League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Volibear Help/Guide - A Fuzzy Teddy Bear (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2981759)

ThePaulrus94 01-07-2013 11:21 PM

Volibear Help/Guide - A Fuzzy Teddy Bear

Hey everyone,
I've been playing as Volibear for quite a while and he's definitely my favorite champion. Through research and experimentation, I've created a build that I believe works quite well for Volibear. It isn't great however and I would like help if you are an experienced LoL player or know Volibear well. Below is my build in the order of how the items are purchased. Feel free to use it all you want.

Start:
Boots of Speed
Health Potion x 2

Early Game:
Philosopher's Stone
Mercury Treads
Phage

Mid Game/Late Game:
Warmog's Armor
Frozen Mallet
Guardian Angel
Shurelya's Reverie

I'd like to add the item Zephyr to the list because the attack speed will really help with his ult and the cooldown reduction is also good. However, I don't know what I should get rid of in the build or where to put it. I'd also love any other tips to improve my Volibear build. Thanks everyone!

PogoPogoPogoPogo 01-07-2013 11:30 PM

Why would you start with boots and 2 potions if you can afford three?

Okay, end game build looks like this?

Mercury Treads
Warmog's Armor
Frozen Mallet
Guardian Angel
Shurelya's Reverie

That's only five items, so you can build Zephyr without getting rid of anything, but... I've got some problems with your build.

First off, I don't necessarily understand/like Shurelya's Reverie. And I feel like it's really only being built because you're building the Philosopher's Stone. If you want to supplement your income, why not build Avarice Blade in place of Philosopher's Stone (and as long as you're CSing well, this is more gold anyway) and then build it into Atma's Impaler later?

Atma's Impaler is an amazing Volibear item. The armor makes your large health pool that much more effective, and the extra AD makes your W passive that much better. Boots aside, Atma's should probably be the only item with no health you're building on Volibear.

I like Frozen Mallet, and Warmog's is a no-brainer on Volibear.

Like I said though, Atma's should probably be the only health-less item you build, in my opinion. Your W AND your passive actually scale to Health. So I really don't like Guardian Angel on Volibear... you shouldn't be dying that much really, and if the enemy team is focusing you that hard, then your ADC and AP mid are nuking the hell out of them. I mean, it takes SO long to kill Volibear, that your ADC or AP should have killed 3-4 of them by the time you're dead, easy. I think Guardian Angel would just shy people away from attacking you, which isn't really what you want.

If you're going to build Zephyr, I think you should probably build other boots. Whether Ninja Tabi, Beserker's Greaves, or Boots of Mobility, you're going to get the Tenacity on Zephyr, so you may as well build other boots. However, I honestly think Statikk Shiv may be a much better option than Zephyr. But either way... I'd prefer a health item still.

Runic Bulwark has some health on it, and will also give you and your teammates some MR, Armor, and HP5.
Spirit Visage has health, MR, and CDR on it for you, but the best part is, the passive on Spirit Visage makes your passive a lot stronger. And Spirit Visage is relatively cheap.
Randuin's Omen is a great item that will make your health pool last that much longer, and it'll help out your teammates a lot too.
Sunfire Cape is an option either in addition to or as an alternative to Statikk Shiv.
Black Cleaver... is Black Cleaver, and will help out your ADC a lot.
And Zeke's Herald, again, is another great option that can help out your teammates, and perhaps make your large health pool last a lot longer. In fact, Zeke's Herald and Spirit Visage makes a pretty decent combination.

deirin 01-07-2013 11:47 PM

voli passive work on his hp i think u got that
as well as his w

but, u lack armor/dmg...
maybe u should try sunfire cape
or randuin...if you plan to go all tanky...
both o em gives u more utility in teamfight...

but like you could also mix ad and ap
liandry torment add ap dmg to basic attack....considering your ulti is based on ap/attack speed and that your e is ap it might be good idea
liandry torment will not be enought by itself u'll need another ap item...maybe a rod of age
you could also get a malady with that...45%attack speed/25 ap/reduce mr on hit/deal magic dmg on hit

it'd be good also to put mixed ap/ad rune pen if you go mixed ad/ap build

ThePaulrus94 01-08-2013 12:31 AM

I meant three pots and yea thats my end game build but you forgot philos stone as well. So its those five plus philos stone. And yea I think Atmas would be a good replacement for guardian. Guardian doesn't offer that much but a revive when you die. I was also thinking the same thing, if I build Zephyr then I'd have to get different boots since the passives are the same. Plus, depending on the game, I only get up to about frozen mallet because the game ends before then.