League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Attention all new players, Quit the Call of Duty mindset (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3016601)

Togekiss24 01-18-2013 10:33 AM

Attention all new players, Quit the Call of Duty mindset

To explain this thread which, hopefully, you are about to read, I just felt like getting this off my chest as this is a common occurrence in low-level games and it appears there are too many people in the low-level community that play this game improperly. To start, I'm not going to say stuff like "YOU ARE AP GO MID NOOOOB" or stuff like that, because honestly you can win even if you don't completely follow the meta. What I'm mainly here to describe is the mindset of these low-level players, as witnessed beforehand through my smurf account and past experience being a low-level player myself, and helping them break this mindset.

I swear, the players below level 25 play this game as if it's a free-for-all, akin to something like Call of Duty, which is why I am going to use the phrase "Call of Duty Mindset." I'll be comparing that game to LoL quite a bit here.

Lets start with the basics, what is League of Legends about?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tutorial
Destroy the enemy nexus

... THAT'S IT! Of course there is a catch: The turrets and the inhibitor are there to protect this nexus, and you must destroy them first to reach the nexus. There is yet another catch, champions, or the other player. They aren't going to let you waltz up to their towers and get to their nexus, now would they? You oftentimes need to take out the champion in order to get to the tower, which is needed to get to that inhibitor, to get to the nexus.

Lets note the order I mentioned these objectives. Nexus > Towers/Inhib > Champions. Your top priority should be to get to that nexus. Can't get to it yet? then push a lane to weaken or take down a tower. EVERYTHING ELSE in this game is a secondary objective.

Now lets compare that to a game like Call of Duty. You win if you end up with the highest points (typically kill/death ratio). In LoL, you win by destroying that nexus, now how are these two games similar in ANY way? Because for some reason, the low ELO or n00blords think that the objective of Call of Duty is what matters in this LoL. People point the blame on others based on their Kill/Death ratios (not even assists?) and cry even more when their score is positive yet they lose the match. They care about it so much that they will cry "KS!" to whoever "steals" their kills, which brings up my next point:

QUIT CARING ABOUT KILL-STEALING!

Remember the real objective: Destroy the nexus. If the champ is dead, then their nexus/towers/inhibitors are unprotected, which means you can spend the time that they are dead taking any one of them! Other than gaining some extra gold, that should be the ONLY reason why you want to kill other players. It is more of a tactic to whittle down the defenses of their team than it is to gratify a single person. If someone, "takes" your kill, just laugh it off, and farm-up the minion wave and push to their towers. The key to doing well in this game is to put your egos aside, seriously.

While we are talking about kills, lets talk about death. In games like Call of Duty, when you die, you have an approx. 5-7 second respawn time, lose some of your cool weapons, and your self-esteem gets hurt a little. In League of legends, you have a 10-35 second respawn time depending on your level, you have no access to the experience and gold from minion kills, the enemy champion has free reign in the lane to push and weaken your tower, or better yet take that tower all together and lose map control for your team, and during that time you are banging your head on your keyboard dropping f-bombs because there was nothing you could do about any of that.

...Woah what!? That's a LOT of cons over pros for a death in LoL compared to CoD. That is precisely the reason why a lot of people in high levels almost NEVER get into that bot/top lane brush at the beginning of the match, or go into the enemy jungle to invade without the backup of their team, or over-extend in mid lane to kite opposing players from their tower. First of all you have no minion back-up for protection during that phase of the game, but second and most importantly is that it is too damn risky! The bush doesn't allow you to target the champions that are hiding in it, so if you wander into that thicket with no vision because you want "easy first blood" (quote taken from a low-level player here), and die because the other two morons camped at the edge and dished out way more damage than you could return, to the point that you die, then you deserved it, you were not playing safe, and now their team has a gold lead over yours. Happy about your first blood hunger now?

Not dying in LoL is of WAY more importance than getting kills. A person who is 0/0/1 is actually doing a lot better than someone who is 0/15/2, even someone who is 0/2/24 is better than that, because they are at least getting assists to keep up with the team in gold. Your deaths simply means way too much in this game for you to be careless about it. When you notice you are going 0/2 in a lane and your opponent is 2/0, that's the time to change tactics. Play passively, farm from your tower and don't get in to huge engagements with your opponent until someone comes to help you gank your lane or you get to your opponent's level. If you noticed from your 0/30 death-streak games, it is ridiculously hard to take out your opponents once they are fed, and thus even harder to get to their towers and complete your PRIMARY OBJECTIVE (hint: it involves the enemy nexus). So stop dying!

Now you might ask, "how do I stop dying?" I gave you the solution of playing passively, but to be honest, it doesn't always work, depending on the champion matchup. But of course, you can get your other teammates to help you out by ganking the lane or switching, right? Too bad barely anyone does this at low levels and just herp and durr in their lanes, or they cry out "NOOB FEEDUR REPOT PLZ GO UNINSTALL ASDFKL;" instead of actually doing anything to help.

League of Legends is a team game. The key to winning any team game is to coordinate with your team. That is why, no matter how much my team mate pisses me off, I NEVER put them on mute. You need communication in this game, and you need to LISTEN to communication. If someone uses a ping, you know, that sharp little sound that you complain is so annoying, it should signal YOU to LOOK AT THE MINIMAP.

People, excluding trolls, ping for a reason. They are warning you of someone's presence or absence. They are directing the team to go to a certain area so that they could have assistance. They are leading your team, and don't be ashamed of that, either. Remember when I said you need to put your ego aside to win this game? Chat serves similar functions, too. Listen for that "click" sound that signifies a new message. Even if the message is not too important, you want to make sure you aren't missing out on ANY information. Get good with communication and even if you aren't the most skilled player in this game, your chances of winning and not dying are significantly increased if you and your team communicates with one another.

So to recap: Remember your true priority (DESTROY THE NEXUS!!!1), stop giving craps about kills, DO YOUR BEST NOT TO DIE, and communicate with your team. League of Legends is much more of a strategy game than it is a free-for-all kill everything game. Do research on strategies of this game on your own, learn the proper way for this game to be played, and ditch the Call of Duty mindset.

Rooster DWSF 01-18-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Togekiss24 (Hozzászólás 33623402)
To explain this thread which, hopefully, you are about to read, I just felt like getting this off my chest as this is a common occurrence in low-level games and it appears there are too many people in the low-level community that play this game improperly. To start, I'm not going to say stuff like "YOU ARE AP GO MID NOOOOB" or stuff like that, because honestly you can win even if you don't completely follow the meta. What I'm mainly here to describe is the mindset of these low-level players, as witnessed beforehand through my smurf account and past experience being a low-level player myself, and helping them break this mindset.

I swear, the players below level 25 play this game as if it's a free-for-all, akin to something like Call of Duty, which is why I am going to use the phrase "Call of Duty Mindset." I'll be comparing that game to LoL quite a bit here.

Lets start with the basics, what is League of Legends about?

... THAT'S IT! Of course there is a catch: The turrets and the inhibitor are there to protect this nexus, and you must destroy them first to reach the nexus. There is yet another catch, champions, or the other player. They aren't going to let you waltz up to their towers and get to their nexus, now would they? You oftentimes need to take out the champion in order to get to the tower, which is needed to get to that inhibitor, to get to the nexus.

Lets note the order I mentioned these objectives. Nexus > Towers/Inhib > Champions. Your top priority should be to get to that nexus. Can't get to it yet? then push a lane to weaken or take down a tower. EVERYTHING ELSE in this game is a secondary objective.

Now lets compare that to a game like Call of Duty. You win if you end up with the highest points (typically kill/death ratio). In LoL, you win by destroying that nexus, now how are these two games similar in ANY way? Because for some reason, the low ELO or n00blords think that the objective of Call of Duty is what matters in this LoL. People point the blame on others based on their Kill/Death ratios (not even assists?) and cry even more when their score is positive yet they lose the match. They care about it so much that they will cry "KS!" to whoever "steals" their kills, which brings up my next point:

QUIT CARING ABOUT KILL-STEALING!

Remember the real objective: Destroy the nexus. If the champ is dead, then their nexus/towers/inhibitors are unprotected, which means you can spend the time that they are dead taking any one of them! Other than gaining some extra gold, that should be the ONLY reason why you want to kill other players. It is more of a tactic to whittle down the defenses of their team than it is to gratify a single person. If someone, "takes" your kill, just laugh it off, and farm-up the minion wave and push to their towers. The key to doing well in this game is to put your egos aside, seriously.

While we are talking about kills, lets talk about death. In games like Call of Duty, when you die, you have an approx. 5-7 second respawn time, lose some of your cool weapons, and your self-esteem gets hurt a little. In League of legends, you have a 10-35 second respawn time depending on your level, you have no access to the experience and gold from minion kills, the enemy champion has free reign in the lane to push and weaken your tower, or better yet take that tower all together and lose map control for your team, and during that time you are banging your head on your keyboard dropping f-bombs because there was nothing you could do about any of that.

...Woah what!? That's a LOT of cons over pros for a death in LoL compared to CoD. That is precisely the reason why a lot of people in high levels almost NEVER get into that bot/top lane brush at the beginning of the match, or go into the enemy jungle to invade without the backup of their team, or over-extend in mid lane to kite opposing players from their tower. First of all you have no minion back-up for protection during that phase of the game, but second and most importantly is that it is too damn risky! The bush doesn't allow you to target the champions that are hiding in it, so if you wander into that thicket with no vision because you want "easy first blood" (quote taken from a low-level player here), and die because the other two morons camped at the edge and dished out way more damage than you could return, to the point that you die, then you deserved it, you were not playing safe, and now their team has a gold lead over yours. Happy about your first blood hunger now?

Not dying in LoL is of WAY more importance than getting kills. A person who is 0/0/1 is actually doing a lot better than someone who is 0/15/2, even someone who is 0/2/24 is better than that, because they are at least getting assists to keep up with the team in gold. Your deaths simply means way too much in this game for you to be careless about it. When you notice you are going 0/2 in a lane and your opponent is 2/0, that's the time to change tactics. Play passively, farm from your tower and don't get in to huge engagements with your opponent until someone comes to help you gank your lane or you get to your opponent's level. If you noticed from your 0/30 death-streak games, it is ridiculously hard to take out your opponents once they are fed, and thus even harder to get to their towers and complete your PRIMARY OBJECTIVE (hint: it involves the enemy nexus). So stop dying!

Now you might ask, "how do I stop dying?" I gave you the solution of playing passively, but to be honest, it doesn't always work, depending on the champion matchup. But of course, you can get your other teammates to help you out by ganking the lane or switching, right? Too bad barely anyone does this at low levels and just herp and durr in their lanes, or they cry out "NOOB FEEDUR REPOT PLZ GO UNINSTALL ASDFKL;" instead of actually doing anything to help.

League of Legends is a team game. The key to winning any team game is to coordinate with your team. That is why, no matter how much my team mate pisses me off, I NEVER put them on mute. You need communication in this game, and you need to LISTEN to communication. If someone uses a ping, you know, that sharp little sound that you complain is so annoying, it should signal YOU to LOOK AT THE MINIMAP.

People, excluding trolls, ping for a reason. They are warning you of someone's presence or absence. They are directing the team to go to a certain area so that they could have assistance. They are leading your team, and don't be ashamed of that, either. Remember when I said you need to put your ego aside to win this game? Chat serves similar functions, too. Listen for that "click" sound that signifies a new message. Even if the message is not too important, you want to make sure you aren't missing out on ANY information. Get good with communication and even if you aren't the most skilled player in this game, your chances of winning and not dying are significantly increased if you and your team communicates with one another.

So to recap: Remember your true priority (DESTROY THE NEXUS!!!1), stop giving craps about kills, DO YOUR BEST NOT TO DIE, and communicate with your team. League of Legends is much more of a strategy game than it is a free-for-all kill everything game. Do research on strategies of this game on your own, learn the proper way for this game to be played, and ditch the Call of Duty mindset.

Well said these are the exact thoughts I have. I also want to add in the scattering sometimes the team gets so scattered you have to stop where you are at to tell them to regroup or give directions. Sometimes especially when pushing mid everybody just breaks apart and goes top and bottom and mid is just left with 2 people to push against 5 enemies. Just doesn't make sense.

ThatONeillGuy 01-18-2013 12:51 PM

Oh, man. The CoD players. It seems like I'm always getting cries of "KSSSSSSS!" even when I did most of the damage (not that it matters either way). And then those same players will turn around and b after a successful team fight without even taking a tower, when we could easily have had an inhib if everyone pushed together.

Like you said, it's a team game, and an objective-based one at that. Kills can help, but they don't win games on their own. I went 15-2-22 in a recent game and lost. Why? Because the enemy team blew up our Nexus before we could blow up theirs. Simple as that.

One thing I disagree on is, there are times I'll mute. Communication is important, but if a teammate has nothing useful to say (like this Xin Zhao who just bragged that he was so much better than the rest of us despite being 9-9, whined about ks, and kept yelling at me to use my ult when it was on cooldown), then I mute them to keep from losing my own cool.

I also really wish people would learn to farm under turrets when they're disadvantaged in lane, instead of continuing to make futile--and fatal--efforts to kill their lane opponents. Wait until team fights to get your revenge, guys.

I know I link him a lot, but I really do think gbay99's videos are excellent for teaching you to change your LoL mindset.

Lrocenahs 01-18-2013 01:02 PM

I agree 100%. I would gladly team up and play with anyone who adopts this as their philosophy.

WastedZeus 01-18-2013 01:27 PM

Nice info. Funny to because when I hear someone complain about KSing in my game I tell them this isn't CoD, lol.

Goliath Allou 01-18-2013 01:36 PM

excellent Post bro +1 :)

Togekiss24 01-18-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatONeillGuy (Hozzászólás 33627792)
I know I link him a lot, but I really do think gbay99's videos are excellent for teaching you to change your LoL mindset.

I watched his vids before and I have to agree. I personally learned a lot just by watching his vids.

On the subject of ignoring, it's funny cause I just watched gbay's vid on using the ignore/mute button and while I agree with him on many points, I still feel, personally, that I should never leave myself unprepared. Yes, watching smack talk in chat leaves a lot of temptation to lash back and hurt your chances of winning even harder, but to that I feel the best solution is simply not to respond to insults and keep focusing on the task at hand.

ThatONeillGuy 01-18-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Togekiss24 (Hozzászólás 33629785)
I watched his vids before and I have to agree. I personally learned a lot just by watching his vids.

On the subject of ignoring, it's funny cause I just watched gbay's vid on using the ignore/mute button and while I agree with him on many points, I still feel, personally, that I should never leave myself unprepared. Yes, watching smack talk in chat leaves a lot of temptation to lash back and hurt your chances of winning even harder, but to that I feel the best solution is simply not to respond to insults and keep focusing on the task at hand.

Yeah, it all comes down to personal choice, I think. I tend to get resentful and distracted by that kind of toxic chat, which can make me less inclined to cooperate even with my good teammates. If not using the ignore button works better for you, then by all means, keep doing what you do.

Monkoton 01-18-2013 02:38 PM

dude can I play with you on your smurf account. I lost the past 9 games even though I was doing fine but it was due to other people like that going in for the kill. And random disconnects.

coheedrocks72 01-18-2013 03:12 PM

OMG i HATE the people that cry out KS KS KS. Like it ****ing matters. Everybody in that area is going to get some experience for that kill no matter what. I hate when people play support and decide to push when i am at our spawn buying stuff and then say hey where are you at why didnt you help me