League of Legends Community
12

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Any tips on surviving? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2977411)

Gmerr 01-06-2013 05:20 PM

Any tips on surviving?
 
I´m a level 5 summoner with 2 weeks of play, and i need help surviving.


Any tips?

Andarel 01-06-2013 05:31 PM

Every time you die, look at what killed you. What happened?

A mistake a lot of players make is to play way too aggressively, in which case there are four things that can kill you:
1. The enemy champion. If the enemy champ is stronger than you, they can and will turn and fight. If you die early, you are throwing your lane - if you keep trying to fight, they will find killing you easier and easier. This is why earlygame bush 2v2s are a bad idea unless you are definitely stronger than the enemy, and that's hard to judge as a new summoner.
2. Enemy minions. Minions actually really hurt, especially very early game (<lvl 5). If you autoattack the enemy champion, their minions will turn and start attacking you - step into a bush to shed minion aggro. This doesn't work if you attacked out of a bush, so try to step out of the bush, hit them, then step back in. Also, if you hit them with a skill the minions won't aggro.
3. Enemy towers. Don't take free damage, from enemies in general but especially from towers.
4. Enemy teammates. If you're pushed very far, you will have enemies come down the river to kill you. Try and only last-hit to kill minions, so you don't push. Also, buying wards so you can see the river will make it much harder for enemies to take you by surprise.

BurstDemon 01-06-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarel (Hozzászólás 33222202)
Every time you die, look at what killed you. What happened?

A mistake a lot of players make is to play way too aggressively, in which case there are four things that can kill you:
1. The enemy champion. If the enemy champ is stronger than you, they can and will turn and fight. If you die early, you are throwing your lane - if you keep trying to fight, they will find killing you easier and easier. This is why earlygame bush 2v2s are a bad idea unless you are definitely stronger than the enemy, and that's hard to judge as a new summoner.
2. Enemy minions. Minions actually really hurt, especially very early game (<lvl 5). If you autoattack the enemy champion, their minions will turn and start attacking you - step into a bush to shed minion aggro. This doesn't work if you attacked out of a bush, so try to step out of the bush, hit them, then step back in. Also, if you hit them with a skill the minions won't aggro.
3. Enemy towers. Don't take free damage, from enemies in general but especially from towers.
4. Enemy teammates. If you're pushed very far, you will have enemies come down the river to kill you. Try and only last-hit to kill minions, so you don't push. Also, buying wards so you can see the river will make it much harder for enemies to take you by surprise.

5. Have Fun.

Andarel 01-06-2013 06:51 PM

Unfortunately, having fun won't help you survive - though surviving is fun, so they are linked. Sometimes surviving is as simple as not listening to that little voice in your head that says he's right there over the river, I can get him when there's a jungler MIA and the enemy is sitting in a pile of their minions.

:[

BurstDemon 01-06-2013 06:56 PM

Yeah. But I mean to say, Have fun as in don't let trolls get you down!

Gmerr 01-07-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarel (Hozzászólás 33222202)
Every time you die, look at what killed you. What happened?

A mistake a lot of players make is to play way too aggressively, in which case there are four things that can kill you:
1. The enemy champion. If the enemy champ is stronger than you, they can and will turn and fight. If you die early, you are throwing your lane - if you keep trying to fight, they will find killing you easier and easier. This is why earlygame bush 2v2s are a bad idea unless you are definitely stronger than the enemy, and that's hard to judge as a new summoner.
2. Enemy minions. Minions actually really hurt, especially very early game (<lvl 5). If you autoattack the enemy champion, their minions will turn and start attacking you - step into a bush to shed minion aggro. This doesn't work if you attacked out of a bush, so try to step out of the bush, hit them, then step back in. Also, if you hit them with a skill the minions won't aggro.
3. Enemy towers. Don't take free damage, from enemies in general but especially from towers.
4. Enemy teammates. If you're pushed very far, you will have enemies come down the river to kill you. Try and only last-hit to kill minions, so you don't push. Also, buying wards so you can see the river will make it much harder for enemies to take you by surprise.

Thanks for the fast reply ,i´m not very good but i´ll use the tips

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurstDemon (Hozzászólás 33225461)
Yeah. But I mean to say, Have fun as in don't let trolls get you down!

thanks, and i like the optimism.

i´m new to LOL so i appreciate the tips very much.
Thanks again!

Rompemann 01-07-2013 05:55 AM

Andarel's post is great, but I just wanted to add that you can learn a lot about surviving outside of the game, too. Google things you're curious about, read these forums, find some guides or videos explaining basic aspects of the gameplay, like zoning, last hitting, positioning, jungling and much, much (much!) more. There is so much to learn about this game if you want to do well against other players.

Another important way to increase your survivability, is to increase your knowledge about the champions of LoL. A great way to do that is to test all the free champions at least once during their free week, even if it's just in a bot or custom game, so you have some clue as to what their abilities are. It can be very frustrating to get killed from an ability you didn't know a champion had, especially when you were sure you were going to be the one to kill them!

Gmerr 01-07-2013 06:35 AM

Thanks for all the tips! I´ll use them when i can!

Hiryuu16 01-07-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarel (Hozzászólás 33222202)
Every time you die, look at what killed you. What happened?

If you haven't expanded the Death Recap, I highly recommend it. It will tell you more about the types, amount, and sources of damage that went in to killing you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarel (Hozzászólás 33222202)
3. Enemy towers. Don't take free damage, from enemies in general but especially from towers.
4. Enemy teammates. If you're pushed very far, you will have enemies come down the river to kill you. Try and only last-hit to kill minions, so you don't push. Also, buying wards so you can see the river will make it much harder for enemies to take you by surprise.

To expand on this a bit, new players usually try to 'win' their lane by shredding the minions and pushing the enemy back to their tower. That leave you exposed and your opponents protected. Don't play their game. Ideally, you want the minion battle far enough out that your turret isn't killing them, but close enough that you can scurry to your turret if the enemy champs get aggressive.

Oddible 01-07-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiryuu16 (Hozzászólás 33239916)
To expand on this a bit, new players usually try to 'win' their lane by shredding the minions and pushing the enemy back to their tower. That leave you exposed and your opponents protected. Don't play their game. Ideally, you want the minion battle far enough out that your turret isn't killing them, but close enough that you can scurry to your turret if the enemy champs get aggressive.

^ This is the advice I always give in game when players say they are getting overwhelmed. You decide where the minion vs minion battle front will be by how fast you and your opponent kill minions. If you ONLY last hit, meaning the only time you ever hit a minion is right before it dies so you get the money, then likely the minions front will be pushed very close to your turret getting that extra defense. Of course too close and you will lose last hits to the turret which is bad too.

The other big thing already mentioned is that despite what one might think, this game is not about killing enemies. That is secondary to farming, defending towers and killing towers. Killing enemies is risky, don't do it unless you're sure you can get the kill without dying. A 1 to 1 trade is a bad trade. The only thing that can make a 1 to 1 trade a good trade is if you have a teammate that gets an assist and they don't.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:39 AM.
12


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc