League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Questions for JarvanxShyvana shippers. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2987897)

Seven Score 01-09-2013 10:21 PM

Questions for JarvanxShyvana shippers.

Now I'll start off by saying that I am not a fan of JarvanxShyvana, and I actually dislike it quite a bit. But I'm curious as to what makes it so popular, seeing as it seems to be commonly accepted even among those that don't pay much attention to lore that a relationship between the two is possible.

My reasons for disliking the shipping is partly just not liking the idea of it and partly drawing the conclusion that it is incredibly unlikely based on canon. This is because, in a answer to a question about his romantic life in the Journal of Justice, Jarvan says:

“It is one of the King’s duties to produce an heir, and I owe it to my family to continue the legacy they started. In my travels I once met…[Jarvan here went silent for several moments]…but she is no more. I have not afforded much attention to romantic interests as of late. I trust that when the right woman enters my life, I will know it.”

This, to me, suggests that the woman he met had died or rejected him, and of course he has not pursued any interests since. It's definitely not Shyvana there. Also, in Shyvana's lore, there is no mention of anything beyond a friendship or respect between the two. Nothing in canon seems to suggest anything between them. Shipping them seems like shipping Varus and Ahri just because they're both Ionian ...

So with my inherent bias on this subject, I was wondering why everyone else seems to believe Shyvana and Jarvan are a possible couple. I mean, I guess it's fine for fanfiction, but people take it as canon. Could anyone offer me their view?

Renekton Bot 01-09-2013 11:01 PM

Male and female met and have done non-sexual things that involved one another.

To the internet, that means they also have ***.

edit: Or male and female are tangentially related somehow, either by political or national bonds. Means they're together.

Overlord Forte 01-09-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven Score (Hozzászólás 33332718)
Now I'll start off by saying that I am not a fan of JarvanxShyvana, and I actually dislike it quite a bit. But I'm curious as to what makes it so popular, seeing as it seems to be commonly accepted even among those that don't pay much attention to lore that a relationship between the two is possible.

My reasons for disliking the shipping is partly just not liking the idea of it and partly drawing the conclusion that it is incredibly unlikely based on canon. This is because, in a answer to a question about his romantic life in the Journal of Justice, Jarvan says:

“It is one of the King’s duties to produce an heir, and I owe it to my family to continue the legacy they started. In my travels I once met…[Jarvan here went silent for several moments]…but she is no more. I have not afforded much attention to romantic interests as of late. I trust that when the right woman enters my life, I will know it.”

This, to me, suggests that the woman he met had died or rejected him, and of course he has not pursued any interests since. It's definitely not Shyvana there. Also, in Shyvana's lore, there is no mention of anything beyond a friendship or respect between the two. Nothing in canon seems to suggest anything between them. Shipping them seems like shipping Varus and Ahri just because they're both Ionian ...

So with my inherent bias on this subject, I was wondering why everyone else seems to believe Shyvana and Jarvan are a possible couple. I mean, I guess it's fine for fanfiction, but people take it as canon. Could anyone offer me their view?

I like it for the idea of it being two warriors who grow into a romance over time, kind of deal. Both have their own unique issues with the subject and approaching it successfully would make for a good story. Jarvan has his royal duties and possibly his romantic past, depending on how well established that is. Shyvana has her draconian heritage and social upbringing. Lots of conflict potential to mesh what would be a warrior's romance kind of deal.

I feel inclined to state I don't think this is the default case, but I think it's a good one in lieu of any other alternatives. Shyvana and Jarvan being total bros is also completely acceptable, but in the realm of 'plausible romance material' there is something of a void. Lore wise, they are in close proximity with good chemistry potential. The farther you move away from that, the more 'out there' it becomes.

Shyvana and Riven is a pairing I've seen sprout up occasionally, for instance, and I think it has good chemistry potential. Unfortunately, it's never really played correctly since it's always short handed for 'LoL lesbians'.