League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Crystalline Flask MID lane (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2992635)

Night Spy2 01-11-2013 12:57 PM

Crystalline Flask MID lane

Hey guys I'm just wondering why Crystalline flask would or wouldn't be a good start for a mid laner.

For example starting Crystalline Flask + Faerie Charm + 2 HP pots on Kassadin.
This means you can build and early Chalice > Holy Grail which will help later on with rift stacking etc, and you won't be too susceptible to ganks, as Kassadin, being melee mid will most likely be last hitting under tower anyway... I've done this in most of my games where I go mid and find it works really well. It helps will sustain and allows you to spam Q more at lvl 1.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks!

corallein 01-11-2013 01:02 PM

It's fine. I like doing that on Ryze as well, in matchups where I don't absolutely need the extra MS from Boots.

For champions who won't use the Faerie Charm to build into anything, it's harder to justify. But you can substitute wards for it and it's still a fine starting item set.

Akimasu 01-11-2013 01:07 PM

It's 300 health, 120 mana for 225 gold. After your first back it probably isn't necessary, but even if it is it's 600 health, and 240 mana.

Before your first back that comes out to be: 70g worth of health pots, and ~35g in mana potions. totaling in ~110g worth of healing. Including your first back: 220g worth. If you didn't back, you could have just bought 4 health pots, and 2 mana pots giving you 600 hp, and 200 mana at a cheaper rate.

Sustain isn't bad, but I don't think the flask is ever worth it, personally.

Fate000 01-11-2013 01:23 PM

I start Flask + 2 wards + Pots in mid lane. Gives incredible sustain. (If I'm playing a manahungry champ I buy half-and-half of HP and MP pots).
On my first back I tend to grab boots and a Tome, more if possible. (boots + wand?)

adc 01-11-2013 01:34 PM

A champion that uses mana, assuming you sell the flask, pays it back after 4 uses. Without mana, 6 uses.

Night Spy2 01-11-2013 01:49 PM

Yea that's what I've thought. That after your 1st back you've already payed it off, and it can be useful all the way up to your 5th back (end of the laning phase), so you rack up all this extra gold instead of using it on pots! You could use all that extra money on wards or items!

Agent Of Doom 01-11-2013 02:49 PM

Wouldn't it still be better to start boots+pots mid if facing a skill-shot based champ mid so you can more easily avoid taking damage? But otherwise I think it is a good idea.

Lil Cuddles 01-11-2013 04:12 PM

I've seen some high elo streams of good mids taking it... personally I just don't like the item and thats why I never take it... most of the time when I play mid its with Zyra or Ahri and I feel that gold is more useful elsewhere...

corallein 01-11-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Of Doom (Hozzászólás 33386245)
Wouldn't it still be better to start boots+pots mid if facing a skill-shot based champ mid so you can more easily avoid taking damage? But otherwise I think it is a good idea.

Depends on the champion. With the movespeed changes, there are some skillshots that are sufficiently dodgeable (or jukeable) without boots. Even more so if you're running with movespeed quints and/or Nimbleness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akimasu (Hozzászólás 33383429)
Before your first back that comes out to be: 70g worth of health pots, and ~35g in mana potions. totaling in ~110g worth of healing. Including your first back: 220g worth. If you didn't back, you could have just bought 4 health pots, and 2 mana pots giving you 600 hp, and 200 mana at a cheaper rate.

And then you sell the flask for 90g. And two refills worth would be the MINIMUM amount of refills you get from it, and you underestimate the how long it remains useful.

Akimasu 01-12-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corallein (Hozzászólás 33389793)
Depends on the champion. With the movespeed changes, there are some skillshots that are sufficiently dodgeable (or jukeable) without boots. Even more so if you're running with movespeed quints and/or Nimbleness.

And then you sell the flask for 90g. And two refills worth would be the MINIMUM amount of refills you get from it, and you underestimate the how long it remains useful.

Yes, I agree, but my point was you can start the game with health and mana pots and stay in the lane twice as long - getting twice as much farm, denying twice as much farm if you got an early kill... etc.

I understand that it has its uses, I just personally don't like it - and I gave my reasons for it. :)