pros and cons and how they pertain your specific needs. Secondly, AMD doesn't run hotter than Intel, it is the opposite, by a pretty large margin. In general you do not want to go beyond 55c on AMD, Intel you can actually approach 90c with Ivy Bridge.

In terms of more general performance, AMD completely falls off when you reach the i5 3570K/2500K processors, they can't compete. More cores doesn't translate into anything tangible, unless you have absolutely identical IPC and the scenario will utilize a multitude of threads. Since this isn't the case, as AMD's IPC is still behind even Intel's Sandy Bridge, you can't just say "More cores is better!!".

As for the system you have listed, there isn't any reason to purchase a 570, especially at that cost. They can be found used online for well under $200. At the price point you are at with that 570 you can almost purchase an AMD 7970, they run about $380, the fastest single GPU video card on the market.

EDIT: Here is a system that would put the boot to what you have by a large margin...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.75 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $825.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
[i](Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-18 21:14 EST-0500)[/i

Option two, next step up in video card to the 7970, a little out of your said budget, but just an idea.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.75 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $897.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-18 21:16 EST-0500)

Just to drive this home further; the system you have in your link has absolutely no chance of keeping up with either one of the two above systems.