League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 14

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I may watch the news too much... (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3004054)

Shirtl0l 01-15-2013 09:12 AM

I may watch the news too much...

... But the gun debate and how passionately the majority of people seem to feel it necessary to be a pull of a trigger away from actually killing someone to defend their oh-so-eventful civilian lives before they can feel safe in suburbia disturbs me.

I feel the more people who believe in the heinous "kill or be killed" motto the more lost our species becomes and the more we prove ourselves deserving of an extinction level event.

In a nutshell that about sums up the majority of my ideals on the subject.

I don't know who would even want to talk about this with an open mind, so I put the burden on you random League of Legends players.

lukertin 01-15-2013 10:11 AM

Dude two people have been stabbed to death in my city, near a place I go through all the time whenever I go out with my friends to the bars. I do not feel safe.

Shirtl0l 01-15-2013 11:18 AM

No... but you think a murderer using a knife is going to give you the chance to pull out a gun before he stabs you? Probably not if he wants to get away with it.

Arming good people with guns to fight bad people with guns is only making another step towards destruction rather than peace. I'm not a religious person but Jesus did say something like turn the other cheek which I think applies here and is a good principle.

Everyone dies... It doesn't make sense to be afraid of what fashion that it happens. If there is a consciousness after this one do you think you would care about how you died in your last life? It wouldn't be important... And if there isn't, it never mattered...

I've actually had a gun held to my head by someone who was berserk... I only thought, am I going to die now? Is this it? I thought I would be scared if I was ever actually in a deadly situation, but I wasn't.

poe tay toes 01-15-2013 11:21 AM

It's not about feeling safe because I'm "one trigger pull away from killing" (never been anywhere near that close to shooting someone, do you picture people sitting in the dark fondling their guns?). It's about bring properly equipped should the need arise. It's a reminder of the cost of our liberties. It's a symbol of the empowerment and equality of or citizenry. The sickening thing to me is how eager many politicians are to equate rational law abiding citizens to demented child murderers (all for or own good, of choose).

Note the hypocrisy next time one of them gives a speech about how guns aren't needed. They are surrounded by teams of men better armed than your average citizen. If they aren't willing to lead by example, why should we be compelled to follow?

Worstcase 01-15-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirtl0l (Hozzászólás 33501119)
Arming good people with guns to fight bad people with guns is only making another step towards destruction rather than peace.

So what would you propose we do in order to ensure that good people are capable of fighting the bad people? Remember in the UK there are no guns as per the law, yet such murders do still happen. I do not see a better alternative means of fighting guns then with guns.

Shirtl0l 01-15-2013 11:41 AM

If someone is out to kill you, you almost certainly got yourself into that mess. If all they want is your stuff, give them your stuff. Do you really want to live with yourself after you killed someone that was only desperate for your plasma screen or whatever? If yes, you're the type of scary person that should not own a gun.

Cost of your liberties? Equality of citizenry? I fail to see how having a gun is necessary for, or has any relevancy to any of that. And after how the citizens of this country have proven ourselves reckless with this PRIVILEGE, handed down to us from a day when people needed to hunt to survive, that it be revoked.

Mentioning the president being defended by special agents as a defense for civilian gun rights is total hogwash, like every defense for civilian guns rights ever. The likelihood for such a controversial, black president getting assassinated is very high and it is necessary, don't be so thick.

lukertin 01-15-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirtl0l (Hozzászólás 33501119)
No... but you think a murderer using a knife is going to give you the chance to pull out a gun before he stabs you? Probably not if he wants to get away with it.

Yes. People who stab others to death do so bc they believe they wont encounter resistance. Most victims of stab wounds who die do so to multiple stab wounds bc it takes them a while to die and the stabber will stab repeatedly (they aren't cold blood kilers who can get in close and slit your throat).

Taking out a gun will scare those people away.

Quote:

Arming good people with guns to fight bad people with guns is only making another step towards destruction rather than peace. I'm not a religious person but Jesus did say something like turn the other cheek which I think applies here and is a good principle.
You are an idiot.

Quote:

Everyone dies... It doesn't make sense to be afraid of what fashion that it happens. If there is a consciousness after this one do you think you would care about how you died in your last life? It wouldn't be important... And if there isn't, it never mattered...

I've actually had a gun held to my head by someone who was berserk... I only thought, am I going to die now? Is this it? I thought I would be scared if I was ever actually in a deadly situation, but I wasn't.
Since everyone dies why do you care who has guns?

lukertin 01-15-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirtl0l (Hozzászólás 33501686)
If someone is out to kill you, you almost certainly got yourself into that mess. If all they want is your stuff, give them your stuff. Do you really want to live with yourself after you killed someone that was only desperate for your plasma screen or whatever? If yes, you're the type of scary person that should not own a gun.

You know why the US doesn't negotiate with terrorists? Its the same reason you don't give a burgular your stuff when you have other options at your disposal. Like shooting the guys knee cap.

Shirtl0l 01-15-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worstcase (Hozzászólás 33501525)
So what would you propose we do in order to ensure that good people are capable of fighting the bad people? Remember in the UK there are no guns as per the law, yet such murders do still happen. I do not see a better alternative means of fighting guns then with guns.

In the US gun murders per 100,000 people occur 41x more often than the UK.

Banning is affective.

lukertin 01-15-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirtl0l (Hozzászólás 33501799)
In the US gun murders per 100,000 people occur 41x more often than the UK.

Banning is affective.

You are officially a moron and thus, ignored due to your blatant stupidity.