League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Music Tastes and My Experience (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3015117)

Peaceful Angel 01-17-2013 09:19 PM

Music Tastes and My Experience

I am making this thread about music and my opinion of genre's, explaining what points I listened to each type in my life, which I prefer, why I believe what I believe, and questions about other peoples opinions and feelings toward music. I really want to know what emotional connection/feeling you attain from types of music.

I do not mean to offend anyone's music tastes as I am bringing them up to just speak about them musically and question your taste. When I was a child my family listened to really folk music country, or else country rock/classical music. I grew up on this, and at about the age of 8 I switched to other artists in hip hop, such as D12, Lil Jon, Ludacris. My friend's dad had always played loud rock/hard rock bands, such as Crossfade, Breaking Benjamin, Nickelback, Pantera. I loved the songs he played but never bother to ask who the bands were. The main songs I recall were How You Remind Me - Nickelback, So Cold - Crossfade, Cold -Breaking Benjamin. These songs when I hear them currently bring me back to my early childhood and doing "kid stuff" in the background. I still love the songs and keep them in all my playlists.
I went through my 4th-8th grade based around hip-hop and rap. I loved Eminem and will always have respect for him. I used to get annoyed as friends hated rap by claiming it was not "music", but now my own views toward rap and hip hop have changed now. I see myself agreeing with them from a music stand point. I believe Rap is a form of poetry, it tells a story but musically it is not music. I will still listen to rap and respect it, it will remain on my iPod; but I will not consider it music as it does not touch me on the same way that any other genre makes me feel.
Well after my rap/hip hop phase, I moved toward the band Nickelback, I respect their sounds of basically defining normal rock. They may not be original but they are quite talented for the genre they are playing, they are not outgoing, but they are not about all the drama other bands go through. Oh this band is on Hiatus because they have been fighting, they are angry because people steal their music, they are heavy supporters of blah blah. They are just rock and will always make music that sounds like it always has. This band had opened my mind to move toward rock and to expand these tastes.
My next movement from rock was to the band Metallica, I will admit that as a child when I heard anything about the band Metallica, it was usually "Is this Metallica?" I believed that was a genre. I thought it went Soft Rock, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Metallica. If that isn't the most genius name for a band ever created, then I don't know what is. Well in reality I don't believe Metallica fits the definition for most metal now-a-days as they actually have talent when it comes to vocals. I loved metal but the singer needs to actually be able to do their job which is "sing" If you like thrashing of the drums/guitars/bass and don't care if your singer doesn't know what he's doing, great. But I prefer all members to be up to pace if they are being paid to do it. I started listening to Metallica honestly because of the game Guitar Hero and the song One, it made me listen to other slow songs from them.
I moved from this band to Seether and Flyleaf, Flyleaf currently is my favorite band and even though Lacey was the reason I was attracted to them, I still have hope they will last with her replacement. I still hold hope for her to return. Well I heard Seether Live and it was an outstanding experience, I have moved to the artist Trevor Hall which is my favorite artist tied with my favorite band of Flyleaf. Trevor Hall is a moderately popular Reggae artist, I love his vocals, his acoustic guitar and the other unorthodox instruments that are played in the song. These being bongos, things that aren't in typical popular music. Well I place these two at the top currently.
Well I have changed through these genres and to myself I have always loved songs from games such as Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts. I never listened to them exclusively until recently, but while trying to find all of the songs I liked in the game Final Fantasy XIII, upon searching I heard a fan-made song, the thing was, I didn't realize it was fan-made. It sounded like it fit in FFX, I put it on my iPod and listened to it for half a year before I came back to YouTube and found out it was fan made. It blew me away by how I actually placed that and it still remains as my 3rd favorite song of all time. It is a song which is fully piano made. Songs like the themes of FFX FFIX FFXIII FFX-2 and FFXIII-2 have always been great and I have usually AFKed at the title screen for hours to just listen to this on repeat while I did something else in the background. Well by hearing that this was song was actually made by a single person and knowing it was inspired by a game made me in awe. I still get goosebumps every time I hear this song, and it has inspired me to learn to play the piano as I have began learning To Zanarkand and have practiced an hour-two each day by just watching YouTube tutorials. It is my first instrument and I am going slow but am happy with my progress. Getting off topic now, but to move back onto topic. I have never been as pleased with music as I have with the piano. I get goosebumps to nearly every good song. I have noticed I prefer high key to low key as they seem to be much more peaceful. Well I can't compare any feeling of any genre to the euphoric feeling I attain from listening to piano songs/Final Fantasy songs.
Do people get this euphoric feeling from other genre's such as metal, or jazz? Any genre would be great to know. I especially want to know about Rap, I get absolutely no feeling from Rap and wonder if other people can actually be inspired by any type of rap or if that is really just poetry to most.

Fujiou 01-17-2013 09:24 PM

If you like piano, listen to Debussy.

Jazz and classical are legit. You should look into 90s rock too.

Jesus the Friend 01-17-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peaceful Angel (Hozzászólás 33607762)
I am making this thread about music and my opinion of genre's, explaining what points I listened to each type in my life, which I prefer, why I believe what I believe, and questions about other peoples opinions and feelings toward music. I really want to know what emotional connection/feeling you attain from types of music.I do not mean to offend anyone's music tastes as I am bringing them up to just speak about them musically and question your taste. When I was a child my family listened to really folk music country, or else country rock/classical music. I grew up on this, and at about the age of 8 I switched to other artists in hip hop, such as D12, Lil Jon, Ludacris. My friend's dad had always played loud rock/hard rock bands, such as Crossfade, Breaking Benjamin, Nickelback, Pantera. I loved the songs he played but never bother to ask who the bands were. The main songs I recall were How You Remind Me - Nickelback, So Cold - Crossfade, Cold -Breaking Benjamin. These songs when I hear them currently bring me back to my early childhood and doing "kid stuff" in the background. I still love the songs and keep them in all my playlists.I went through my 4th-8th grade based around hip-hop and rap. I loved Eminem and will always have respect for him. I used to get annoyed as friends hated rap by claiming it was not "music", but now my own views toward rap and hip hop have changed now. I see myself agreeing with them from a music stand point. I believe Rap is a form of poetry, it tells a story but musically it is not music. I will still listen to rap and respect it, it will remain on my iPod; but I will not consider it music as it does not touch me on the same way that any other genre makes me feel.Well after my rap/hip hop phase, I moved toward the band Nickelback, I respect their sounds of basically defining normal rock. They may not be original but they are quite talented for the genre they are playing, they are not outgoing, but they are not about all the drama other bands go through. Oh this band is on Hiatus because they have been fighting, they are angry because people steal their music, they are heavy supporters of blah blah. They are just rock and will always make music that sounds like it always has. This band had opened my mind to move toward rock and to expand these tastes.My next movement from rock was to the band Metallica, I will admit that as a child when I heard anything about the band Metallica, it was usually "Is this Metallica?" I believed that was a genre. I thought it went Soft Rock, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Metallica. If that isn't the most genius name for a band ever created, then I don't know what is. Well in reality I don't believe Metallica fits the definition for most metal now-a-days as they actually have talent when it comes to vocals. I loved metal but the singer needs to actually be able to do their job which is "sing" If you like thrashing of the drums/guitars/bass and don't care if your singer doesn't know what he's doing, great. But I prefer all members to be up to pace if they are being paid to do it. I started listening to Metallica honestly because of the game Guitar Hero and the song One, it made me listen to other slow songs from them.I moved from this band to Seether and Flyleaf, Flyleaf currently is my favorite band and even though Lacey was the reason I was attracted to them, I still have hope they will last with her replacement. I still hold hope for her to return. Well I heard Seether Live and it was an outstanding experience, I have moved to the artist Trevor Hall which is my favorite artist tied with my favorite band of Flyleaf. Trevor Hall is a moderately popular Reggae artist, I love his vocals, his acoustic guitar and the other unorthodox instruments that are played in the song. These being bongos, things that aren't in typical popular music. Well I place these two at the top currently.Well I have changed through these genres and to myself I have always loved songs from games such as Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts. I never listened to them exclusively until recently, but while trying to find all of the songs I liked in the game Final Fantasy XIII, upon searching I heard a fan-made song, the thing was, I didn't realize it was fan-made. It sounded like it fit in FFX, I put it on my iPod and listened to it for half a year before I came back to YouTube and found out it was fan made. It blew me away by how I actually placed that and it still remains as my 3rd favorite song of all time. It is a song which is fully piano made. Songs like the themes of FFX FFIX FFXIII FFX-2 and FFXIII-2 have always been great and I have usually AFKed at the title screen for hours to just listen to this on repeat while I did something else in the background. Well by hearing that this was song was actually made by a single person and knowing it was inspired by a game made me in awe. I still get goosebumps every time I hear this song, and it has inspired me to learn to play the piano as I have began learning To Zanarkand and have practiced an hour-two each day by just watching YouTube tutorials. It is my first instrument and I am going slow but am happy with my progress. Getting off topic now, but to move back onto topic. I have never been as pleased with music as I have with the piano. I get goosebumps to nearly every good song. I have noticed I prefer high key to low key as they seem to be much more peaceful. Well I can't compare any feeling of any genre to the euphoric feeling I attain from listening to piano songs/Final Fantasy songs.Do people get this euphoric feeling from other genre's such as metal, or jazz? Any genre would be great to know. I especially want to know about Rap, I get absolutely no feeling from Rap and wonder if other people can actually be inspired by any type of rap or if that is really just poetry to most.

Wall of text strikes YOU for 9,176 points of damage!

Peaceful Angel 01-17-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend (Hozzászólás 33607935)
Wall of text strikes YOU for 9,176 points of damage!

Random comment hits for a total of 29 damage as you had Irrelevant Comment Resistance of 2100 blocking 99.8% of damage. Maybe you should read before you comment..

Peaceful Angel 01-17-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fujiou (Hozzászólás 33607898)
If you like piano, listen to Debussy.

Jazz and classical are legit. You should look into 90s rock too.

Was just find of questioning if you got touched by music such as my feelings from the piano.

c4lm 01-17-2013 09:59 PM

I hope this dude is trolling

Fujiou 01-17-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Campir (Hozzászólás 33608961)
I hope this dude is trolling

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he is 14.

Peaceful Angel 01-17-2013 10:09 PM

Mhm, that sounds about right. Good analysis of statements. I didn't realize nerds of LoL can judge nerds of Final Fantasy. Eventually you reach the age where you don't care about opinions of online "randoms" (about the age of 15) and are capable of asking and answering a simple question. You can easily dodge the bull that other people want to post and wait for mature people to comment. I will continue my wait for that moment as I dodge these trolling comments. I have said my love for all types of music and if you don't feel this euphoric feeling from music I am indeed sorry for you and hope that you have something in your life that gives you such passion as the piano to me.

And once you post your comments about how you aren't a "nerd". You are hanging around in the off-topic section in League of Legends opposed to Facebook which most people do. I have came here looking for similar people opposed to going to my friends as they have not felt my feeling toward music.

Fujiou 01-17-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peaceful Angel (Hozzászólás 33609253)
Mhm, that sounds about right. Good analysis of statements. I didn't realize nerds of LoL can judge nerds of Final Fantasy. Eventually you reach the age where you don't care about opinions of online "randoms" and are capable of asking a simple question. You can easily dodge the bull that other people want to post and wait for mature people to comment. I will continue my wait for that moment as I dodge these trolling comments.

We were talking about your music taste. It's pretty much preteencore.

Peaceful Angel 01-17-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fujiou (Hozzászólás 33609307)
We were talking about your music taste. It's pretty much preteencore.

Errr, that is just fine. That wasn't what I was asking. I don't care what age my music tastes are in lol. I am asking if other people feel as good about other types of music as I do about mine. I did expect you to read before commenting. You can just keep down-voting my comments all you want. I guess you are opposed to me responding to you.. Probably not the right place to be if you didn't expect people to converse with.. As I claimed, music of all genre's in my life are much more eccentric than what other friend's describe, was wondering if some people are capable of enjoying other genres of music as much as I prefer the piano. If you don't then probably just mosey on to the next topic as it may be more on topic for what you were looking for. Not wanting to be trolled anymore.