League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Esports Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Pick Order>Calls prove it to me (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2982778)

JanosWuryon 01-08-2013 09:42 AM

Pick Order>Calls prove it to me

So im sick of players claiming this in champ select and then telling me Im the noob cause its in the summoner's code and I don't know it. First off I have read that thing like 50x looking for this magical rule about champ select and It is not there. I want this thread to accomplish 3 things.

1. Prove me wrong with a link/copy of these words anywhere in riot's summoner's code

2. When #1 doesn't happen, and it won't, someone tell me where this myth rule came from?

3. Lastly Im looking to see if my way of thinking about champ select is correct for solo/duo que.

AS follows.

Calls should represent where a player wants to play and where he is best at.
If there is confilct then the player who is good elsewhere should defer
(you shouldn't que in ranked if you can't play more than 1 role/champ but
thats another topic)
Under no circumstance do you troll over this. Since you can't win any game 4v5
the better players should change roles to keep people where they think they are best
No one should get trollish if they can't have their way. it happens and deal with it.

Lastly if you que up, can't play more than 1 role and dont get your way you should dodge, not the others. this is why we need a boot vote in champ select.

OK let me know if im crazy or not.

Baxter the Teddy 01-08-2013 08:43 PM

"Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If you’re the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasn’t already been filled."

I believe this is the line most people are refferring.

It shouldn't matter because you should be able to play ALL 5 roles, and people who don't will hit an ELO wall.

I agree 100%, but if you've already locked in a role kind of too bad. And the best players often DO defer to loet players get the roles they call. They can actually PLAY all the roles.

No, a boot vote is CRAZY exploitable.

Perhaps?

Thelohel 01-08-2013 08:56 PM

Pick order > calls by virtue of the fact that you cant stop them. Either accept that you wont always get the role you want or stick to blind pick. I call roles when I enter a game but im prepared to change it if someone higher takes it. Just how it goes.

Shesocold 01-09-2013 07:05 AM

With a little work this could work. I recently had a ranked teammate who owned the bare minimum number of champs, the ones he owned being AP carries (im assuming because he didnt own even the cheap champs for each role such as Ashe soraka etc. because no one was able to trade with him) and, at least in his recent past had never played anything other than AP mid. But someone else had already called mid was first pick and being considerate of bans and picks we wanted as the captain. And this guy just went off on us saying F*** off I'm going mid cuz I can't do anything else and you guys have to deal with it. No one wanted to dodge and put up with the penalty so I sucked it up and dodged. Petsonally I think it would have been easier to just kick him out and rematch. But I guess it didn't matter too much because the penalty kept me from rematching with him so I guess it wasn't all bad.

On the opposite side though, we could see a lot of abuse with this system. Such as people continuing to kick people until they are matched with a team where everyone has their desired role and conforms to the meta. Additionally it could destroy the other team's cohesive team where everyone is accommodating to each other and potentially placing the troll/inconsiderate player on their team.

To address the destruction of the content team's roster you could possibly leave their side intact and rematch only the one who was kicked onto the other team.

But this could lead to more abuse as the group of 4 could still continue to kick until they have someone willing to fill the 5th role. Additionally if you leave the content team intact they may be forced to wait a potentially long time while the other team is trying to fill their spot.

Those are the advantages and flaws. Address them if you want your idea to grow and become a viable option which I hope it does. It just needs these flaws addressed and solved before it can be functional.

+1 because I like the idea

JanosWuryon 01-09-2013 05:20 PM

I realize the potential for abuse with a boot vote but as long as you dont break the other 5 up and you dont penalize a person for getting booted the first time it could be a huge relief and anti troll measure.

that being said Im still looking for someone to tell me where this pick order in the summoners code myth started or where in print its located.

Larrythetapist 01-09-2013 05:29 PM

the rule is simply "don't be a jerk"

Shesocold 01-09-2013 06:09 PM

Larry the problem is that if you want succeed in solo queue you need to be a jerk at first to obtain your best role that can carry. If Xpecial had supported when he first started solo queue he most likely wouldn't have made it to the 2000s he now plays in. That's because a support can only help to maximize a team's damage output and does not add to the majority of the damage dealt. However to progress much past the lower end of elo you need a support on your team. So at some point when you begin feeling equally matched by your respective counter part you should begin filling roles that are needed by your team. Trust me. I sucked it up and played support for my team a few times, and I've lost every single time. Then I started being an a****** which was recommended by fellow summoners on one of my polls and I have won my lane each game and have a 60%ish win ratio as my mid lane. Yes we shouldn't be jerks and yes I don't like to but at the same time I want to win so I can play against better players and grow from those games.

Oh and Janos a possible idea to help make this a more safe option less prone to abuse could be to keep the ones who kicked their teammate intact and replace him with someone new but only give them the ability to do this once per queue time. It could still be used to kick the weakest player but at least you can't keep rematching for a dream team.

Orion69 01-10-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanosWuryon (Hozzászólás 33323432)
I realize the potential for abuse with a boot vote but as long as you dont break the other 5 up and you dont penalize a person for getting booted the first time it could be a huge relief and anti troll measure.

that being said Im still looking for someone to tell me where this pick order in the summoners code myth started or where in print its located.

Really? You couldn't read the first line of the first response to your post? Also, the pick order is usually skill order as well (as far as elo goes).

MrSimplyDiva 01-10-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion69 (Hozzászólás 33338760)
Really? You couldn't read the first line of the first response to your post? Also, the pick order is usually skill order as well (as far as elo goes).

LOL Skill order? Don't even get me started! Often when I solo I get stuck with a 1st pick mid or a 1st pick top that totally gets destroyed since he didn't want to swap champions with someone else and because he just totaly just flat out fails. It's so frustrating! You tell them in champion select that you will most likely get countered as first pick and all they say is " I don't care, pick order "

If relying on this unwritten rule makes you have to carry a 0-17 darius most of your games why doesn't anyone change it?

To add on to other people's posts, I do not think you can abuse the kicking system seeing as you are placed with 4 other random people. Therefore, 4 other opinions. If the guy isn't trolling, people won't kick him. It's rather obvious when someone wants to troll and ruin the game for the other 4 random players placed together that have hope to get decent teammates to have a nice time and play to win.

Shesocold 01-10-2013 11:44 AM

Lets look at it this way. You are 1900 elo and are matched with 1990 players one of them is going to lolking everyone. He says wow (so and so) is only 1900 elo let's kick him! At that higher level elo people can easily just lolking you and if you have a loss streak or lower elo a higher elo player will happily kick you to better their chances of improving their elo.